Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Night riding - Do you do it?

I'm just curious how many people around here night. With all the cheap knockoff lights out there you can get a TON of light for $50. There is almost no excuse not to try it! It is starting to get dark a lot earlier and soon it will be dark when most of us get home from work. Without night riding I'd get once a week tops.

last night we ride Tiger from 7:30pm-10pm and hit all the trails. The trails are perfect right now and it's nice to get out with some buddies for a midweek ride. Plus there is plenty of parking and no people around! I've been riding all the local trails since the late 90s so sometimes you get bored of the same old stuff. Night riding makes them feel like new trails! Even Duthie is a good time at night. Nothing like hitting jumplines with just a helmet and/or bar light!

The group I ride with has been night riding every Wednesday for nearly 3 years and we rarely if ever encounter other riders. It doesn't seem like many around here do it.

Do you night ride?
    2013 Stumpy Evo

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not any more. But, I get off of work early enough to get a ride in after work. Have lights and may pack one for "just in case", just don't do it anymore. Beside, the "off season" is too consumed with snow sports.
    Locally, I think the night ride excitement peaked about 2-3 years ago when the cheaper lights came out. Before that, I really think it was cost prohibitive for many.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    If you don't night ride, you don't ride much in the winter with it getting dark before 5:00 and all that. Personally, I love it! Keeps me sane here when it's dark and dreary.

I also love trail building in the winter... with lights.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    I too LOVE Trail building at night. I usually bring a lantern and a couple bike lights and if it's raining all the better!

I used to ski and snowboard 30-40 times a season all thru the 90s and early 2ks, but after 15 years of the same few resorts, and the insane costs I now bike year round. You can build a sweet bike for what I use to spend each season on lift tickets, and I get way more use out of the bike!
    2013 Stumpy Evo

mtbr member

Night riding - Do you do it?

I never ride in the dark and if there's riding to be done in the dark then the ole lady will ride as long as I'm the bike! Lol
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, I got lights last fall. Typically ride alone at St.Eds. Felt like I rode more in Oct/Nov in the dark than I did all last summer. My kids get put to bed at 7pm which means if I'm gonna ride it's bound to be dark. My first night ride was last week. Totally freak occurrence at StEds - ran into another guy pedalling a sxtrail with a night lite on. What are the chances of two riders at StEds both on sxtrails both riding at night? Not very good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just bought a light (Fenix BT20.) I haven't gotten a chance to use it on trails yet. I work at 5:30am, so when it's dark I'm normally in bed . I did use it on a greenway to try it out and I was a fan. I may get to use it in the am, or in a few months when it gets dark early. My schedule occasionally changes to nighttime, so I'm not letting the amount of light outside stop me! If I can just get the rain to cooperate...

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I used to ski and snowboard 30-40 times a season all thru the 90s and early 2ks, but after 15 years of the same few resorts, and the insane costs
    I hear you on that. I was addicted to snow before I was addicted to dirt. I still love the snow, but the crowds, the cost, and the driving have made pedaling more fun for me than sliding. Still, nothing beats a good pow day - as long as it's a weekday and not crowded.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Yes.

Riding season? Not familiar with that nomenclature.

mtbr member

RE: Night riding - Do you do it?

Yes. Love the different perspective it brings not to mention it adds two months to the riding season.
    Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

Just roll it......
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by mtec View Post
    Yes.

Riding season? Not familiar with that nomenclature.

mtbr member
    I like riding at night better... usually. Also, love the different perspective. I recommend having at least one light on the bars, and at least one on your helmet.

Edit: Is it okay to ride Paradise at night?
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    I've been a few times, and while it was fun it's not something I need to do often. I'm pretty lucky that I can shift my work schedule around if needed, so it's often easier for me to do that and get a ride in while its light than to hit the trails while its dark.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Last word is all yours...
    Yep, I ride at night, though a lot of places are technically closed at night. For winter: the cost of an AT or splitboard setup is favorably comparable to the cost of a bike and you don't have to deal with lift tickets or lines or open/close dates. However, just preferring to ride bikes over doing BC touring is a legit excuse for not doing BC touring.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    I love mtn biking more than any other sport, but I like the winter break some too. Gives the legs a chance to still be active but work different muscles, gives the ass a break from hours on the saddle every week too Plus it's kind of fun visiting the same mountains in different sports, weird seeing how different it is.

I still try and ride at least twice a week in the winter, but it's not the priority it is every other season. Plus it gets old washing and cleaning your bike after every single ride.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

EMBA Member
    I ride in the dark a lot. With my work schedule, if I didn't then I'd be limited to weekend rides only for much of the year. In the past, it's been mostly on Grand Ridge, but I'm looking forward to exploring nighttime tokul this coming winter now that I know my way around. Since I usually ride solo, I limit it to locations with reliable cell signal in case something bad happens. Usually, as was mentioned before, I don't see any other riders - even on a close in trail like Grand Ridge, so I'm a little more careful and my spouse is on notice where I am and when I expect to be home.

Evergreen Member
    Jun 2009
    October is bonus night ride month. Trails aren't sloppy yet but it gets dark early. Rode Grand Ridge every week last year.
    That being said, I take to the snow during the sloppy dirt months. I too have tired of the ski resorts with the crowds and cost, so I have turned to ski mountaineering. It's a whole lot like big mountain rides, with 4 hours or so of climbing and fun, fun, fun descents. The only issue with it is the weather dependency; as opposed to day-of-the-storm skiing required to get the pow at resorts, you have to wait a couple of days after the storm to let the avy settle down...

mtbr member
    This time of year in Yakima, night riding is generally the best time to be out. Start a bit before dusk at the tail end of the heat, finish the ride in a cool mid-60's night time temps. Daytime temps are consistently in the upper 80s mid 90s and it can be brutal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Lynch, I think you whacked your head not your pinky. Trail building in the dark in the rain? Come on now. LOL............

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squakmtn View Post
    October is bonus night ride month. Trails aren't sloppy yet but it gets dark early.
    +1 on this. Late summer and early fall night rides are the best!

mtbr member
    When you have two screaming kids and a wife at home, trail building in the dark in the rain becomes a VERY attractive option!

I totally agree October is a GREAT night ride month! It a good contrast to all the high elevation riding we do in September.
    2013 Stumpy Evo

JRA
    mtbr member
    I enjoy night riding. It was fun w/ just a little 5W Turbocat on the handlebars. It was fun w/ just a 20W JET on the helmet. It's fun w/ both a MS on the handlebars and the JET on the helmet.

Gave up skiing due to cost. Really though ... powder exists in places like Montana and Wyoming and Utah, not Sierra cement. :P

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm a skier (both resort and backcountry) so that cuts into my winter riding. But when the snow conditions go to c$%p my hubby and I bust out the lights for some night riding.

Been doing it for years. I like the video game feel created by the beam of light field of vision - those tree trunks seem to whip right by my face much closer than in the daylight.
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member

Re: Night riding - Do you do it?

Got a nice 13 miles of single track in last night plus 11 on the road. A bit warm but Much better than having the sun beating me into mummification. Love night riding even if I do fall down on sticker bushes periodically from underestimating speed and not unclipping in time.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Slothful dirt hippie
    I did a night ride out of the house a few weeks ago... can't remember the circumstances but as boostin said, it can get hot over here in the summer and riding around after dark was very pleasant by comparison. The animals around here are onto this temperature thing too, so you just never know what the heck you'll see out there. Mostly deer but occasionally something more exotic.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast