Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 60
  1. #1
    I should be out riding
    Reputation: ACree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,499

    Not many rides on the Evergreen calendar these days...

    Sure seems like the number of rides posted on the calendar has decreased the past few years. Any ideas why? Should Evergreen be doing more to encourage ride postings, and/or upgrading the calendar itself?

  2. #2
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,112
    I bet it's Facebook. I think it's just a little easier for some folks to just put out the call on social media and organize that way.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    ACREE's just trying to stir the pot. He knows why...

    Winter usually dies way back as it is anyways. But, there is no real formal "Ride Leader" program now to encourage this nor much of a connection IMHO between the wildly popular Boot Camps and what to do after that....

    But, yeah, meetup groups, Facebook, etc are the death knell of the ride calendar. Why chance riding with people you don't know if you don't have to? Plus, all anyone wants to ride is Duthie and who needs a ride calendar posting for that?

  4. #4
    I should be out riding
    Reputation: ACree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,499
    Not entirely true. I have opinions on why, whether the calendar is important, etc., and really am curious about others views on it. Stirring the pot is bonus. You shouldn't have to do it all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    ACREE's just trying to stir the pot. He knows why...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    Well the PMs calling me a pompous a$$, troll, etc are down as of late...

    Yeah, I'm gonna have to stay out of this one and the hancock cost thread and just watch them develop. It's snow season now anyways.

  6. #6
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to stay out of this one and the hancock cost thread and just watch them develop. It's snow season now anyways.
    I was going to ask how you were getting wifi reception from the Crystal parking lot...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,142
    It definitely has slowed down. Mid summer our Wednesday night rides averaged 14 people. Since the rains returned we average 4.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    I see a lot more "clique" rides like this going on through various FB posts nowadays. Not that there's anything wrong with them. It's seems to be more of a trend now. Or, at least more visible post (and often, during) ride via social media. I'd be interested in why Lynch doesn't just also put them on the calendar as well. (Though I think I already know the answer...)

  9. #9
    I should be out riding
    Reputation: ACree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,499
    No doubt Facebook has had an impact, but I think the trend has been heading this way for some time. IMO, rides on the calendar were valuable, and I used to go on lots, and lead some. And yes, I haven't done as much of either in recent years, part of the problem I'm sure. Anyway, just curious why others don't post rides or join rides as much as in the past.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    I see a lot more "clique" rides like this going on through various FB posts nowadays. Not that there's anything wrong with them. It's seems to be more of a trend now. Or, at least more visible post (and often, during) ride via social media. I'd be interested in why Lynch doesn't just also put them on the calendar as well. (Though I think I already know the answer...)
    During the summer we would almost have too many guys showing up, and thats without posting on Evergreen. The rides are usually on the Center Cycle facebook page though, so a ton of locals know about it. One night at Black Diamond we has 22 guys and broke into two groups, and we have had 18+ several times at Tapeworm.
    I have an email group that receives weekly emails about our wednesday/sunday rides and weekday trail work. If anyone is interested in getting on the list just PM me your email address! It is easier to send out a weekly email covering everything, vs posting multiple times on Evergreen.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jimba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    631
    I just posted a ride last Tue and had 9 people show up, I'm doing my part.

    Anyone can post, have at it. It is a slow time of year.

  12. #12
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Well the PMs calling me a pompous a$$, troll, etc are down as of late...

    Yeah, I'm gonna have to stay out of this one and the hancock cost thread and just watch them develop. It's snow season now anyways.
    I will have to work on fixing that.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    I see a lot more "clique" rides like this going on through various FB posts nowadays. Not that there's anything wrong with them. It's seems to be more of a trend now. Or, at least more visible post (and often, during) ride via social media. I'd be interested in why Lynch doesn't just also put them on the calendar as well. (Though I think I already know the answer...)
    I will be posting rides to the Evergreen calendar again when the dry side conditions are more reliable. I like meeting some new people and showing them our trails. I do tend to describe the rides as tougher than I think they are and have ended up with pretty good groups in the past.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    372
    on the topic, what kind of rides do people want to see posted?
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

    Sustainable quality trails please.

