mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Old school rider?

Latest dirt rag mag has an article discussing old and new riding styles. Old is referred to as xc, new is enduro-gravity.
    I'm stuck with the concept that if I don't ride up it, I'm missing out.
    I was involved with a large plan project recently putting in some very easy xc that would be for beginners, etc. The plan is to put burms on this stuff also. Do all trails now have to be burmed, even slow xc?

mtbr member
    It's just the current trend. North Shore style bridges and features use to be all the rage, skinnies were huge at one time, but right now everything seems to lean toward fast flowy trails that are smooth and full of berms.
    2013 Stumpy Evo

JRA
    mtbr member
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Old style for me I guess.

mtbr member
    You have to admit smooth and flowy can be fun. I see guys on 7" FR bikes ripping down the Bootcamp DH with huge smiles on their face.
    2013 Stumpy Evo

Slothful dirt hippie
    People we call 'old school' (and we include ourselves in that category) are typically willing to ride good/meh/crappy singletrack, good/meh/crappy doubletrack, bushwhack, participate in extended HAB, explore the unknown, etc. It's an attitude born of making do with whatever already existed because there weren't trails built specifically for bikes back in the day.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Just roll it......
    I think if you're reading Dirt Rag, you can already already consider yourself "old school".

Beginner friendly trails and slow/tech xc are different, IMO. Tapeworm, as an example, is slow xc, but not necessarily what I'd consider beginner friendly.

EB

mtbr member
    I just like to ride, for 20 years I've enjoyed everything from Phils trails, to New England slow rocky twisty trails, pure DH, even some long dirt roads.

Also, Dirt Rag has gone downhill the last couple years IMO.

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    I think if you're reading Dirt Rag, you can already already consider yourself "old school".

Beginner friendly trails and slow/tech xc are different, IMO. Tapeworm, as an example, is slow xc, but not necessarily what I'd consider beginner friendly.

EB
    In a lot of ways, I prefer slow XC over everything, because the slower you roll, the more frustrating and technical a trail can become. ESPECIALLY something like Tapeworm.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Great post! even if ur not OLD, school.... OK, who here ever had like those narrow bullhorn bars, on a 135mm or longer stem? canti-lever style rim brakes? top-mount non-index thumb shifters? how about lets bring back 1" headsets?!? now that stuff ROCKS!
    Ride ON!
    Lifelong biker, MTBer since '86 when got me Ross Mt Whitney XC rig... Life is a circle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I agree with everyone on where we've been. My first mtb was a road bike geometry 'mtb' by Bianci in the 80's and rigid. We rode whatever we had and I was happy, still am. All concepts of what works for ya is good. I do like slow tech stuff that will test your handling skills. Also like good xc flow trails like Porter. Big on adventure also. Like don't do the Loowit trail on St Helens. cheers

mtbr member
    I'm a gravity DH/FR junkie, but I still spend most of my time at St. Eds, due to location. I enjoy all type of trails, and think we should maintain diversity to have trails that suit all types of riders.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Bring on the top mount shifters, steel fork, 1 inch headset, 150 mm stem, and roller cam brakes. I still ride that stuff a lot. Starting with my '86 MB-1 that is still going strong. How about an old mountain bike ride sometime this Summer?