mtbr member
    Sep 2009

New to Washington. Where to ride this weekend?

I am new to Washington and have moved to Lake Stevens. I have been here two months and have ridden Japanese Gulch, Granite Ridge, Duthie Hill, Galbraith Mt.trails and Chuckunut trails.
    These have all been great trails but I am looking for something a little more epic this weekend and new. I'd like to get 5-6+ hours, some good climbing and of course single track.
    I've read Kachess Ridge is good but other than that can't find much more. It looks fine but not really long enough. I've heard an OAB on the trail is the way to go.
    I want to keep my drive under two hours each way if at all possible. I did Ape Canyon when I lived near Portland and it was fantastic but is now too far away.
    So come on all you hardcore epic XC riders, give it up and let me know where the long tough rides are that are open and free of snow. If anyone is up to it and wants to tag along let me know. I am an intermediate type rider who rides steady and doesn't mind trying to keep up with someone else and I am capable of 6 hour rides.
    Thanks for any help.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks a bunch. I have been on that website but did not connect to that page. Great info.

mtbr member
    The evergreen site also has a calendar that has a few rides posted on it. You should check out Tiger Mtn...we have a group ride tues nights. There are upcoming rides at Esmeralda, Osborne Mtn, North Mt St Helen's, and when I get back from Calif, I ride a different place every day during August and am always looking for company. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I might have to dive into that "someplace different every day in August" deal. Just 'cuz we can. Means I'd have to ride Tiger again though....

mtbr member
    May 2013

New to Washington. Where to ride this weekend?

If you have not ridin Tiger I would give that a try.

Take Nw timber from the main lot off of hwy 18 up to the fire road which goes to the summit (the long way). At the summit take the single track all the way down to preston. At the end of Preston take a right up the fire road for 1.25 miles. Go down fully rigid and left where it T's to silent swamp. silent Swamp drops you off back by the Preston exit. Then go back up the fire road to fully rigid and down to the T again, but this time take a right at the bottom and cross the bridge which turns into joy ride. Joy ride connects you back to NW timber, go right back to the lot (about 2 miles). Should get you over 3000 feet of climbing and miles in the low to mid 20s. Probably around 3-5 hours, little short of your epic ride, but a great one to try and worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Gets tough if you have to work, otherwise Mountain Bike August rocks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbike81 View Post
    If you have not ridin Tiger I would give that a try.

Take Nw timber from the main lot off of hwy 18 up to the fire road which goes to the summit (the long way). At the summit take the single track all the way down to preston. At the end of Preston take a right up the fire road for 1.25 miles. Go down fully rigid and left where it T's to silent swamp. silent Swamp drops you off back by the Preston exit. Then go back up the fire road to fully rigid and down to the T again, but this time take a right at the bottom and cross the bridge which turns into joy ride. Joy ride connects you back to NW timber, go right back to the lot (about 2 miles). Should get you over 3000 feet of climbing and miles in the low to mid 20s. Probably around 3-5 hours, little short of your epic ride, but a great one to try and worth the drive.
    Add Iverson in before this, and if you really want some more climbing/hours do Taylor first and/or add in all the service roads at Tiger. Lots of climbing and steeps to be had if you add that in. Easy to get 5+ hours