  15. #15
    Last word is all yours...
    Reputation: r1de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    I was going to ask how you were getting wifi reception from the Crystal parking lot...
    It doesn't reach far outside the Bullwheel. But it was working great in there today, between turns.
    --
    -bp

  16. #16
    Squeaky Wheel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,286
    Plenty of work parties posted and all help is appreciated.

    (like this one: Evergreen MTB Calendar)

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    15
    OK, I'll bite ... I have noticed that the mountain bike groups are extremely cliquey after moving back here in May and participating in a few rides . I like the EMBA calendar to go on rides that I might not normally had the chance to do; mainly due to unfamiliarity with the area and trails. This summer was unfortunately hectic due to work and couldn't get out much... did you enjoy Glasgow as much as I Jimba?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    365
    Hey Everyone,
    Thrilled to see this timely thread. One of our newer members, Ryan Field, has graciously agreed to be our Volunteer Ride Leader coordinator this year. He moved here from Colorado over the summer, and was part of a very active rides program with his local org. He's got loads of great ideas.

    So he's going to be working to ensure we have some regular, weekly rides both locally and ranging farther out. Plus rides for beginners and ladies regularly. And be our point person for ride leader questions.

    We're also going to offer two ride leader training events in the spring and early summer where we'll invite interested people to come out and learn more about leading good rides, and get their questions answered. Hopefully this will help encourage more folks to lead rides and more riders to participate.

    All that said, any thoughts y'all have on types of rides or locations, or how to improve this program, would be much appreciated. We're excited to fill the calendar with rides once again!

    Thanks!!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

  19. #19
    I just wanna ride my bike
    Reputation: TheotherH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I like meeting some new people and showing them our trails.
    And thank you for that (although we tend to end up riding your recommended trails more often without you than with you. Need to fix that. )

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,730
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenStacy View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    Thrilled to see this timely thread. One of our newer members, Ryan Field, has graciously agreed to be our Volunteer Ride Leader coordinator this year. He moved here from Colorado over the summer, and was part of a very active rides program with his local org. He's got loads of great ideas.
    That's cool.

    With all due respect attending the last ride leaders forum, it didn't do much to motivate me, but actually scare me a bit. And by that i mean it really seemed to put a burden upon a ride leader where there were liabilities and expectations put upon a rider (through "designation").

    Not to say that leading a group comes with zero responsibility. There certainly are important factors, and attributes that make up for a good ride leader. But i fear once you have put forward designations, and make for "official" ride leaders, it's going to really open up volunteers to higher expectations, many of them unnecessary.

    i like the idea of knowledge being passed through standards. i like the idea of comprehensive ratings allowing both leaders and groups to best understand the type of ride. And with that the burden should fall to Evergreen staff on creating and updating clear and simple guidelines and standards that works.

    Everybody would like a full calendar where folk can discover fun new trails, and meet/reacquaint/ride with more folk within our "shared" community, for that's what it's really all about.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    372
    I'll get out and lead some rides next season. I would have this year if someone thought they needed my bike more then I did back in July. Anyone interested in some meandering all day adventure trail rides?
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

    Sustainable quality trails please.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: portnoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    272

    Or it might be...

    ...that they've been riding together for 15 to 20 years, know each other very, very well, and have a specific vibe they are going for on any given ride.

    It's easy to label a tight knit group who have been riding together that long as clicky, and obliquely criticize them in the process, when what you are really experiencing is simply how it feels for somebody new to ride with a group this established.

    I've been riding with my guys since 1991. We have, literally, grown up together and have been riding the whole time we've done it. It actually isn't hard to enjoy a ride with the big group (over 20 guys), or the three or more smaller groups we've broken into by necessity (fewer than 10 guys). Even today on any give ride you'll get a combination of dudes that bring a different dynamic on any given day. What you do is show up and bring good beer, an open mind, a good sense of humor, be considerate, and don't fight the vibe. Guys who do this enjoy riding with the group. Guys who don't, don't. And that's not bad at all-- you need to find the people who are riding for the same reason you ride-- if they aren't those people you aren't going to feel like you fit in.

    I wish you the best of luck finding your guys (or gals).

    M-

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenuous View Post
    OK, I'll bite ... I have noticed that the mountain bike groups are extremely cliquey after moving back here in May and participating in a few rides . I like the EMBA calendar to go on rides that I might not normally had the chance to do; mainly due to unfamiliarity with the area and trails. This summer was unfortunately hectic due to work and couldn't get out much... did you enjoy Glasgow as much as I Jimba?
    I'll be along... eventually.

  23. #23
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,286
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    on the topic, what kind of rides do people want to see posted?
    Unicorn rides!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    15
    I just meant it more from the perspective that some of us haven't had that oppertunity or are transplants trying to fit into a new group. There seem to be only a small handful of people who are considerate and post their rides, but many more who have their groups.

    I'm not looking to meet your wife and kids or anything ... which is why I'm not all like hey, you ... me facebook BFF's and crap. Just looking to mountain bike is all.

    EDIT: Too funny, and perfect timing. Seattle times article about the "Seattle Freeze" ... spent too much time lurking and not enough time posting to share the link.
    Last edited by Tenuous; 12-04-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Topical

  25. #25
    I should be out riding
    Reputation: ACree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    I'll get out and lead some rides next season. I would have this year if someone thought they needed my bike more then I did back in July. Anyone interested in some meandering all day adventure trail rides?
    All day epics (perhaps redundant) are the best kind, and my favorite on the calendar. I've certainly seen places I wouldn't have thought to go due to rides being posted on the calendar, and gotten to know a lot of people and trails that I otherwise would have missed, or taken longer to find.

  26. #26
    Squeaky Wheel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,286
    It could be that technology has just passed up the Evergreen ride calendar. Many use other mediums (Facebook, meetup) to arrange rides and those mediums are more interactive in nature with discussions, chats and the ability to upload photos and videos from the ride. This seems to be the new norm.

    Perhaps Evergreen should think about using the calendar for more official events and adopt something like meetup.com for rides. The club gets a more modern interface, links to facebook and wider exposure to mountain bikers who may not be Evergreen members.

    This is the approach that the Cascade Bicycle Club takes:

    Cascade Free Daily Rides (Seattle, WA) - Meetup

    I notice that there is a Cascade Mountain Bike meetup with 200+ members:

    The Cascades Mountain Bikers Meetup Group (Seattle, WA) - Meetup

  27. #27
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    856

    Don't want to start some intrawebz drama, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenuous View Post
    There seem to be only a small handful of people who are considerate and post their rides, but many more who have their groups.

    I'm not looking to meet your wife and kids or anything ... which is why I'm not all like hey, you ... me facebook BFF's and crap. Just looking to mountain bike is all.
    Hmmm...how do I put this diplomatically? I'm also not a big fan of facebook faux-friendship; but you're not expressing yourself here in a way that's going to make a lot of folks want to ride with you.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Hmmm...how do I put this diplomatically? I'm also not a big fan of facebook faux-friendship; but you're not expressing yourself here in a way that's going to make a lot of folks want to ride with you.
    It's ok, you can say it was a snarky comment ... meant to be taken tongue in cheek.

    My point still stands that when someone new to the area wants to meet people and ride ... and most of the people are getting together via Facebook or some other medium, which is a more intimate medium than the EMBA calendar ... how are people supposed to branch out or network with other riders?

  29. #29
    Justin Vander Pol
    Reputation: juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,595
    It's true that it's harder to meet people in Seattle than other parts of the country or world. Go to NYC sometime and be amazed by how easy it is to talk to someone in a bar. My theory is that we're a region of engineers and our gene pool (ASD) is geared more towards figuring things out than engaging with strangers. Things like the ride calendar are good at breaking this down.

    That said, trail builders are about the friendliest group of people on the planet - maybe it's just because everyone is stoked that you're there helping with what they're passionate about. I do most of my organized events via Evergreen trail work because I truly love building trail. Maybe it's the engineer in me Always a good vibe and friendly people.

  30. #30
    Squeaky Wheel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,286
    ^^ I agree, but will point out that even a lot of trailwork events (HLC for example) don't get posted to the calendar. I think momentum is part of the reason...people are used to using something like facebook to organize events so that's what they use.

    Plus (and back to my point about using meetup), the calendar can be a pain for posting photos, directions, etc. if you are not HTML savvy. And the "email participants" functionality is not exactly reliable for communications.

  31. #31
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenuous View Post
    It's ok, you can say it was a snarky comment ... meant to be taken tongue in cheek.
    I got you...and my apologies. My post was a little harsh. I know it's frustrating being a transplant trying to find a ride group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenuous View Post
    My point still stands that when someone new to the area wants to meet people and ride ... and most of the people are getting together via Facebook or some other medium, which is a more intimate medium than the EMBA calendar ... how are people supposed to branch out or network with other riders?
    I'm also a non-native and it wasn't real easy finding group rides in the pre-FB era, either. I did some EMBA (BBTC back then) rides; but also used guidebooks (note: follow Zilly's directions backwards for a better time) and word-of-mouth to find trails. Eventually, I began spending more of my time at spots that match the kind of riding I like to do. The crew I ride with now are peeps I met on the trail, not the interwebz. They're dudes who rode the same kind of stuff I liked to ride, and who I talked to on the trail or in the lot or at the bar.

    So my advice would be, do some EMBA group rides, of course; but find the trails you like and stop to chat with other riders out there. Ask for the local beta and share a beer if you've got one.

    Oh yeah...and if you see a bunch of dudes throwing dirt, get off your bike and offer to help. You are always welcome in my crew if you've got a McCloed in your hands.

  32. #32
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    ^^ I agree, but will point out that even a lot of trailwork events (HLC for example) don't get posted to the calendar. I think momentum is part of the reason...people are used to using something like facebook to organize events so that's what they use.
    Point taken...but to be fair, the vast, vast majority of HLC "trailwork events" weren't-exactly-maybe-possibly-ummm...legal-ish until recently.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682
    That's funny. Is it only because EBx is up north now?

    I think Skooks actually hit on my current thoughts. It's hard to balance "expectations" from both the ride leader and the rider and it used to just be about hooking up for a ride and was much more casual. Now, there are more "restrictions" or, even expectations than before. And, I really think more and more just want to get straight to the goods and not explore a little which is what I like about mountain biking. My better half know full well that any 2 hour ride may end up being a 5 hour one....

    Now, it seems like time is perceived to be in much shorter supply and just getting to the goods and then leaving to go do something else is the norm. Folks used to hang out after rides or go get food and now everyone just disperses and goes back to their life.

    I was the Rides Coordinator for years and had to beg or bribe people to lead. The calendar helped but it's back to the same old. Now, years later, I'd rather just do impromptu rides when I can via e-mail or FB but I'll still post some events and rides occasionally. Knowing full well that I may get some fun folks or some a-howl who just doesn't get it. But, I'm already good with writing off that afternoon or day if that happens. Just don't think many out there these days want to bother though.

    Plus, everyone's at Duthie anyways....

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Agate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    My better half know full well that any 2 hour ride may end up being a 5 hour one....
    So does mine, if I go on a ride with you.









    Mainly because there's 2 hours of riding and 3 hours of talking...



    But seriously, sometimes there's rides where I wouldn't want to risk having someone show up and not be prepared for it, and that's when I think email and FB are a good idea. If you're just going to tool around at Tokul or PVCA, why not put it on the calendar?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    509
    Speaking of which...Evergreen MTB Calendar
    Riding Tokul this Sunday as a matter of fact and everyone's invited!

  36. #36
    I should be out riding
    Reputation: ACree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    Speaking of which...Evergreen MTB Calendar
    Riding Tokul this Sunday as a matter of fact and everyone's invited!
    Tempting, may be there if the weather isn't horrendous. I need to get out there some more to dollar cost average my pass down.

  37. #37
    Last word is all yours...
    Reputation: r1de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    Sure seems like the number of rides posted on the calendar has decreased the past few years. Any ideas why? Should Evergreen be doing more to encourage ride postings, and/or upgrading the calendar itself?
    You're right, it's way down. Upgrading the calendar is a reasonable proposal to consider. But in any case we'll still need more people to volunteer to post rides (I choose the word "post" over "lead" with intention).

