Thread: OMG snow!

mtbr member

OMG snow!

Seriously though. Living in Seattle for the past 17 years I've only ridden in snow a couple of times and then it was a couple of fluffy inches on top of what was essentially wet (not frozen) ground.

Now I'm commuting in to school at 0630 and last night it was slippery just walking to the grocery store a block away because of the thin layer of ice over the ground. The snow isn't sticking in my neighborhood, but it's freezing out. Every other neighborhood seems worse from what I'm seeing.

So, the next couple of days I have to get from Greenwood to Capitol Hill and the weather reports seem to genuinely be expecting not only snow but icy conditions. Should I just bag it and try and take the bus? I've never really ridden in icy conditions before and didn't think I'd be needing studded tires in Seattle! I'm wondering if I'll lose traction and just not be able to actually climb up Capitol Hill at all and end up trying to walk up the hill with my bike in those slippery conditions.

I'm thinking of investing in a pair of studded tires so I don't have to worry about it in the future, but I'm pretty sure no bike shop in town carries them, so I'm S.O.L. for tomorrow and the next day!

FKA Malibu412
    For some reason, this thread reminds me of this:

Shocking News Cast - YouTube
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Knobs will be fine, studs are for ice. If it gets bad work and school will be canceled.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    Knobs will be fine, studs are for ice. If it gets bad work and school will be canceled.
    Work won't get canceled for me, I work at a hospital! School is iffy, if it gets bad enough it WILL get canceled, but when I ride in at 0630 it just might be icy enough for me to not be able to climb the steep hill it is on, and not otherwise bad enough to cancel college for everyone for the day.

I normally run skinny Continental Gatorskins (26 x 1 & 1/8th) on my commuter, unfortunately I don't think I've got room for by big knobbies under the fenders and the fenders are too much of a pain to remove. My touring rig doesn't have fenders on it but needs some work before it's roadworthy.

At the moment I am going to attempt it on my commuter MTB with the skinny tires this morning if class doesn't get canceled, and then make up a set of studded tires during the day tomorrow and get the touring bike running well enough to roll those in the next two days. I'll have to wake up an hour early this morning to give me time to walk partway or try and catch the totally unreliable buses if my commuter can't climb Capitol Hill in the early morning ice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    FYI the downtown REI carries Nokian Extremes (26" I think). They're not cheap, but awesome to ride if you've never tried them.