mtbr member
    May 2004

"New" out and back option ride?

Last night while pedaling back to the TH from T-East, Slop proposed something that will make a few of us go, "Wha....?" Park off 97 on the Iron Creek road. Ride up Iron Creek to the 4 way at the ridge top. Down Iron Bear and then drop off lunch and beers in the creek. Ride up/down Standup Creek back for lunch. Then back up Iron Bear for the swoopy fun descent that is Iron Creek. May just have to post this on the calendar. Looks like a nice alternative to Miller. 24 miles round trip?

mtbr member
    This will be an epic ride. Much better than the standard Miller route. Probably Stafford Cr over Standup. I think Graham will be out clearing Standup in the next few weeks though. I'll probably do an abbreviated "V" version before the end of June. Up and Down Stafford, refuel, up and down Iron Bear. Then do the whole thing after the 'Blues'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Standup is an underutilized trail I think because as a loop its only 3.5 hours. So sounds like a nice way to go. I've been wanting to do Stafford/Standup, but Iron Man keeps reminding me we did it several years ago in June and it was still snowed in, might have to wait for later in the season. Probably only if you do the ccw loop as much of it is in a shady bowl. If you just do out and back on Standup you are probably okay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So what wins? Oab Stafford? Oab Standup? Up Stafford Down Standup? Or Up Standup down Stafford? Parking at Iron creek and have never ridden to Miller Peak. Don't necessarily desire to either. Just want to ride down Iron Bear for sure. We've ridden Beverly up and over Iron which was pretty good with some hiking (rocky).

mtbr member
    I really like Stafford. All the way to the ridge. The way down is part rocky and part smooth. Then follow that with Bear Cr OAB.
    Standup - begins with boring doubletrack, then gets very overgrown. Graham and I gave up about 2/3 of the way up, so we missed the steep switchbacks.
    Was going to ride there Sunday until I realized I didn't want to be stuck in traffic heading home over Snoq pass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks slop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well d'uh, you don't go up Standup, you come down it. Beautiful red rock bowl back in there. Lots of pushing to get up to it though, probably best to just do OAB on Stafford unless you like that kind of thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Out and back from Iron creek th to navaho pass and back to car took us 9hrs 23mins. Including one flat repair. 24.1 miles. 5321' up and 5223' down. Stafford Creek trail up to Navaho Pass can seem very rocky and unrideable on the way up but is much easier on the descent. In fact there is a long stretch on the stafford creek descent that is very nice. The Iron creek descent ranks up there with any trail that I have ridden. Bear Creek descent seems too steep at first but eventually delivers well. The Stafford Creek road is closed indefinitely at the Stafford Creek crossing.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just too bad Iron Creek doesn't keep doing that for miles. Agree. It's super fun. But, even at what, 3.5 miles, over too fast....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Just too bad Iron Creek doesn't keep doing that for miles. Agree. It's super fun. But, even at what, 3.5 miles, over too fast....
    Iron Creek is only 1.8 miles, unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Agree about stafford. A little downward momentum makes the rocks easier than they appear on the way up. Bob, which day are we gonna do this ride?