    I've been an on-again/off-again ride leader for the last few seasons. I tend to drop off the bike radar a bit in the winter months for other pursuits, but during the prime riding season I like to post irregular, midweek rides at less common (for the calendar) locations. One idea I've been kicking around since fall is to start an "intro to BC" type series, to reach out to folks interested in leaving the city trails and bike parks for some more adventure-type rides. Borneo does a lot of these types of rides, too.
    --
    -bp

  38. #38
    Just roll it......
    Reputation: ebxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Is it only because EBx is up north now?
    Bob...I'm probably inclusive to a fault at times!

    My advice to new riders to our area.

    If you like to ride certain types of trail or area, then initially focus on folks that like to ride those same spots. That can be via a FB, Evergreen ride calendar, showing up for a trailday, etc. Back in the day, I went on a few BBTC rides. In fact, it was a BBQ guided ride along with a few others that showed me (and maybe JVP) Tokul way back in the day....so in many ways, you all have him to thank for the annual pass!

    A long time ago, I described the HLC as a bunch of beer-drinking trail builders with a mountain biking problem. We would regularly have new acquaintances join us for rides and some stuck (like GeePhroh, Largeextrasteeze Muttonchops, Kevmo) and some simply weren't into the gong show that often accompanies our rides. Those folks would be one and done! Prior to moving to the 'ham, our crew had a pretty informal ride schedule that usually entailed some building. As a result, folks that sought us out were welcome to join anytime, but those efforts couldn't really be promoted beyond the crew.

    When I moved north, I was (am) riding and building very different types of trails every week - from pure xc stuff on Blanchard, Chuckanut and Galby to tech-gnar at the NF and elsewhere. I just like the various aspects to our sport and, as a result, I tend to ride with guys/gals who might shuttle one day, go on a 4 hour xc ride or race a Klunker bike down a fireroad the next....

    A buddy often uses a saying that I like: Get in where you fit in.

    EB

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: portnoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    272

    And the beer drinking...

    ...has risen to epic proportions in terms of quality and variety (and $$). Seriously, it's like a beer tasting at a bottle shop after every ride. Last Thursday by the end of the night we'd had, among other beers, three different Cascades. Three! That's just ridiculous.

    If we ever see you riding down here again you're going to have to step it up on the beer tip.

    I hope you and your gals are well (is Baby X shredding yet?). Our daughter moved out in October-- yes, she's that old. It turns out Empty Nest Syndrome lasts only 24 hours if it's a teenage female that leaves the nest. When she came back for Thanksgiving she took it personally that we had bought a 50" plasma, and also that she didn't' have a curfew-- it's almost like not giving her one meant we didn't love her. Here's an equation even Stephen Hawking couldn't solve-- the teenage girl.

    M-


    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Bob...I'm probably inclusive to a fault at times!

    My advice to new riders to our area.

    If you like to ride certain types of trail or area, then initially focus on folks that like to ride those same spots. That can be via a FB, Evergreen ride calendar, showing up for a trailday, etc. Back in the day, I went on a few BBTC rides. In fact, it was a BBQ guided ride along with a few others that showed me (and maybe JVP) Tokul way back in the day....so in many ways, you all have him to thank for the annual pass!

    A long time ago, I described the HLC as a bunch of beer-drinking trail builders with a mountain biking problem. We would regularly have new acquaintances join us for rides and some stuck (like GeePhroh, Largeextrasteeze Muttonchops, Kevmo) and some simply weren't into the gong show that often accompanies our rides. Those folks would be one and done! Prior to moving to the 'ham, our crew had a pretty informal ride schedule that usually entailed some building. As a result, folks that sought us out were welcome to join anytime, but those efforts couldn't really be promoted beyond the crew.

    When I moved north, I was (am) riding and building very different types of trails every week - from pure xc stuff on Blanchard, Chuckanut and Galby to tech-gnar at the NF and elsewhere. I just like the various aspects to our sport and, as a result, I tend to ride with guys/gals who might shuttle one day, go on a 4 hour xc ride or race a Klunker bike down a fireroad the next....

    A buddy often uses a saying that I like: Get in where you fit in.

    EB
    I'll be along... eventually.

  40. #40
    Group Hug Participant
    Reputation: <sL4yEr>RuLz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,112
    You sir, sound like someone I'd like to ride with. But I need to know your neck depth first.


    Quote Originally Posted by msylvan View Post
    ...has risen to epic proportions in terms of quality and variety (and $$). Seriously, it's like a beer tasting at a bottle shop after every ride. Last Thursday by the end of the night we'd had, among other beers, three different Cascades. Three! That's just ridiculous.

    M-
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    239
    There are so many answers to why things have dropped off... long-time ride leaders no longer posting, no one taking their place (and with few role models around, not many new ones will step up. vicious circle.), younger riders seemingly more interested in freeridey trails, impact of Facebook, maybe even the fact that the guide books are getting dated... it all adds up.

    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    All day epics (perhaps redundant) are the best kind, and my favorite on the calendar.
    I think this is what has been missing the most. It's great to have weeknight rides, but everyone with minimal experience can go explore local trail systems where you can't get too lost. Doing backcountry rides is a whole different affair, much easier to commit to if you can join people who know what they're doing. I think having these is also key in showing people how cool mountain biking can be, and to grow the number of people committed to defending bike access to backcountry trails. (And I know you (ACree) and Bruiser understand this as well as anyone.)

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    365
    Hey Everyone,
    Thanks for keeping this thread alive with loads of thoughts and ideas. As I mentioned earlier, we have someone who has stepped up as Ride Leader Coordinator for this season who has loads of experience with a popular rides program in Colorado. Plus we'll do a couple of orientation meetings as when I've posted for ride leaders in the past, I had a lot of interest that came with a boatload of questions.

    We are planning to have at least one local ride and one backcountry ride each weekend, plus at least one evening ride. Then whatever else folks want to offer.

    Love the idea of creating an Evergreen meetup ala Cascade. Will do that for sure. And post more rides to FB too.

    Also, I am neck deep in getting a new Evergreen website developed. It has a much easier to use calendar posting interface (no html required!). So I expect no excuses on that front when I put the call for ride leaders again this year. :-)

    Thanks again for all the great thoughts. Clearly folks are still interested in the rides since this thread is still active.

    Y'all are awesome!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

  43. #43
    I got the velcros
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    252
    Interesting topic, and good that it's being addressed. I've wondered if EMBA is dying by death of disproportionate trailwork-to-rides. Seems that isn't the case afterall
    I went from riding on 15-20 group rides a year (all seasons) to.....last year ZERO. Also noticed regular ride leaders have completely vanished off the calendar.
    Is everyone pissed off and hermitic? Is it all about the cliques these days?
    Is it ****ing facebook?

    I posted a couple rides, not a single bite, so in a way I discounted the calendar.


    Never got on the facebook bandwagon, and I assume that's where the action is, so that's my fault I suppose.

    I hope that a revitalization of EMBAs calendar brings it back to where it used to be 3,4,5 years ago when even in mid-December it was a matter of "****, which one should i do?"

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,951
    Staying away from FB is OK. They make money off your info so I can understand, I don't like using it either. Hope the new calendar works out.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenStacy View Post
    Also, I am neck deep in getting a new Evergreen website developed. It has a much easier to use calendar posting interface (no html required!). So I expect no excuses on that front when I put the call for ride leaders again this year. :-)
    I don't know if it has anything to do with calendar posting interface, but it may make sense to provide an easier visual clue for people to distinguish different types of events on the calendar. Green heading for work parties, blue headings for classes, orange headings for rides, for example. Like Mtec said, the calendar at times had so many bootcamp classes and work parties that few rides that were there seemed to get buried and people stopped looking for them (I know I did).

    For me, posting rides comes down to personal time commitment. When taking noobs out deeper into real mountains, I do feel obligated to provide enough information about the ride up front so that they know what they are getting into, but that takes a fair amount of research and preparations. I just didn't have the energy or time to keep on doing it throughout the season. Maybe I'll get into the mood for it again this summer...

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,682

    No bites?

