mtbr member

The NW side of Capitol Forest?

Any recommendations for some light to moderate trail riding for a couple of mostly out of shape riders for the NW side of Capitol Forest?

Were going to be camping with some friends at Porter Creek campground Fri/Sat and maybe Sunday. Getting there via a sedan, so there are parts of the forest we probably can't get to, so I'm wondering if there are suitable trails on the side of the forest we are going to be at.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member

RE: The NW side of Capitol Forest?

Ride up 8 from porter or ride up a logging road and take 8 back to Porter. Best trail in the forest.

mtbr member
    ^ PLUS ONE!!!
    If your camped at porter you can either ride the road(C-1000) or drive up to Camp Wedekin and take the Porter#8 trail back down. However the last and best part of the trail no longer exsists which took you back to the camp ground. When you arive at the T in the road thats the end of the Porter trail. If you ride the road up take a left at the T to Camp Wedekin. I like to park at the T and ride either the trail up or road to the top and back down. Its by far one of THE best trails in Capitol. Killer flowy fast descents and no major climbs its perfect, at one point in the trail your pass by a beaver dam. From the T, if you ride the road up its about 13, 14 mile ride round trip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There is a new section of trail established which runs just below the washout on MP8, now renamed Porter, that takes you down to the intersection of B-Line and B-1000. This is very near the Porter campground.

mtbr member
    Many thanks! You folks deliver!

I've seen mention of these numbered trails "8", "6" etc, but I don't recall seeing them on the online maps of the forest. Is there another map I should be looking at?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    As long as you stay on the porter trail yer all good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Go to the Capitol Forest website, Maps, and find the DNR map. It has the new map with all of the trail name changes. It shows the new Porter connector section from the washout to near the Porter campground. The site also has the old map with all the "8" and "6" names. On the old map, keep in mind that Greenline 6, from Wedekind to Porter, no longer exists., hasn't for a long time, too many washouts. \
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    Many thanks! You folks deliver!

I've seen mention of these numbered trails "8", "6" etc, but I don't recall seeing them on the online maps of the forest. Is there another map I should be looking at?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Thanks again everyone!

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I'd like to tag off this thread rather than start a new one. I live on Kitsap Peninsula and haven't ridden much outside of Kitsap/Olyimpic Pen. I was thinking about getting out somewhere different this weekend and I am currently thinking either Capitol Forest or Tiger Mountain and I've never been to either. For those that have ridden both places what would you recommend?

Looking at the new Capitol Forest map something like the Porter Trail looks great as far as distance. 15-20ish miles as I'm taking my wife. I have been wanting to check out Tiger though. Thoughts? Tiger or Capitol?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Kitsap Mountain Biking, web page or Facebook. Mucho information and ride options, too many to list here. FYI, we venture to Capitol 2 or 3 times per month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    Kitsap Mountain Biking, web page or Facebook. Mucho information and ride options, too many to list here. FYI, we venture to Capitol 2 or 3 times per month.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know about all kinds of ride options in the area. For this weekend I was planning to ride either Capitol Forest or Tiger Mountain for something different (for the first time at either). I was just hoping for some personal opinions on which of those two you'd prefer/recommend first - Tiger or something like the Porter Trail at Capitol? Thanks!

mtbr member

Thanks again!

Wanted to thank everyone again! We were camping with some friends and the group decided to swap the days we went shooting from Sunday to Saturday so we didn't have someone to drop us off at the top and ride the Porter trail all the way down. We instead drove up to where Wedekind meets the C-Line and explored some from there.

We were really impressed with the condition of the trail and all the obvious work that has been done on it. Very well maintained! Is this all volunteer effort or does the state have a hand in it too?

I took a few photos of the phenomenal view from Wedekind to the east just north of the very short burned section. I'm at work at the moment but will post them here in the morning when I get off.

We enjoyed it there so much we are taking advantage of a borrowed car and a couple of days off to go out there Tuesday evening and set up camp so we can do some more mountain biking Wedsnesday and Thursday. Of course open to suggestions for easy trails for older, out of shape, overweight folks!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    There's a short section when you are coming from Wedekind northeast towards the Green Line where there was a fire at one point not too long ago. The trail makes a little bend and you spy Mount Rainier in the distance.

The NW side of Capitol Forest?-016.jpg

Pulling forward a little further actually gives a spectacular view with Mt. St. Helens visible and Mt. Adams as well. Although they were plainly visible to the naked eye, my phone camera wasn't really able to pick them up.

The NW side of Capitol Forest?-036.jpg

The images pop a little bigger if you click on them. You might just be able to make out Mt. St. Helens at the right edge of the frame and that little white spot to the right of center is actually Mount Adams. Too bad the pic didn't turn out a little better, it was striking to the naked eye. I'll be bringing our digital camera this week and plan to go up to Capitol peak.

The NW side of Capitol Forest?-025.jpg

The view just a few yards north down the gravel road (C Line?) at the intersection of Wedekind and the Greenline:

The NW side of Capitol Forest?-054.jpg

The view looking up the slope from the very nice bridge over the creek on Wedekind:

The NW side of Capitol Forest?-076.jpg

The view downslope from the bridge:

The NW side of Capitol Forest?-078.jpg

Most of this area is forest like this, with a very nice and well maintained trail.
    We saw occasional caches of wood or cement blocks, evidence of on-going work to keep these trails in great shape.

Some low-life stole my dedicated mountain bike a few weeks back and I haven't had a chance to replace it. I was forced to slap together a build from the '91 Sekai I still have kicking around that I used as a commuter while I was building up my '93 GT Outpost for commuting duties.

The NW side of Capitol Forest?-082.jpg

I ended up replacing the brake levers with Alivio units scavenged off my girlfriends Novarra Safari's trekking bars. She hated the trekking bars and the grip shifters they came with, when I replaced it with integrated rapidfire pods and levers (& a riser bar) the brake levers were surplus. The Sekai's brakes themselves were total garbage so I ordered the Nashbar cantilevers just to put something decent on it when I sell it or give it away, but I am absolutely blown away by how these work!

I've always been a fan of decent cantilevers, but these are perhaps the best I've set up. Other than the squealing, I'm actually jealous of how well these are working at the moment compared to the vintage XTR's and Tektro 720's I'm using daily, and I've always been pretty happy with those. At one point I was slowing and almost at a stop, and looked over my shoulder to see how far behind me my girlfriend was and squeezed the front brake lever just a little more and almost threw myself over the handlebars!
    Last edited by Medic Zero; 07-29-2013 at 06:46 AM.