mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New to Richland.

Hey, I'm new to Richland from San Diego. I did a search and found State Patrol Trails in Kennewick. Went there last weekend, but I couldn't really figure it out for myself. Anyone wanna show me around the area and go for a ride this weekend or after work one day? PM me. If all else fails, I saw a bike shop down the road from the trail. Scott's Cycles. Maybe they have a map. Cheers.

JRA
    mtbr member
    All trails eventually end up down in Zintel Canyon. I used to have an old hardcopy (which would be quite a few years old) and I'll scan it in if I manage to find it. Check in w/ Scotts Cycles and Markee's Cycles (on Clearwater Ave).

Off the top of my head there's 6 main trails that head down towards the canyon: Big Tire, Fred-n-Johns, Baja, Slalom, X-Cut, Slime. On the opposite side of the canyon is Moab which has a spur trail leading up to Inspiration Point. One time, I tried riding all the trails out there at one time (not including Moab) and doing as little repeats as possible ... I came up with about 20-25 miles of trails if I remember right.

Get in touch w/ Chinook Cycling Club and ask for Montana Mike ... he can help you find some locals to ride with. There's also several other areas around the Tri-Cities to ride besides State Patrol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks JRA. Appreciate it.

JRA
    mtbr member
    Oh .. and since you live in Richland, there's trails at the Chamna Natural Preserve. You can also ride up from there to Badger Mountain and ride some of the trails (not all are open to mountain bikes if I remember right but my info is out of date).

I'd offer to show you around myself but I live in the Seattle area now.

mtbr member
    welcome to the dry shitties!

ill be riding this week after work. usually around 5 or 530. This is a great place if you like jumps and/or xc. nothing really technical.

scotts cycles is a great shop.

Markee's is a waste of time. they dont know what they are doing, and the owner/operator jerry (a jerk who will tell you how awesome he was 20 years ago) will try to sell you everything that you dont need.

I dont know any of the guys in the chinook cycling club, they seem to be a bunch of roadies that ride 29ers in the summer time.

PM if you want to meet up and ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    went to scott's cycles on sunday. nice guys. they drew me a map. i'd love to ride this week. PM sent.

JRA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huytuan123 View Post
    went to scott's cycles on sunday. nice guys. they drew me a map.
    Speaking of maps ... I finally found my old one. If you'll PM me your email address, I'll send you a copy.

The assessment of Markee's seems kind of harsh but I haven't been in there in many years. Yes, the owner can be abrasive but back when I knew him, he wasn't all bad.

The Chinook do mostly road riding during the summer months but there are mountain bikers as well. They put on a series of fall mtb races that I found to be quite fun.

You'll want to get down to Echo, OR (about an hour south of the Dry Shitties) and ride the trails there before it gets too hot. The trails are built on property owned by the Sno Road Winery (excellent wine too). It's snake country so you might want to check in w/ the folks at Scott's before heading down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    are there other trails besides state patrol and chamina in the area to ride?

JRA
    mtbr member
    Badger Mountain (look up from Chamna), Olympia St (east of State Patrol ... but you might check w/ Scott's on intel for that location, haven't ridden there in a long long time), Finley Hills. There used to be a trail the people rode at Chandler Butte near Benton City. Very worthwhile but a little further south is Echo, OR.

I just wanna ride my bike
    It's worth a drive to Yakima to ride. Check with the Single Track Alliance of Yakima (STAY) on Facebook. Rockytop is a great new trail on Cowiche Mtn that STAY is continuing to maintain and expand; there are plenty of other trails in the area too. Ward or Boostin are local guys with lots of trail knowledge.