Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Okay, I'll dive in....

1. No Mountain biking mentioned.
    2. Boat camping...whaa?
    3. Would like to see actual numbers. I see plenty of adults playing soccer at the local field in Bellevue. And many of these folks are immigrant types whose numbers are increasing.

So, in a way I call bogus! OTOH, for adult middle class white folks, I'm guessing we are becoming more solo types and less team folks.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    ...1. No Mountain biking mentioned.
    2. Boat camping...whaa?
    3. Would like to see actual numbers. I see plenty of adults playing soccer at the local field in Bellevue. And many of these folks are immigrant types whose numbers are increasing.

So, in a way I call bogus! OTOH, for adult middle class white folks, I'm guessing we are becoming more solo types and less team folks.
    Right with ya on #1 & #2. I would add that it's strange to hear horseback riding being a growth direction... frankly I think they have the same primary issue as boats, they cost lotsa money and fewer people are going to be able to afford it as a pastime.

#3: I would agree there's a lot of latinos et al kicking a ball around down in Yakima on any given weekend. But I can't even imagine trying to schedule team sport practices and games around everyone's work and school schedules- and my daughter isn't even old enough to have her own team sport stuff going on yet.

Activities where you just grab some gear and go whether anyone else shows up or not is just waaaaaaay easier logistically.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

I5Troll
    The data seems questionable to me, too. So I checked some of the survey results...

I have WA SCORP survey data from 2002, 2006 & 2012. "Bicycle riding" has gone up each year: 21% to 30.9 to 36.9. So has "equestrian activities": 3% to 4.3 to 7.7. But on a national level, according to the Outdoor Industry Association, biking has been relatively flat vs equestrian activity has gone down. Team sports have gone down at the national level as well.

Here are some links to data:
    Recreation - Recreation Trends - Washington State Recreation and Conservation Office
    http://www.rco.wa.gov/documents/rec_...P_Oct_2002.pdf
    Research - Outdoor Participation - Outdoor Recreation Participation Report 2012 - Outdoor Industry Association

I have a 10 Jacobyte file with the 2012 WA SCORP results, but can't find it online.

I5Troll

Last chance to SCORP -- final survey questions just posted

WA MOutdoor Recreation Survey final questions just posted:

WA SCORP Town Hall.

Please take a minute or ten and fill out the survey. This is our last chance to be heard on this round.

a. What is it that you would most like to see happen with outdoor recreation in Washington in the future (i.e., what is the desired future condition you would like to see)?

b. What is it that you would not like to see happen with outdoor recreation in Washington’s future?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2