Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need to escape smoke, where to ride on westside?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  scotteric 
#1 ·
I've had it with the smoke.
Packing the family up and headed somewhere else this weekend.
I *think* I can bring the bike and go for a couple of 2- 3 hour rides before spending the rest of the day with the family.
I have never ridden any of the trails on the westside.
I have looked at the Evergreen site, and see a few routes, but would appreciate some local input.

I know Tiger Mtn is out on Saturday.

What about Duthie/ Soaring Eagle one day, and Thrilla the other?

Anything better, or more fun?

Anyone riding that wouldn't mind me tagging along?

#2 ·
Funny, I was just wondering where I'd ride close to home since the eastside is smoked out.

Personally I'd opt for Grand Ridge to Duthie over Soaring Eagle. Hansen Ridge is an option, might be a bit smoky since it's further east. If you had more time, 410 would be good.

I enjoy the Thrilla, but wouldn't consider it a destination worthy ride.

#3 ·
Agreed on Thrilla. I use it when I want a road ride but don't want to deal with cars. It's a good compromise in that regard.

An OAB from either end of the Soaring Eagle-Duthie-Grand Ridge (I90) nets about 21 miles w/o doing any of trails in Duthie and only direct in Soaring Eagle. You can easily get it up to 30 miles w/o any trail repeats.

#4 ·
If you have not ridden the west side before, try to double your time allotment and hit something in the 410 area: Crystal is a short ride (relative to other options in the area), or you could pick off Suntop or Ranger or Palisades. Or stay low and get Skookum or White River. Something out there would be well worth it for a rare visit to the west!

Duthie is pretty rad and you have to see it if you're in the area, but if you've only got a couple days to ride out here, I wouldn't hit it twice. If you're limited to just a couple hours, Paradise Valley and Summit Ridge are other decent options for close-to-Seattle riding.

#5 ·
Thanks for the tips.

I am headed over today, and plan was to hit Kachess or Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie along the way.

Now that Blewitt is closed, and I have to go over Stevens, I will check out Paradise Valley instead.

Looking forward to getting out of the ashtray over here.

#6 ·
Kachess may be closed as well. There is or was a fire up in French Cabin Basin that the Kachess Ridge/Silver Creek trail (#1315) goes through. Check with the Forest Service and call the ranger station in Cle Elum first.

Cle Elum Ranger District
803 W. 2nd Street
Cle Elum, WA 98922
(509) 852-1100

Edit: Ok, just noticed that you are going over Hwy 2 instead. Paradise is open. :)

#9 ·
We're wrapping up a week at Orcas island. Got a couple days of nice riding, a day of kayaking, husby finally hooked 2 versions of "Moby" right off our campsite (all 6" of large mouth bass)... Not the vacation I wanted, but nice enough and my sinuses are happy for the first time in weeks.

#10 ·
Woodway- nice to meet you too. Thanks for all the directions. I think I hit all of the trails, but that place had me confused most of the time. I had lots of fun. Those trails are completely opposite from the trails I normally ride. Tight, twisty, and rooty. I will be back for sure.

#12 ·
I had a great time. Really good to get some fresh air, ride new trails, and meet new people. Saturday, I met ACree and he led me around Grand Ridge, Duthie, and Soaring Eagle. Good times. I skipped riding on Sunday and just spent time with the family. If the smoke doesn't go away, I may go back this weekend and hit other stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.