mtbr member
    Oct 2005

OT - Seattle/Everett Area Relocation

For those living/having lived in the Seattle area, I seek some advice....

Just graduated from WWU and will be looking to move south this coming August. I'm a California native and haven't spent much time in the areas surrounding Seattle. I'll be working in Everett (Boeing) and seek your advice on areas to look at based on the following...

1. Commute to Everett - I'd like to keep it at about 30-40 minutes max each way. Based on the PM commute, that probably excludes anything south of downtown Seattle and anything south of Bellevue on 405.

2. Distance to Trails - Being currently about 8 minutes from Galbraith, I know I'm a bit spoiled. Japanese Gulch looks like a great spot for after work rides but I would like to take advantage of the area's other trails during the week. I will be getting off work around 3pm so I know I'll be fighting traffic majority of the time but being able to access a handful of trail system within 20-30 minutes each way would be fantastic.

3. Close Proximity to Bars/Restaurants/etc - Being able to walk or bike to numerous bars, restaurants, grocery stores, and shops here in downtown Bellingham is a huge plus. Having to use the car to go out all the time just doesn't appeal to me.

In order of importance, proximity to things probably takes first, with the commute to work and to the trailhead tied at second.

I highly doubt there is a perfect location, but any suggestions?

mtbr member
    If you want to be a little further north of Boeing, the Smokey Point/ Arlington area area is nice. It would be about 20 to 30 minutes away from Boeing and the Japanese Gulch, and about 10 to 15 minutes away from the 300th trail system. If you want to go a little further south then Mill Creek is a nice area for restaruants, shopping and bars. You would also be cloes the Japenese Gulch, Paradise Valley, and St Edwards Park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you can't live where you work and play, chose where you work over where you play. A 30 minute one way commute adds up to about 250 hours in your car every year. I'd start at Boeing and work your way outward.

orthonormal
    I think you're being extremely optimistic in thinking Bellevue or downtown Seattle will be a max of 30-40 minutes to/from Everett. When I was living up there, my office was in Fremont and I lived in Redmond. My commute in was 30 minutes if I left before 7:00 am but easily double if something held me up at home. Heading home, it could take 30+ minutes just getting from Fremont to the Montlake onramp on 520.

Live as close to work as possible.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member

Mulikteo

If I was a wide eyed young man looking for a place like you describe. try old town Mulikteo, there is a bus that goes to Boeing from the ferry dock, you have the gulch for mountain biking and the Island for some good road riding. a few good bars and restaurants right in out your door.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Since you are young and enjoy the college scene don't settle for living close to the Everett Boeing plant. You'll feel like you're living in Exile. Move closer to the bars where you and your friends will be hanging out. The DUI laws are getting tougher and tougher and tougher. You don't want to be driving home after having even a couple beers.

After you start working at Boeing find a Rideshare group to join. There are bound to be numerous rideshares leaving from all over the Seattle or Eastside area. Seattle/Kirkland ---> Everett Boeing is reverse-commute = Great!

If you drive yourself to work with bike you can ride Jap Gulch post work. That's a hard to beat proposition.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for all the advice so far. I'll have to look into Mukilteo as it certainly satisfies being close to work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi Matt,
    I'm not as familiar with the riding options up near Everett since I live south of Seattle, but I have a few mtn biking friends who live in Edmonds and really love it. Cute town with loads of restaurants and whatnot right on the water. Ferry to the penninsula right there. And probably 15-20 min commute or less depending on exactly where you live. Plus it's a little less out in the boonies than Mukilteo.