Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Tacoma area rider question.....

679 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  crtlnd 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to this place, I did my psudo intro on the sticky post.....

So, I just bought a bike that fit's me well, and I am interested in finding some easy places to try it out close to Tacoma. I thought about going down to the tide flats, but it seems like that would be a lot of pavement, RR tracks and traffic.
I really would like to find something like a logging road to get back into the swing of things, meaning I would like to ride for a bit without having to stop for trucks/light's, etc.
I wouldn't mind a short drive, but it would be nce to take my daughter too.

I don't know if riding places are secrets or not, I know places to shoot, fish, etc sure are.
I'm just new, trying to get back up to speed with biking again.

I am open and grateful for any comments anyone local has........

Thanks in Advance!

#2 ·
if you are really looking to ease back into biking w/ that tame of a plan, try Pt. Defiance Park. on saturday or sunday morning the 5 mile drive is a no cars deal. any other time , it's real easy to stay away from cars anyway, so it's real safe for your daughter. it's pavement, but it might work for ya.

#3 ·
Choices for off pavement riding around tacoma include Dash Point St Park (park up off of SW 326th Pl - next to small park), Sawyer Lake (Black Diamond Area), or Banner Forest (Kitsap Peninsula). Probably the best bet for all around is Banner. They have everything from a fire road, to easy single track, to more complex. Bit of a drive (around 40 minutes from Tacoma) but will worth it. This site might also help...

http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Brian

#4 ·
Steilacoom Park has plenty of beginner type riding, that is the Lakewood area. The powerlines off of 84th and Canyon is another area you can play in.
There are some areas in Pierce that are secret too.
Good luck and drop an email if you need anything.
Court

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.