Thread: OT: campfires

Slothful dirt hippie

No good OT: campfires

Just putting this out there as a PSA of sorts....

Right now there's a statewide ban on fires on DNR and state ground. Fed is under their own jurisdiction and sounds like there's a patchwork of Forest Service areas in Kittitas Co where fires are also banned- I would assume this is also the case in other ranger districts. There is also a county-wide burn ban.

With all that said: even if it's LEGAL to have a campfire someplace right now, it's probably a very bad idea. Everything is literally crispy over here right now and multiple fires have already been reported burning down into roots where people had a heck of a time getting them out and had to call the FS crews to dump a bunch of water on it. And if you haven't noticed, we've had a few bad fires already here in Washington and more in Oregon. Today one firefighter died and another was injured down near Sisters OR falling trees on a line.

Let's not add to the problems.

***Now back to your regularly scheduled programming***
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    Right now there's a statewide ban on fires on DNR and state ground.
    I second that. I just came back from your stopping grounds and there's a new, thankfully small burn, on the shoulder of I-90 somewhere between here and there.

Dry is dry!
    Rolland

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Gotta love those people who seem to think that throwing a lit cigarette out the window of the car is okay...dumb asses.

It's even starting to really dry out above Brinnon. Been doing some FS road riding in that are and it is surprising how fast it goes from semi-wet to dry conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sagebrush Slug View Post
    I second that. I just came back from your stopping grounds and there's a new, thankfully small burn, on the shoulder of I-90 somewhere between here and there.

Dry is dry!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

I didn't do it
    Or those yahoos who think its OK to leave a trashy fire pit smolder after they leave for the weekend. Or the other (or same) yahoos who can't have a weekend without fireworks while in the forest.

Cat Herder
    I've seen two fires in as many weeks along I-90: one at the base of Gem State at 27 - being extinguished by a heli as I drove past! - another at Exit 34 just south of the truck stop up on the mtn. Let's be safe out there!
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just back from 2 days on the "DRY" side. Rained for 2 hours Friday morning and you couldn't even tell by 5 p.m.... Scary dry.