mtbr member

Ocean Shores/Aberdeen Trails

I am going to in Ocean Shores for Memorial Day Weekend and am wondering if there are any trails close by, other than running down to Capitol Forest ?
    2013 Ellsworth Carbon Evolve XT
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment XTR
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment SS

Bike Shop Employee

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Nope. Rent a scooter, cook bbq on the beach, and fly a kite. That is your future there.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    The closest "decent" trail system are at Lake Sylvia, which is about 20 minutes east of Aberdeen, so it is 45+ minutes from Ocean Shores.

Fat bikes are fun in the sand, but renting a scooter is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wynoochee? About a 50 minute drive from Montesano, so not real close, but doable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    Wynoochee? About a 50 minute drive from Montesano, so not real close, but doable.
    Humptulips is even closer. i've heard that Wynoochee is usually in poor shape, but things might have changed in recent year?

Humptulips is a very primitive trail. Multiple river crossings and route finding. It's got beautiful scenery, but you likely won't make it very far on a bike, and with the river temps and height, you likely won't make it past the first river crossing.

Used to have a pal who lived in Aberdeen, Capitol was where he rode.

S. Fork Skokomish is an option, and you can learn back trails in Montesano, and Shelton but yah...

If i had a fat bike i'd take it, otherwise...
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've heard of good trails at Wynoochee Lake and I've re-conned a little on the Humptulips Trail... flows are probably a little high right now for all the fords... I hear there's an extreame amount of river crossing on that one. Best to ride it in late Summer. I ride the beach's there allot on a fat bike... but I rode them allot before I had a FB too. Time it with the low tide and a reg. mtb can cover quite a bit of beach. Wash your bike off after and spray the **** out of the chain with good 'ol WD-40 at night to keep it from rusting.

Planning to be at OS M-Day weekend with my Family as well. I'll be pedaling on the beach's every chance I get. Do you have access to a Pugs or Mukluk?

mtbr member
    Ward, I don't have access to a Fat bike yet, but maybe I can guilt Jeremy Friesz into lending me his for that weekend.. I would love to meet up with you. That was on my short list of things to do this week, contact you and see if you were going to be there. If you haven't figured it out , this Phillip .
    2013 Ellsworth Carbon Evolve XT
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment XTR
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment SS

Bike Shop Employee

Slothful dirt hippie
    When we were down there last year we spent a couple fun days towing the kid on the TAB down the beach to the jetty, and also trying to find that bit of road on the leeward side peninsula where the shipwreck used to be. Probably could have gotten farther with a fat bike especially on the latter, but it was reasonable amusement. Having a bike to hop on to cruise to town was nice at any rate.

FWIW we tried rinsing and lubing during and after, and still came back with a pretty ugly sounding drive train. Definitely NOT a job for your A-list bike.

I wish there was a place to rent kyaks, because there's a pretty extensive canal system there that would be really cool to check out. We tried a paddle boat and it was a cool trip but the darn thing knackered us without getting very far.

FWIW we stayed at a little place just right of where you turn onto the main drag called "Chris's by the Sea"... it's a true little old mom-and-pop place with tiny rooms, but they were all very clean, ours included a kitchenette, and they've got a little fire pit right off the parking lot. You can walk right from there to the beach. The couple that owns it are REALLY nice... it's like staying at the grandparent's, lol. I'm not a huge beach fan but that was a really fun family vacation and it didn't cost a fortune.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wabiker3576 View Post
    Ward, I don't have access to a Fat bike yet, but maybe I can guilt Jeremy Friesz into lending me his for that weekend.. I would love to meet up with you. That was on my short list of things to do this week, contact you and see if you were going to be there. If you haven't figured it out , this Phillip .
    Cool! I'll PM you...

mtbr member
    Up until about 5 years ago, my inlaws had a house in Ocean Shores, I usually rode the Wynoochee Lake trail. It's a nice drive to the lake from Ocean Shores and the trail was fun. The last time I was there, about 5 or 6 years ago, the trail was in very poor shape, wash outs and plenty of downed trees.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Moist and Delicious
    Considering all that FS land between Hoquiam and OS, you'd think there'd be a number of gray trails in the woods. I've searched for years, but never found anything out there. Back in '94, a kid at the local shop (since closed) told me he'd show me around a trail system out there that was hush hush, but he never showed at our scheduled meeting. Oh well.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."