Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

Not many rides on the Evergreen calendar these days...

Sure seems like the number of rides posted on the calendar has decreased the past few years. Any ideas why? Should Evergreen be doing more to encourage ride postings, and/or upgrading the calendar itself?

I didn't do it
    I bet it's Facebook. I think it's just a little easier for some folks to just put out the call on social media and organize that way.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ACREE's just trying to stir the pot. He knows why...

Winter usually dies way back as it is anyways. But, there is no real formal "Ride Leader" program now to encourage this nor much of a connection IMHO between the wildly popular Boot Camps and what to do after that....

But, yeah, meetup groups, Facebook, etc are the death knell of the ride calendar. Why chance riding with people you don't know if you don't have to? Plus, all anyone wants to ride is Duthie and who needs a ride calendar posting for that?

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Not entirely true. I have opinions on why, whether the calendar is important, etc., and really am curious about others views on it. Stirring the pot is bonus. You shouldn't have to do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    ACREE's just trying to stir the pot. He knows why...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well the PMs calling me a pompous a$$, troll, etc are down as of late...

Yeah, I'm gonna have to stay out of this one and the hancock cost thread and just watch them develop. It's snow season now anyways.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to stay out of this one and the hancock cost thread and just watch them develop. It's snow season now anyways.
    I was going to ask how you were getting wifi reception from the Crystal parking lot...

mtbr member
    It definitely has slowed down. Mid summer our Wednesday night rides averaged 14 people. Since the rains returned we average 4.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I see a lot more "clique" rides like this going on through various FB posts nowadays. Not that there's anything wrong with them. It's seems to be more of a trend now. Or, at least more visible post (and often, during) ride via social media. I'd be interested in why Lynch doesn't just also put them on the calendar as well. (Though I think I already know the answer...)

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    No doubt Facebook has had an impact, but I think the trend has been heading this way for some time. IMO, rides on the calendar were valuable, and I used to go on lots, and lead some. And yes, I haven't done as much of either in recent years, part of the problem I'm sure. Anyway, just curious why others don't post rides or join rides as much as in the past.

mtbr member
    I see a lot more "clique" rides like this going on through various FB posts nowadays. Not that there's anything wrong with them. It's seems to be more of a trend now. Or, at least more visible post (and often, during) ride via social media. I'd be interested in why Lynch doesn't just also put them on the calendar as well. (Though I think I already know the answer...)
    During the summer we would almost have too many guys showing up, and thats without posting on Evergreen. The rides are usually on the Center Cycle facebook page though, so a ton of locals know about it. One night at Black Diamond we has 22 guys and broke into two groups, and we have had 18+ several times at Tapeworm.
    I have an email group that receives weekly emails about our wednesday/sunday rides and weekday trail work. If anyone is interested in getting on the list just PM me your email address! It is easier to send out a weekly email covering everything, vs posting multiple times on Evergreen.

mtbr member
    I just posted a ride last Tue and had 9 people show up, I'm doing my part.

Anyone can post, have at it. It is a slow time of year.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Well the PMs calling me a pompous a$$, troll, etc are down as of late...

I will have to work on fixing that.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I will be posting rides to the Evergreen calendar again when the dry side conditions are more reliable. I like meeting some new people and showing them our trails. I do tend to describe the rides as tougher than I think they are and have ended up with pretty good groups in the past.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    on the topic, what kind of rides do people want to see posted?
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

Last word is all yours...
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    I was going to ask how you were getting wifi reception from the Crystal parking lot...
    It doesn't reach far outside the Bullwheel. But it was working great in there today, between turns.
    --
    -bp

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Plenty of work parties posted and all help is appreciated.

(like this one: Evergreen MTB Calendar)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    OK, I'll bite ... I have noticed that the mountain bike groups are extremely cliquey after moving back here in May and participating in a few rides . I like the EMBA calendar to go on rides that I might not normally had the chance to do; mainly due to unfamiliarity with the area and trails. This summer was unfortunately hectic due to work and couldn't get out much... did you enjoy Glasgow as much as I Jimba?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey Everyone,
    Thrilled to see this timely thread. One of our newer members, Ryan Field, has graciously agreed to be our Volunteer Ride Leader coordinator this year. He moved here from Colorado over the summer, and was part of a very active rides program with his local org. He's got loads of great ideas.

So he's going to be working to ensure we have some regular, weekly rides both locally and ranging farther out. Plus rides for beginners and ladies regularly. And be our point person for ride leader questions.

We're also going to offer two ride leader training events in the spring and early summer where we'll invite interested people to come out and learn more about leading good rides, and get their questions answered. Hopefully this will help encourage more folks to lead rides and more riders to participate.

All that said, any thoughts y'all have on types of rides or locations, or how to improve this program, would be much appreciated. We're excited to fill the calendar with rides once again!

Thanks!!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I like meeting some new people and showing them our trails.
    And thank you for that (although we tend to end up riding your recommended trails more often without you than with you. Need to fix that. )

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenStacy View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    Thrilled to see this timely thread. One of our newer members, Ryan Field, has graciously agreed to be our Volunteer Ride Leader coordinator this year. He moved here from Colorado over the summer, and was part of a very active rides program with his local org. He's got loads of great ideas.
    That's cool.

With all due respect attending the last ride leaders forum, it didn't do much to motivate me, but actually scare me a bit. And by that i mean it really seemed to put a burden upon a ride leader where there were liabilities and expectations put upon a rider (through "designation").

Not to say that leading a group comes with zero responsibility. There certainly are important factors, and attributes that make up for a good ride leader. But i fear once you have put forward designations, and make for "official" ride leaders, it's going to really open up volunteers to higher expectations, many of them unnecessary.

i like the idea of knowledge being passed through standards. i like the idea of comprehensive ratings allowing both leaders and groups to best understand the type of ride. And with that the burden should fall to Evergreen staff on creating and updating clear and simple guidelines and standards that works.

Everybody would like a full calendar where folk can discover fun new trails, and meet/reacquaint/ride with more folk within our "shared" community, for that's what it's really all about.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'll get out and lead some rides next season. I would have this year if someone thought they needed my bike more then I did back in July. Anyone interested in some meandering all day adventure trail rides?
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member

Or it might be...

...that they've been riding together for 15 to 20 years, know each other very, very well, and have a specific vibe they are going for on any given ride.

It's easy to label a tight knit group who have been riding together that long as clicky, and obliquely criticize them in the process, when what you are really experiencing is simply how it feels for somebody new to ride with a group this established.

I've been riding with my guys since 1991. We have, literally, grown up together and have been riding the whole time we've done it. It actually isn't hard to enjoy a ride with the big group (over 20 guys), or the three or more smaller groups we've broken into by necessity (fewer than 10 guys). Even today on any give ride you'll get a combination of dudes that bring a different dynamic on any given day. What you do is show up and bring good beer, an open mind, a good sense of humor, be considerate, and don't fight the vibe. Guys who do this enjoy riding with the group. Guys who don't, don't. And that's not bad at all-- you need to find the people who are riding for the same reason you ride-- if they aren't those people you aren't going to feel like you fit in.

I wish you the best of luck finding your guys (or gals).

M-

Quote Originally Posted by Tenuous View Post
    OK, I'll bite ... I have noticed that the mountain bike groups are extremely cliquey after moving back here in May and participating in a few rides . I like the EMBA calendar to go on rides that I might not normally had the chance to do; mainly due to unfamiliarity with the area and trails. This summer was unfortunately hectic due to work and couldn't get out much... did you enjoy Glasgow as much as I Jimba?
    I'll be along... eventually.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    on the topic, what kind of rides do people want to see posted?
    Unicorn rides!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just meant it more from the perspective that some of us haven't had that oppertunity or are transplants trying to fit into a new group. There seem to be only a small handful of people who are considerate and post their rides, but many more who have their groups.

I'm not looking to meet your wife and kids or anything ... which is why I'm not all like hey, you ... me facebook BFF's and crap. Just looking to mountain bike is all.

EDIT: Too funny, and perfect timing. Seattle times article about the "Seattle Freeze" ... spent too much time lurking and not enough time posting to share the link.
    Last edited by Tenuous; 12-04-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Topical

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    I'll get out and lead some rides next season. I would have this year if someone thought they needed my bike more then I did back in July. Anyone interested in some meandering all day adventure trail rides?
    All day epics (perhaps redundant) are the best kind, and my favorite on the calendar. I've certainly seen places I wouldn't have thought to go due to rides being posted on the calendar, and gotten to know a lot of people and trails that I otherwise would have missed, or taken longer to find.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast