mtbr member
    May 2004

New Fox polymer DU bushings?

Opinions? Work better than the old Steel/Aluminum ones or the roller bearing after markets? Know any LBS on the East side that carries them?

OG ones with the RP23 lasted nearly 2 years and the aftermarket roller bearing one lasted about 6 months.

Lots of nation wide opinions out there but our climate is a little different. Just another one of those things you replace very year?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hi,

I've been on VPP bikes for the last 5 years (Nomad, V10, TR, Bronson) and linkage design just eats shock bushings.

I get about 3 months from the old school DU/Alu shock hardware, about the same from the new fox polymer system, and 6 months from the needle bearings.

At $30+/- for the needle bearings vs $3+/- for the new fox polymer system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The Fox polymer one has lasted over a year for me on my Tallboy in Tokul mud...just my $.02.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickShepherd View Post
    At $30+/- for the needle bearings
    Worth it. Really, really impressed with my RWC needle bearing kit. Just installed a kit on the other bike.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    If your DU bushings get sloppy just put some JB Weld in there, it'll tighten things right up
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Mike, I'll EM you about where you got them, etc. They certainly are not 3 buck on eBay.
    The RWC rollers rusted very quickly and soon wore out the sleeve. Not going back. New polymer ones are easy to install and take out. Worth buying the equivalent of 10 sets worth in comparison. Juice, I did actually think about a little JB. Or, getting out the "automatic hole shrinker" (ball bearing) to swage the aluminum bushings for now. Design was poor with the threaded bolt chewing into the bushings. Need to get the right length shoulder bolt 65-70 to have shoulder on the bushing surface and not threads.
    Thanks everyone...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would say that if you are not going to maintain them as you need to do with the needle bearings from RWC that the new Fox polymer bushings are your next best bet. They cost about the same as the needle bearings from RWC, i.e. 25-30 bucks. I have both types and they both are effective on my bikes and have lasted far longer than the original bushings did.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by NickShepherd View Post
    Hi,

I've been on VPP bikes for the last 5 years (Nomad, V10, TR, Bronson) and linkage design just eats shock bushings.

I get about 3 months from the old school DU/Alu shock hardware, about the same from the new fox polymer system, and 6 months from the needle bearings.

At $30+/- for the needle bearings vs $3+/- for the new fox polymer system.
    What system do you prefer?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    What system do you prefer?
    Hi, I think purchased a Bushing Tool for you a while back, it's a quality piece of kit.

I prefer the fox polymer system. I purchased a load of the bushing and now change them every couple of months, as part of my maintenance routine. IMO the issue with the RWC needle bearings if any water gets in them, it's time for a new needle bearing.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for all the input. I stopped by the Redmond REI yesterday and they had no polymer bits but several of the other AL and steel parts and no AL bushings that were my size. Sooo... Either I call a bunch of shops and see if they carry my combo (22mm overall length) or just make a few clicks on the ol' computer. My bike gets wet, I wash my bike, I don't pressure wash it. But, water did get past the RWC seals and the roller bearings were shot in no time. Never again on that option.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    go back to a hardtail, less maintenance and it will help your skills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I love the polymer after blasting thru the metal ones like crazy. I had montlake put mine in, but they don't carry the polymer stuff. I called transition got the measurement and ordered from Jensen. Pretty easy. I couldn't find any local alternatives.
    J