mtbr member

Orcas Island/Mt Constitution trails

Hi, heading to Orcas Island for a week in June and looking for any trail info. I've done a bit of research and it seems that Mt. Constitution is the place to go. However, I read something about trails being closed to bike after May 15th. Is that ALL trails or just the seasonal multi-use trails?

I plan on checking in at Wildlife Cycles when we get there but if trails are closed it may not be worth it to even bring a bike..

Any trail recommendations/specific routes within the park or elsewhere? I'm an experienced rider and don't mind climbing to earn my downhill.

Thanks
    Why do you talk to me this way. When you know that I will kill you for this?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Pretty much all of them. Except the pseudo legit DH trail I believe...

mtbr member
    bummer.

Saw a video of what I assume is the DH trail you're talking about on youtube. Looks like its built into powerlines? Looks fun. Is there a climb trail up or is it a shuttle situation?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's never a "shuttle situation", you can always ride up....

In this case, you can either ride up trail or a paved road.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryebread View Post
    Hi, heading to Orcas Island for a week in June and looking for any trail info. I've done a bit of research and it seems that Mt. Constitution is the place to go. However, I read something about trails being closed to bike after May 15th. Is that ALL trails or just the seasonal multi-use trails?
    There are some trails open. Marked red on this map. Park at Cascade Lake - you can get a good climb up near Mt Pickett(staying on the red) and a nice descent but I would avoid the right "corner" of the park. That trail is steep down and steep up(pushing) and no flow. If you plan to do the road up Mt. Constitution do it in the morning-less traffic.
    Orcas Island/Mt Constitution trails-moran-st-park-mtb-trails.jpg

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    It's never a "shuttle situation", you can always ride up....

In this case, you can either ride up trail or a paved road.....
    I know you're just trolling, but if it's DH, shuttle it. And yes, OP, you can shuttle this trail. I've only ridden Constitution in winter, have no idea what you can ride (if any) rest of the year.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No "trolling" intended at all Juice. Simply stating a fact since the OP stated they didn't mind earning their turns.

The open trails were noted right above here though I am not sure it is "current" given the BBTC designation on the map. Pretty easy to figure that one out though and way more trail that I recall being open all year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here is the official map from the Parks dept.
    http://www.parks.wa.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/1910

My reading of the official map is that the trail on the west side and summit of Mount Pickett is open only 15 Sept-15 May as well and that the east side of Pickett is hiker only. If you stay south of Mount Pickett though, including across the southern saddle of it, you are ok for bikes year round.

So, it looks to me that the old BBTC map is still accurate.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    All helpful info thanks a ton.

mtbr member

Re: Orcas Island/Mt Constitution trails

That lower right hand corner of the map is where Grant and I wished we had skipped but we did a fair job of sawing out trees. We had been down the mountain with small pockets to saw then up to top of Pickett then down and right on map we sawed out easy stuff until the big outside corner and we took shortcut inside line to run home. We spent 3 hours sawing down from picket down to that corner may 10th.. We tried to quit but it was thickets we had to either fight through or cut through.

So be aware there may be trees on those last outside red lines on bottom right corner of that map.
    Last edited by paleo; 05-31-2014 at 10:15 PM.