    Yeah, that's a fairly common comment. A new to here rider posted some Galby rides last year and only his wife signed up but he still did them. No takers for Galby on a weekend? Wha? I say just like I did when JRA started doing the Thrillas and no one showed up, "Just keep doing them and do ride reports of how awesome it was and how everyone missed out." Eventually people will come around.
    Seems people,are way more timid about sticking themselves out there nowadays than even a decade ago. Both on the ride leader and rider perspective.

    Time seems to be more of a premium which I think is BS. Mountain biking isn't about getting your 40 minutes of cardio in. More and more ask about "the goods". Just show me the goods, I don't want to waste my time searching for it.

    I think that's one reason why people stick with places like Duthie for so long. Because it's reliable and safe. Talked to two guys there while building one day who are local and ride it 3-4 times a week but have never bothered to venture over the street to try Grand Ridge.
    Yes, I have several descriptives for them....

    Stick your neck out. Post a ride for someplace you have never ridden before and share the discovery.

    I have probably more posted rides over the years than any other member and I'll continue to do more but will be way down because I feel I've paid my dues and don't feel like I have to fill the calendar anymore because others won't step up. And, I know several other "regulars" are feeling the same way. We're burnt out and have our own lives too.

    Sadly, I will have to concur that it does change the perception of the "Club to Alliance" in the area. For better or worse. Most new riders or riders I meet usually think of EMBA as an advocacy or trail building entity now and the social side is just not as apparent. No Christmas party? Whaaaa... Winter stoke party just isn't the same.

    Hope the new sucker, er, Ride Coordinator, knows what they are up for. In the mean time, contact Stacy or others and post something. For the fun of it.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    128
    Trail work is a good way to meet people to ride with. I might say better than riding. You have time to talk, shows commitment, generally is more social. The calendar group rides I have done in the past have ended with people getting in their cars and going their separate ways.

  48. #48
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,286
    Quote Originally Posted by mtec View Post
    I've wondered if EMBA is dying by death of disproportionate trailwork-to-rides.
    I would like to see every single penny of my membership fees and donations go towards trail construction, maintenance, advocacy, and compensation for EMBA employees.

    I agree with Ortedd, trailwork & maintenance parties are the best way to meet riding buddies and find new places to ride. Trailwork is conducive to having a conversation and getting to know people. It's more of a "sharing" experience than a ride.

    I have a huge amount of trust and respect for everybody that does trailwork & maintenance, they are giving back and helping to create the riding scene I want to be part of. These are the people I want to ride with.

  49. #49
    JRA
    JRA is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    605
    It might be hard to believe but there are some who just want a bike club experience. Some sort of "nod" should be made in that direction if EMBA wants to "capture" a larger segment of the local mountain biking population. Not everyone wants to do trailwork nor should they have to.

    Ride Calendar should have had a WYSIWYG editor interface set up from the very beginning.

    I know I stopped being excited about leading rides when the whole "THOU SHALT" attitude started creeping into the Ride Leader language. Stories of ride attendees who seemed to expect every EMBA/BBTC ride to be led by a professional guide didn't help things any.

    I really miss the guidebook days. They've gone away but I still miss them. That has nothing to do w/ EMBA, just putting it out there. Too old I guess.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    204
    Yeah, two way street. I started posting a lot less rides when people stopped signing up for them. But then my rides are usually targeted at a fairly small demog too. This was mentioned previously and I think it has a big impact - who wants to nail themselves down to a ride time and be forced to disregard the weather, and hten have only two people sign up who both bail at the last minute ? Unless you are BBQ, it can be sketchy getting a decent quorum. Although I don't go on a lot of EMBA rides I follow the calendar out of general interest, and that's what I saw dragging down the calendar - when someone did post a ride, no one or very few signed up, and you would also see those same signups drop off randomly.

    As far as the interface - in the old days we had to find rides in the newsletter that someone had scheduled 2 months previous. Now that's commitment ! We had an answering machine on a "hotline" that someone int he club painstakingly updated every week where they would read off the list of scheduled rides, and if you wanted to go you had to actually call the ride leader and talk on the phone "live". You damn kids have it so easy these days ! OTOH we didn't have to suffer the mental anguish of being "unfriended" (whatever that means, but from the descriptions I've heard people give, its quite the emotional blow).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •