not your average bear
    May 2005

Need to know "new" Tokul stuff

I have been off the bike for about 20 months. Now that I'm riding again, I have a learning curve for added trails. What should I look for at east or west that I don't know about and will get me excited?
    --jeff

Jeff - 2003 Red LS

mtbr member
    Clearcut... and trees painted orange for future clearcut. On the other hand, the land managers are working with local trail groups and allowing trail building. Once riding season is over, and trail building season begins, I bet there will be a bunch of new trails. This is a win-win situation for a working forest. Clearcut sucks for 5 years or so, but all the baby trees are growing up strong, in a few years it will be glorious again.

For trail exploration, best to just get out there or join a group ride (Evergreen.org)
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

not your average bear
    May 2005

Wow, I was not prepared for the clear cut on what used to be pink ribbon. Rode to ridge bypass (signed pink ribbon bypass) and then back down. Then explored pink beaver (nice sign, hope it lasts). Ok, over to beaver pond. Definitely need to come back and clear some sight lines. Since it was getting dark I only stayed down low. I guess I'll find new stuff up top another day.

mtbr member
    Now I need to go back just to see the sign.

not your average bear
    May 2005

Found small fries at the top of the Ridge. I have always wanted a trail up there-looks like the old trail I helped start years ago, just done a lot better. I have never seen the return uphill from outback look so brushy. I guess there is a lot less traffic these days. Bon-Bon and moonraker (never knew that name) are all painted up like logging will happen, but marking the trail for the log crew. The jump line below pink ribbon is woefully overgrown-kind of a shame. Saw one other person riding. What is with the name "Pink Ribbon Bump"? Lots of new work on that trail, looking good.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Return uphill from outback? You mean the old road bed out to the clear cut? No one goes that way anymore since Middle and Poopy D got built. "Bump line" is a little less scary to the land owners than JUMP.....

not your average bear
    May 2005

Middle & diapers? Talk to me.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    "D" means "doubletrack" though diapers may be appropriate. First and second left after crossing the creek from Outback towards Full Bench...Goes across to between Bobsled and Beaver Pond.

mtbr member
    I think FTB is referring to the trail from outback to where you turn right to cross the creek on your way to Middle/PPD. Does get a bit overgrown.
    By the way, we will be doing some trail maintenance and hopefully building some new trails this fall/winter, with a few announced work parties.. Stay tuned...

not your average bear
    May 2005

Yes, Slop has it right. I will look for middle next time out. But that means I don't know how to include beaver pond in the loop.
    This winter I will be open to work parties, I'll keep my ears open.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
    Yes, Slop has it right. I will look for middle next time out. But that means I don't know how to include beaver pond in the loop.
    This winter I will be open to work parties, I'll keep my ears open.
    Bottom of middle, turn left, turn right and beaver pond should be right there I think, it's kinda on the opposite side of the pond where middle spits out. I usually just ride around there aimlessly staring at the sky till I find it but I think those are the right turns, it's pretty close by.

mtbr member
    Yes, left, uphill road for a short bit, right on road, right at the Y, into clear cut about 100 yards, look on right. You will cross 2 roads. If you continue past the 2nd you will soon hit the SVT. As we did last night, it's a great finish to an evening ride with the sun setting.

BTW, praise to those that added switchbacks up from SVT to Beaver Pond. That's been needed forever. Now I just need someone to show me how to hop up that big log at the bottom.

Also, other than Beaver, nothing but hero dirt out there. Tacky goodness.

mtbr member
    Thanks Navi, glad to see its being used . Plan on getting up there to finish it soon. The large log...pedal into it, lift the front wheel, pedal and throw your weight forward. Easy once you get it, but isn't everything.

EMBA Member
    For me clearing the log was a mind thing. Once I committed to making it, I was surprised how do-able it was. About 50 yards further up though, there is an uphill double root thing that is still defying my best efforts. I think I could go wide to the right and make it with a little bush whacking, but I still want to clear that whole first section without cheating before I resort to anything like that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    For me clearing the log was a mind thing. Once I committed to making it, I was surprised how do-able it was. About 50 yards further up though, there is an uphill double root thing that is still defying my best efforts. I think I could go wide to the right and make it with a little bush whacking, but I still want to clear that whole first section without cheating before I resort to anything like that.
    The key to the second step up near the stump is straight up the middle. Not enough momentum and traction to go around the right. Like Slop said for the lower. Get as much speed as you can, front wheel up on top and throw yourself up. Once the rear wheel is on top you'll stall out. Just keep cranking and you've got it.

It currently could you a raking and brushback leading up to it.
    Good luck!