mtbr member

No parking at Duthie?

I haven't been out in a few months, so apologies if this is old news, but I usually park on the backside along the rode and ride in through the service gate. Now there a tons of No Parking Anytime signs?? Saturday was awful weather so there was space in the lot but that will not last. Where is everyone supposed to park? That church?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    I haven't been out in a few months, so apologies if this is old news, but I usually park on the backside along the rode and ride in through the service gate. Now there a tons of No Parking Anytime signs?? Saturday was awful weather so there was space in the lot but that will not last. Where is everyone supposed to park? That church?
    DUTHIE PARKING

We continue to be blown away by the overwhelming popularity of Duthie. It's awesome, but we never expected it and it's creating a serious parking problem. It's creating a hazard on the roads and a real annoyance for the neighbors, so King County Parks is working hard to solve the problem. Stay tuned.

Please park at one of the following locations:

Duthie Hill Lodge lot on the north side of the park at 27101 SE Duthie Hill Rd, Issaquah, WA 98029
    Cascade Ridge Elementary School at 2020 Trossachs Blvd SE, Sammamish, WA 98075 (outside of school hours)

****Please do NOT park...

In the LDS Church lot or at Endeavor Elementary School
    In the clearing (unless you are working/volunteering and are specifically authorized to do so)
    Alongside Duthie Hill Rd or Issaquah-Fall City Rd -- both are now signed no parking as it obstructs visibility for the neighbors and is a hazard
    Alongside Trossachs Boulevard -- it obstructs the bike lane and imposes on the residents of the neighborhood
    On any side-streets in the surrounding neighborhoods (to maintain a good-neighbor relationship)
    In any private lot.
    Thanks very much for your cooperation and patience while we work on a long term parking solution.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    any update on the second parking lot?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm not really a Duthie/bike park kind of rider, but I do get there a couple times a year. I always park at Central Park in Issaquah and ride the Grand Ridge Trail, takes you right to Duthie.

Last word is all yours...
    As of January, KC was hoping for this June. Given how close that is now, I'm not sure that's still in the cards, but we'll see.
    --
    -bp

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The "no parking" signs out back made me a little grumpy. :-|

The school (Cascade Ridge) is not too far, it just means more time spent in close proximity to lots more two-ton death machines.

mtbr member
    Cascade Ridge is the best place to park. Lots of room to throw your gear on the ground, chat with a random stranger. I actually don't like parking at the main lot any more. Too many cars trying to run over children and people idling their cars for 20 minutes waiting for a spot to open up. Cascade Ridge is the best for sure.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

EMBA Member
    It is a 5 minute ride from Cascade Ridge to the clearing. Besides, my truck is dirty enough as it is. I don't need all that Duthie parking lot dust and dirt adding to the mess.

mtbr member
    my family has a house up in the highlands but I've never taken the Grand Ridge Trail. Cascade Ridge is a block up the street so that could work fine. Nothing worse than trying to pull out of the Duthie lot with basically two bling corners and caffeine-fueled soccer moms in Expeditions barreling down from either side.. I think this weekend I'll try the Grand Ridge trail from the Highlands.

mtbr member
    Grand Ridge is a good grind. Lots of elevation changes and it is about a 40 minute+ ride for most people to get to Duthie.

Last Sunday I got to Duthie at 7:30am and there were 3 cars in the lot. We left at 10:30 and there were 3 cars waiting for spots.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    No parking at Duthie?-image.jpgNo parking at Duthie?-image.jpgRode grand ridge to duchies and back yesterday. I started at the grand ridge drive crossing because our house is up in the neighborhood. It was a butt-kicker! Especially the way back, the climb after the boardwalk really killed me. Lots of fun though and plenty of riders and hikers sharing the trail.
    GO COUGS
    GO HAWKS

mtbr member

Re: No parking at Duthie?

Welcome to the pain and pleasure of grand ridge to Duthie and even more pain going back towards issaquah as a couple of the pitches are steep and you did a lap around Duthie so there went the going home reserves. This route is a 2250' total elevation workout and so beloved by trail types I can't find a house to buy in issaquah. In the meantime I continue to "park and ride" from sunset way or after dark I move towards the lights at outer edges of the market....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Here's a question. If we can park at Cascade, why can't we park at Endeavor? Endeavor to me is even easier than Cascade and gets rid of a lot of traffic in Trossachs. I can be on Bootcamp on a nice warm up descent in less than 5 minutes....um, if I ever parked there.

Coling, I cheat a lot and ride to Duthie from GR and then take the road back. Only have about a mile on a busy road from Klahanie to Black Nugget, then go up the back way from there. The hills back kill me on GR. I can ride much longer at Duthie and still make it back with enough energy if I take the road. Head out the back way of Duthie, cross the road to get on the bike path, take that to Klahanie, and then jump on the road shortly until you reach Black Nugget.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Endeavor has been asking not to park there since the park opened and cars started packing in there. Simple as that. They care and Cascade does not... (during off school hours and weekends...)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just thought it might be worth revisiting Endeavor in light of the problems in Trossachs and Issy Fall City Road. Would make sense and take a lot of pressure off of parking if there was a way to work it out.

mtbr member
    Where does black nugget hook up with the trail? That would be a nice shortcut. That first house on the left is where Griffey Jr lived while playing for the Me.
    GO COUGS
    GO HAWKS

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It doesn't. Well, it can if you go all the way down Old Black Nugget, but I wouldn't recommend that. Just saying, if you don't have enough energy for the climb back, once you get to BN road, just keep riding up the hill at the closed road instead of taking a left where Griffey's house was and that will take you right up to the Highlands without having to be on the main roads. Takes me about an hour to get back from Duthie on the trail and around 20 minutes if I go this road route with much less effort to get back to the Highlands

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo View Post
    Welcome to the pain and pleasure of grand ridge to Duthie and even more pain going back towards issaquah as a couple of the pitches are steep and you did a lap around Duthie so there went the going home reserves. This route is a 2250' total elevation workout and so beloved by trail types I can't find a house to buy in issaquah. In the meantime I continue to "park and ride" from sunset way or after dark I move towards the lights at outer edges of the market....
    So is 2250' total elevation for your entire ride through Duthie and all?

Does anyone know the total elevation from the boardwalk to crest Grand Ridge? I'm trying to help set up a ride with newer riders and just seeing if we need to have a couple shuttle vehicles ready near Duthie. We'll be starting from Central Park.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Shuttle is my favorite word. We often times will start at Central Park to ride to Duthie, and then spend a few hours at Duthie and end up shuttling back, or end up at Hop Jack's in Klahanie or something like that. If you look on Strava, you should be able to figure out the total elevation.

I will say if they are newer riders and aren't used to this grind, do the shuttle. It will be more enjoyable for them.

mtbr member
    There are a few topo maps on the trail that I read while huffing and puffing. A rough number I'd say is about 700 feet climbing, and including small descents in between that is about 3 miles. Does that sound right to anyone else?
    GO COUGS
    GO HAWKS

mtbr member
    I've ridden from Central Park to Duthie. Kicked around Duthie and thought about the climb back up and said forget it. Rode back to my house near Pine Lake Rd and got a ride from my wife to pick up my car.

Recently I rode from Duthie and up to GR. But had mechanical problems with my RD and then had to cut my climb short before I crested.

Me and another rider have differences of opinion on bringing a beginner group to do CP to Duthie and back. I don't want to hear a bunch of whining and then walking and taking 3hrs to do the ride. Rather just keep moving, have a fun challenge and then go have a beer afterwards...

The 700' sounds about right. I think IAB over at Tolt is just over 500', right? And it feels like a steeper climb.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Since it is an out and back, I'd suggest starting at Central Park and going a ways and seeing how the noobs are doing. A good turn around spot is the high point of the trail where the trail towards Mitchell Hill is...right before you start down towards the first bridge. Still feeling good than go to the first bridge...or save it for the next ride.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    A good turn around spot is the high point of the trail where the trail towards Mitchell Hill is...right before you start down towards the first bridge.
    I explored up this trail once. Seemed like there was opportunity for some nice riding once you get to the top of the hill. I continued out onto a road that turned out to be a private road with lots of large territorial dogs roaming around. Most of the way down the road, right where the road turns to public, is the connector trail that takes you to right below the lower part of the recent GR re-route. I ended up going all the way down to I90 and went west back to the start of the GR trail. Wouldn't recommend it, but hopefully some day there will be more trail up there to use. Is that a possibility? Also, the turn around spot mentioned is also a good turn around if you start from the Duthie end and are just building endurance or don't have the time/desire to go further. That downhill is a lot of fun.