Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My boring, raw XC video

871 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Switchback XC 
#1 ·
Sunday's Ancient Lake ride.

#2 ·
Hey Shiggy!

Any additional information on this trail system? I think I'd like to head out there sometime within the next few weeks. I did a little research, but the wiki page for this trail on Evergreen is sub-par to say the least. Directions, maps, conditions, local tips or suggestions, etc...?

Thanks in advance!

Switch

#3 ·
Switchback XC said:
Hey Shiggy!

Any additional information on this trail system? I think I'd like to head out there sometime within the next few weeks. I did a little research, but the wiki page for this trail on Evergreen is sub-par to say the least. Directions, maps, conditions, local tips or suggestions, etc...?

Thanks in advance!

Switch
The wiki is sub-par as I have just started the entry. It was non-existent before. I doubt I will every do a turn by turn route for it.

My other Ancient Lake threads here have info and a map and the http://Wenatcheeoutdoors.com site has guides. My map has trails the other guides do not mention or describe well.

There are no trail signs and the actual trails may change, but it is a great place to explore and say "let's see where this goes!" I have seen and ridden new stuff every time I have been there.

#4 ·
Hm... let's see....

Directions: google map/mapquest 5000 Ancient Lake Rd NW Quincy, WA 98848.
Maps: see Shig's map. It's as good as anything, but you can just wander around out there without getting lost and have a great time.
Conditions: Central WA sagebrush country. Dry. If it's wet, it's a no-go, but that doesn't happen too often. Expect sand and random sharp rocks scattered around.
Local tips: Don't go sticking an appendage into a hole likely to contain a rattler. Take plenty of water, there won't be more out there. Waive and smile to others who are walking or riding horses.

I think that's it.

#5 ·
haha i love Switch's query coupled with his sig.

So all you folk know the geological history of those coulees? If not, back in the ice age enormous ice dams would build up in Montana creating a huge lake behind it. The friction from the massive lake would create weep holes which would compromise the integrity of the dam. The dam would catastrophically fail, and millions of tons of water would flood along the Columbia Basin. That's why you see the eroded cliffs, and that's why you see the enormous boulders littered about randomly. It is evidence of the massive destructive power of water whereas the Grand Canyon was created over thousand of years, this landscape which include my Reservation, along the higher coulees of Steamboat Rock, Dry Falls, and Sun Lakes, all the way to where Ancient Lakes is. This was all changed from the onslaught of individual flooding events.

Pretty cool huh?

#6 ·
Shiggy and Vers, thank you both for the info. I can't wait to get out there sometime soon!

And thank you Skook for the geo. history of the area. I enjoy riding in a location where the natural surroundings are as impressive, if not more so, than the trails themselves.

Now I just need this storm to move through a little quicker so I can make it over the pass and do some exploring.

Switch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.