mtbr member

Mt Erie trail is open again

This is the trail in the ACFL that hugs the south side of the mountain. It's been closed for like 10 years and I was afraid it would never officially reopen.
    The trail is not on the official map but it basically goes along the bottom of the map connecting Trail 247 with road 22.

Just last year someone was piling branches to hide the trail entrance, but a month ago I noticed a bridge had been replaced and now there is a brand new trail sign along FR 22.

It's a very tough but also really cool trail with awesome views along the way. Starting from road 22 is probably easier but not by a lot. There is a nice rest stop with a bench half way looking over Campbell lake with an island in the middle:
    Mt Erie trail is open again-12b155342f2d6b5b9a517cc901a01beb.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013

Mt Erie trail is open again

Great photo, I've been to whistle lake and cranberry a few times. I really like riding there, do you have a gpx of that ride by any chance. I see trail 247 on the map, but not road 22. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Find the switchbacks on trail 258. I think the trail he's talking about bears east at the top of the switchbacks and follows along the private property lines until it meets up way over on the east (right) side of the map to rd 22. Make sense?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    That is a great trail!

Is it definitely open to bikes now? I thought it was a legit trail but hiker only.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Mt Erie trail is open again

Yes, I think you mean top of 248 switchback. Thanks for your help. Gonna have to give it a try when the weather gets better.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, 248!

@FM - good question. There are lots of climber trails all over the south side. If they aren't officially marked on the trail does that we wouldn't get in trouble riding them? Cuz I'd love to ride my DH down the sunshine slabs area! It'd be spicy carrying the bike down power line wall but worth it )

mtbr member
    Yes, the trail connects the top of 248 with road 22:
    Mt Erie trail is open again-screen-shot-2014-02-16-10.20.59-am.jpg
    The story I heard back in 2002 or so is that someone told the owner of the private property, an old lady, that if a biker got injured on the trail, she might be liable and she didn't like that.

mtbr member
    I'll have to check it out. I normaly ride from the mount erie paved road over to the 26 connector and back down the parking lot with a push up 300 and 302 on the way. Pretty flowy and fast that way.

mtbr member
    So is it open, or officially open?
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    the Mt Erie/Whistle Lake trails are legit. I like that it hasn't blown up. It's nice fresh single track that hasn't been widened by tons of use. I live in Bellingham, but work in Anacortes and ride those trails quite a bit. Still discovering rad trails there. I'm ticking off the trails one by one. I need a legit tour from a Fidalgo local one of these days.
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Jerry lives.

In our hearts, in our minds, and on our music players (preferably recorded in full .WAV or other lossless format).

mtbr member
    Here is the brand-new sign at the re-opened entrance.
    Mt Erie trail is open again-img_0105.jpg
    I doubt the trail will ever get a lot of use. It's just too hard for most people. I've ridden it a couple dozen times and only recently made it all the way without getting stuck on one of the steep pitches. I guess it's time to try riding it the other way

mtbr member
    Has any one ridden erie in the last 2 weeks. I went up there about 2 weeks ago and the place was a disaster from all the limbs and trees falling in the snow. Just wondering if its cleared up yet.

mtbr member
    Yes, it's pretty much all clear. I did encounter a couple bigger trees across the trail but I also ran into a bike crew with a saw cutting whatever was in the way (thanks, guys!).
    The mt Erie trail, in particular, is totally clear. Didn't take me very long - there wasn't anything major on the trail.

mtbr member
    good thanks for the heads up. I'm leaving washington soon i need to get a few more rides in up there and at duthie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Pinchflat and I will be hitting it on Saturday. Sign up on the BBTC website if interested. This will be a fast paced technical ride for experts.

mtbr member

Ranger confirmed open but private property owner next door is jumpy so yes ride it now and be aware and respectful of the neighbor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Weed smokin', beer drinking, litter droppin', rock music playing, mud flinging , off trail thrashing mountain bikers COMING THROUGH, HORSES AND HIKERS OUTTA MA WAY !!!

bro not pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Weed smokin', beer drinking, litter droppin', rock music playing, mud flinging , off trail thrashing mountain bikers COMING THROUGH, HORSES AND HIKERS OUTTA MA WAY !!!
    stay thirsty my friend
    G O N Z

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Gonz, thanks to you and Len, and everyone else, for helping ACFL to recover from all the damage.

mtbr member

Our effort was a humble day compared to the rangers and volunteers in this "we know this is special" community. Anacortes parks and volunteers have been working solid everyday for two plus long hard weeks. It wasn't glamorous. Mostly thickets of branches not even needing saw just untangling time consuming to make it the next 50 feet.
    Last edited by paleo; 03-16-2014 at 10:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Love that trail. It makes me bleed every time.
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

mtbr member
    Well, the honeymoon is over. The trail is now closed just past the bench at the view point. There is barbwire across the trail and an angry note from the land owner about being sued. I thought it was trail-related but not really:
    Evergreen Islands Appeals Mount Erie Clear-Cutting
    I am kind of torn here. It's a beautiful trail and it won't be the same when the trees are gone but at least we would be able to ride it again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Not surprised. Unfortunately many of the greens on Fidalgo Island have lost the support of much of the recreation community. People seem to forget that the primary purpose of the preservation of our forest and parks lands is for recreation. . Some here would like to lock down the forest for a few inbred deer to roam without interruption.

I support the protection of the ACFL but the community needs to accept that the best preservation argument is recreation.
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX