Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I5Troll

Need support at public meeting in Woodinville tonight

I know it's last minute, but we need mt bikers' voices to be heard at a public meeting in Woodinville tonight. 7-9pm at the Brightwater Education Center. Info here:

Snohomish County : Parks by Feature : Wellington Hills Sports Park

Please show up if you can.

This is a great opportunity for new mt bike trails at Wellington Hills. Part in the woods, part on what used to be a golf course (perfect grades for flow lines and DJs) and... potential for an indoor space with jump lines, air bag, bike trampoline and more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The snohomish county post you linked included a link for a heraldnet article. In the heraldnet article it sure sounds like this land is slated for a slew of baseball or soccer fields. Sounds like an uphill battle to get land allocated for trails.

However, with a fledgling high school XC mtn biking program in the area and always a need for good XC running trails for racing purpose there could be some good points made in favor of said trails. It could be the regional host for big XC mtn bike and running meets (with close to ZERO! pavement).

I5Troll
    It's going to be a multi-sport facility. Definitely ball fields in the cleared areas, but there are wooded/hilly areas all around so definite potentially for trails... not just flow lines and skills park type stuff, but a longer perimeter XC trail. Also good potential for a cyclocross race course and as I mentioned an indoor jumps/skills area.

Just roll it......
    The plan for this park is solid. Folks in this area should really go to this meeting.

Justin Vander Pol
    I've personally spoken to the director of SnoCo parks, and he wants mtb trails if the community supports them. He was formerly a King Co parks manager who helped get Duthie off the ground.

Mike and I walked the park, the potential is real! Its close to Paradise Valley, and the one-two punch of these parks could make that area a real mtb hot spot!

I have to work tonight, so it would be really great if a few bikers could go to the meeting and support mtb trails.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Booo. I liked the ghetto golf course where you could tag cars as they drove through it... FORE!

J/K. Another park for bikes would be cool too. And, SnoCo is pretty bike friendly which is great. Trail names must have golf inspired themes....

EDIT: BTW: The UW also owns Lee Forest next to Cathcart Elementary (ample parking!) and a short ride from Maltby Pizza and the Maltby Cafe about 5 miles away from this place. They don't really want it and I bet they'd sell that for a good price too. Great old 2nd and 3rd growth in there and already about 5-6 miles of trail with some elevation change. Just sayin'....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    part on what used to be a golf course
    i have often thought that most any golf course could be perfect to build trails. Not only perfect grade, but the access to bring in logs/rocks/pavers etc. is easier.

As a community effort, you could get stuff done quicker.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    um, I should be getting off work at 7 and I pass right by Brightwater heading home. I might be a bit late, but will be stopping by. Glad I saw this thread. I live close to PV, and would love to have another place to ride so close by! What's this Lee Forest? I'm gonna have to check that out.
    Humans are unique in having the ability to learn from others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    i have often thought that most any golf course could be perfect to build trails. Not only perfect grade, but the access to bring in logs/rocks/pavers etc. is easier.

As a community effort, you could get stuff done quicker.
    The highest and best use of most any golf course is clearly as a natural terrain motocross track though. Mtn bike trails would be an acceptable alternative if mx was somehow not on the table.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Some perspective. This is a 100 acre parcel (Paradise is aboout 680 acres). The majority of this property of going to become english football and baseball fields. That won't leave much for trails. The indoor bike facility is a great concept, but your going to have a hard time getting it past the neighbors and there are real access issues - namely the road up from Costco - that are going to have to be dealt with.

Lord Hill is 1600 acres and has some great terrain and elevation. Personally, I think our organizational time is better spent lobbying Sno County to get started on the trail overlay plan at Lord Hill so that we can do some building up there. Not that I don't support Wellington Hills, but there are much tastier fish to fry in Snoomish County...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lord indeed does have amazing possibilities. And, views along with the river below and plenty of nice active beaver ponds. And, lots of Squamish style open bare rock to ride on. Always enjoyed riding and leading rides here.

Lee forest?

Lee Forest Got a trail map some where too...

Duane Emmons, the lead forester, is a good guy and even once asked me if we wanted to build a bunch of bike only trails in Pack Forest to the south. Couldn't drum up and interested south enders then though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Indoor jump lines? Too bad I just got this, could have stopped in on my home.

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Some perspective. This is a 100 acre parcel (Paradise is aboout 680 acres). The majority of this property of going to become english football and baseball fields. That won't leave much for trails. The indoor bike facility is a great concept, but your going to have a hard time getting it past the neighbors and there are real access issues - namely the road up from Costco - that are going to have to be dealt with.

Lord Hill is 1600 acres and has some great terrain and elevation. Personally, I think our organizational time is better spent lobbying Sno County to get started on the trail overlay plan at Lord Hill so that we can do some building up there. Not that I don't support Wellington Hills, but there are much tastier fish to fry in Snoomish County...
    I agree with a bunch of what you're saying, but the bigger picture of trail access and maintenance brings me to disagree strongly with your view of Wellington. For everyone's benefit, I'm going to launch into a little background on this project and Evergreen's goals to become an even stronger trail building and maintenance force.

First, the SnoCo situation. There's a dire lack of places to ride for people living in Snohomish Co. Right now, they've got Paradise, which rocks, Japanese Gulch (tenuous as it may be), and a quick drive to Saint Edward/Big Finn Hill if you live in the southern end. We NEED to fix this problem. Hwy 2 is a desert. Alpine Baldy might become a ride, but it's still short. Reiter is on the radar, if it can get funded, so that's good. We need everything, big mountain xc, DH, jump, flow, local, epic... we have a lack of everything if you look at it county wide.

Now Wellington Hills. It's small, over half of it isn't forested (golf course), but it's got good terrain and a convenient location. It'll probably mostly be flowy and jumpy stuff, hopefully with a fun xc loop around the perimeter. Paradise is really close, so it complements it well.

Wellington also has some potential funding from Brightwater mitigation money. Not sure how much yet, but it's a hopeful sign. This money won't be able to be used at other places like Lord Hill, which I agree, has massive potential!

So maybe you don't like jump/flow lines and DJs, it's not your cuppa. That's fine, but we still need those facilities for people who (like me) enjoy that kind of riding. Epic xc might be my first love, but I love it all. Except trials, I can't do that (but I still support it).

Now the bigger picture about Evergreen's projects, trail maintenance, and resources. Urban projects such as Duthie, Colonnade or Wellington Hills do not come at the expense of xc riding. Much the opposite! They allow us to get to a key point of economies of scale with our trail crew and trail programs. Guru's like Mike can be kept on staff full time, and we can hire trail crew leaders.

Without these capital projects, it would be damn hard to have the capacity to do trail maintenance in a meaningful way. We wouldn't have the in-house staff to chase after bigger xc projects like the new Tiger Trails, South Fork Snoqualmie, and hopefully some day when funding can be found, building out areas such as Lord Hill.

The more we do, the more we CAN do.

Brian, this isn't directed at you, but rather a chance for me to launch into this diatribe so the greater mountain bike community can see why potentially funded projects like this are so important to the battle to get more trails and maintain the stuff we have.

Justin
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Well said Justin. Don't take my words as lack of support for the project.

Justin Vander Pol
    Wow, you're a fast reader. My post was waaaaay too long.
    jvpRE.com

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    Wow, you're a fast reader. My post was waaaaay too long.
    in my line of work, you learn how

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    An indoor/outdoor mtb facility will be a HUGE asset to the entire Puget Sound. So excited to see this potentially happen. It's still early but please support this anyway you can.

Justin Vander Pol
    Just to clarify one point - the indoor facility would be a private venture within the park, and not affiliated with Evergreen. The outdoor stuff would be the free, public trails and jumps we're familiar with at other parks. Evergreen is hoping to propose some cool trails and then build them if the funding materializes.
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    I was able to attend the meeting although I could not stay until the very end. From what Parks Department said this new park will be primarily for sports fields but it also must be able to generate revenue. I think that is the key to the bike park, showing that there is enough demand for that. Of those at the meeting about 80% were from soccer groups, the rest local neighbors and just myself and one other were there for bikes. Most of the neighbors are really upset about all of this. Their quiet golf course that hardly anyone uses being replaced by huge lighted sports fields, indoor structures and thousands of people. I feel for them but it sure seems like it is going to happen and that there is a real chance for a bike park. Not sure about XC trails, but PV is really close and maybe could have some more trails put in it?
    Humans are unique in having the ability to learn from others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

mtbr member
    Oh forgot to mention, next meeting 05/29. Same place, Brightwater7-9pm.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the report Smiley.

I live near this park. Played golf there a bunch with my kids when they were growing up. It was a fun little hack track and I am sorry to see it go.

Personally, and this is just my own speculation as one who has lived in this nighborhood for a long time, I think that the sports fields will eventually go over with the local community, especially if the county fixes the road down to Costco. I think a few trails and jump lines will also go over fine (but this place will never be anything like Duthie). I think the county is in for a tough road with any kind of large indoor facility. The neighborhood group in the area is very well organized, and recently successfully shut down two developers who were looking for consolidate a bunch of parcels on the north boundry of the park and put in a high-density housing development.

With that said, Juice let me know if I can help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    The highest and best use of most any golf course is clearly as a natural terrain motocross track though. Mtn bike trails would be an acceptable alternative if mx was somehow not on the table.
    Or a cyclocross track.

Or perhaps a dual slalom track that is more standard and prototypical, and another option so a local race series can develop...

It's good to hear about another project.

i think with the right plan things will work out great. So many times the "pull" of what a project takes away, is supplemented quickly with the growth of our community, as well as the point Juice makes of compiling a healthy resume of projects.

Plus any new project that lasts over a year give something for Borneo to comment about, and we shouldn't deprive ourselves from his insight on these topics.

Finally the idea of a taking over a crappy 9 hole course like Tyee, across the street from South Seatac always just sounded like such a great window of opportunity. My experience is people enjoy a community effort that shows quick results, and for many logistical reasons, building on a golf course would allow for that.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    Or a cyclocross track.

Or perhaps a dual slalom track that is more standard and prototypical, and another option so a local race series can develop...

It's good to hear about another project.

i think with the right plan things will work out great. So many times the "pull" of what a project takes away, is supplemented quickly with the growth of our community, as well as the point Juice makes of compiling a healthy resume of projects.

Plus any new project that lasts over a year give something for Borneo to comment about, and we shouldn't deprive ourselves from his insight on these topics.

Finally the idea of a taking over a crappy 9 hole course like Tyee, across the street from South Seatac always just sounded like such a great window of opportunity. My experience is people enjoy a community effort that shows quick results, and for many logistical reasons, building on a golf course would allow for that.
    Dual slalom is O.K., but think of the possibilities of a proper 4X track with the terrain there. That would be really cool...

mtbr member
    Was there any mention of a wildlife crushing and/or elderly/toddler terrorizing trail that so many of us EXXXTREME! mountain bikers enjoy?
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    It's too far out for me to make meetings but keep me in mind when it comes time to plan out the DJ section. I'm all for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast