Thread: Mt. Rainier RR

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010

Mt. Rainier RR

After working all weekend, I was good and ready to get outside yesterday. Needless to say the weather was about perfect for a gruelling ride up to Crystal Mountain blvd and back. Parked on FR73 at the base of Skookum, rode up through the Dalles CG, up the hwy to White River TH up to Corral Pass Rd. then up the back road to Crystal Mtn. blvd, down to Rocky Point TH, down through the blowdowns (this time w/o having to cut my way thru) then back to the top of White River Tr. existed off at Deep Creek Rd. then out to hwy, down to Buck Creek Rd. and down Skookum to my car. Although there was some drizzle it made the surface kind of tacky - pretty sweet, climbed most of the climbs today.....although some were pushes. I hadn't remembered that the section between Buck Creek and Corral Pass has some of these major pushes, best ridden the other direction. I found a disposable camera in my biking gear and took a bunch of pictures throughout the ride, even got a couple with me in them - self portraits and then ran into a rider on Skookum so an actual pic - I'll post a few when I get these. I only cramped on the last climb on Skookum - a better outcome from my previous ride. Yesterday - purchased a bunch of Hammer gels - variety of flavors, drank 70 oz. of water + 1 gatorade, so hydration was key. I really think these gels were the ticket/hydration were the ticket. Drank my post ride protein - so today I'm sore but not any worse for wear. Anyways great ride, can't wait to do it again, plus can't wait for the upper Crystal trails to open as well. Don't forget your bug juice - there out in force.
    JB

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great ride!
    I too am waiting for the upper trails at Crystal to clear out. It's a great ride. I talked to Guest services at Crystal and mountain bikes wont be allowed on the Gondola this year, but they are hoping to get the OK for next year.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Awesome trails over there. I've raced on them twice, and always promise myself a visit outside of racing. Maybe in the next month...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    Mr. Lynch - that's Crystal for ya - my guess is that they don't want a bunch of low landers up there this year w/ tons of snow and obscured trails. Maybe they also want to "improve" the trails before the general public is allowed to bring their bikes up the hill. Anyways I don't mind the climb up Northway - probably won't be totally snow free this year for a while, maybe not at all. I know many years the snow never melted out of Silver basin, could be that'll happen this year, down around the lakes - top of Forest Queen & over in the trees below Jim Town towards Chair 7 - Gold Hills. I talked with a BC ranger yesterday - who said it snowed at 7000 ft. last week, crazy.
    JB

mtbr member
    A friend of mine did the dinner thing at the summit house last week and said the snow was still really deep up top. We might only get a short window to ride up there this year.

The people at Crystal said they needed to get permits to allow bikes on the Gondola, but they did apply for them right away. I guess since the area borders Mt. Rainier national park they have a few more hoops to jump thru. I remember back in the 90s you could take your bike up the lift to the summit, but then there was an environmental study done and they stopped allowing bikes on the lift and closed off Kempers on the backside of Silver Queen.

That being said, I actually don't mind climbing up the trail. The view is worth it.

Last word is all yours...
    I agree. I think climbing it is part of the adventure, and makes the views/descent that much better. That's just me though.

My last time up there: Crystal Mountain RR
    --
    -bp

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    r1de - thanks for those pictures; that really is a bonus to the long uphill. When I lived up at Crystal circa 1982 - 1993 we took these rides for granted. I really didn't take pictures because it was in my backyard. Now I appreciate good pic's and the memories of those easier times. I remember that in those days there wasn't any suspension or if there was it wasn't really all that great. The original Rockshox were something that the ski-bum crowd couldn't afford - at least that was my excuse, but I learned how to ride a bike good w/o the "cush". Now I'm glad for my 5" of cush because my butt is much older. LOL thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's funny. My wife lived up there in the early '70s. Went to school with Andrea Scheiblinger of the Snorting Elk family. (SP?) High country stuff will be a real small window if at all this year.

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    Borneo - that's a bit before my time. Small world though - my wife worked for Moe at the Snorting Elk for alot of years - lead line cooking in the restaurant upstairs. That place is sononamous with apres ski parties and lots of good ole memories. I'm impressed I don't think I could've or would've attempted Andrea's last name....lol. I knew who they were, but only as the family that ran the place and only by what they wore in line waiting for the lift to open. That's the way it was for alot of people up there, I'm a telemarker - so they knew me because I stood out from the rest of 'em. Small world ....my wifes name is Jody - I don't know if your wife will know her or not, but she was a lifer at Crystal till I corrupted her with wedding bells and brought her to Sea town.