Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Yeah, two way street. I started posting a lot less rides when people stopped signing up for them. But then my rides are usually targeted at a fairly small demog too. This was mentioned previously and I think it has a big impact - who wants to nail themselves down to a ride time and be forced to disregard the weather, and hten have only two people sign up who both bail at the last minute ? Unless you are BBQ, it can be sketchy getting a decent quorum. Although I don't go on a lot of EMBA rides I follow the calendar out of general interest, and that's what I saw dragging down the calendar - when someone did post a ride, no one or very few signed up, and you would also see those same signups drop off randomly.

As far as the interface - in the old days we had to find rides in the newsletter that someone had scheduled 2 months previous. Now that's commitment ! We had an answering machine on a "hotline" that someone int he club painstakingly updated every week where they would read off the list of scheduled rides, and if you wanted to go you had to actually call the ride leader and talk on the phone "live". You damn kids have it so easy these days ! OTOH we didn't have to suffer the mental anguish of being "unfriended" (whatever that means, but from the descriptions I've heard people give, its quite the emotional blow).
    haha ridin memoirs from the stone age! i love it...
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

I5Troll

SLOTH night ride series

Are you:
    Slow, Lazy, Old, Tired or Healing?
    Hesitant to attend a group ride?
    Intimidated by riding at night?
    Worried about getting dropped by the group?
    Afraid you will hold everyone up because you're too slow or not used to riding at night?

Then join a SLOTH night ride or 2 this winter. 1st stop: Duthie on Fri night. Evergreen MTB Calendar. Then a few other easier local rides... Grand Ridge, Tokul E, St Eds. We'll see how it goes.

What's the point? We're going to try to pick up where BillM left off with the LOAF'er rides... trying to get some newer riders engaged. What's the worst that can happen? Nobody shows and it forces Julie and I to get out and ride.

I downloaded the Ride Leader Guidelines (Ride Leader Guidelines - Evergreen Trail Guide), but any pointers on leading beginners at night would be greatly appreciated. I've never really led an Evergreen ride. I took over for a sick EricA on a Kachess Ridge ride way back when, but I think that's been it.

Also, spread the word to anyone who has been hesitant to join a group ride.

JRA
    mtbr member
    Good on ya, Mike! I fit 4 of the 5 criteria, so maybe I'll be able to make a ride this dark season.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA View Post
    Good on ya, Mike! I fit 4 of the 5 criteria, so maybe I'll be able to make a ride this dark season.
    Substitute "lipid" for "lazy" and I fit all five!

I dunno about Friday, though, I have to swap out a dog.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I really think (fwiw) that the Evergreen site could benefit from a forum. For some inexplicable reason, it seems like that would increase my motivation to go on or even organize group rides.

Having said all of that, maybe I'll put together a single speed group ride...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Volunteer Ride Leader Training class May 30th at Duthie - You're Invited

Dredging up this older thread to let y'all know about one solution we've come up with for this "lack of rides on the Evergreen calendar" issue...

We're holding a Volunteer Ride Leader Training class on May 30th at Duthie, 6:30-8:30pm!

So put your money where your mouth is and come on out!!

We need folks to lead rides for all skill and fitness levels. Itís easy and fun. No commitment required. Ride Leaders can lead one ride or 10 - anywhere you like.

We'll answer all your ride leading questions at the training, then do some hands-on training on the trails to give you the tools you need to have a blast leading rides. Deets are here Evergreen MTB Calendar

Please RSVP too so we know how many to expect.

Remember, if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Hope to see you out there!

Stacy
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey! how come you can get away with saying that?

I've already done more than my part but I'm planning on showing up just to see what you have cooked up for this time around...

Unless it's raining and the ride is cancelled.

mtbr member
    Rain should never cancel a ride! High winds maybe, but not rain.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Hey! how come you can get away with saying that?

I've already done more than my part but I'm planning on showing up just to see what you have cooked up for this time around...

Unless it's raining and the ride is cancelled.
    You have done more than your part Borneo! Thanks for leading so many awesome rides and getting people out to new places. I'm ready to head back to the Teanaway already thanks to you.

It'd be great to have you at that meeting. If you make it, let's plan to chat for a few after as I'd love to know if there's anything we should add or change from your experienced ride leader perspective.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Rain should never cancel a ride! High winds maybe, but not rain.
    Clearly you subscribe to the "There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing" school of thought.

Personally, if it's raining hard, I switch sports and go boatin'.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3