mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Moving to Wenatchee: Where to live?

So, you all helped me find a new home town, now I need help finding a home place.

We want to rent, then find a lot to build our "dream house, so we have been scouring the ads looking for house rentals, but pickings are slim, so our second choice is to buy a house, and carry two mortgages

My wife wants to live in the trees, so we 're looking at wooded areas up Mission Ridge, established neighborhoods in Wenatchee, and some wooded areas near Cashmere and Dryden.

We don't want to live in Leavenworth, it's not our thing. Cashmere is very cute, but the choices are few and the trees are pretty skimpy, so really it's looking like we are either up the hill toward Mission Ridge or in an older neighborhood.

What we want: 1/2 acre or more, single story, not a fixer upper, under 300k, the closer to town the better.

Questions:

At what "elevation" does the snow accumulation become significant enough that a FWD car would be impractical?
    Is driving from Leavenworth "better" than driving up and down Mission Ridge?
    Are there any locales adjacent to riding that would be "ideal" if we could find a house or land for sale?
    Anyone know a good realtor?

Moist and Delicious
    I'd go for this area, north of Leavenworth, if you can.... awesome and centralized.

http://goo.gl/maps/NQovt
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by nasai View Post
    I'd go for this area, north of Leavenworth, if you can.... awesome and centralized.
    Yeah, but 4wd required for that commute I'd guess.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, but 4wd required for that commute I'd guess.
    Yeah, and that would be North of Leavenworth, so even further away.

Okay, how about no further than fifteen miles from Wenatchee

I guess my biggest question is whether driving from the developments on Mission Ridge (Forest Ridge, etc...) are driveable with 2wd most of the Winter, i.e. what's the snow depth at ~3000-3500'.

Also, any rider/realtors on the forum? I met a rider on the trail who is a realtor, he was supposed to contact me, but he must not have had my email correct.

Any thoughts on house rentals? There are so few house rentals it makes me wonder whether I'm missing something. We looked on Craigs List, local paper, etc...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Moving to Wenatchee: Where to live?

When are you moving to town? I know a place that will be coming up for rent soon.

A lady at work lives in Forest Ridge, she drives a 2wd car with studs and doesn't seem to have a problem. One of the biggest complaints I hear about Forest Ridge is lack of sunshine. I don't think it sees any sun or at least very little during the winter. And if you like riding from home then every ride ends with a long climb.

My dream house here would be close to the river/ loop trail in E. Wenatchee.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wenatchee WA Real Estate Listings, Homes, Properties, and Lots

Scott is a ski buddy of mine. He should be able to answer any questions you have.

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Yeah, and that would be North of Leavenworth, so even further away.

Okay, how about no further than fifteen miles from Wenatchee

I guess my biggest question is whether driving from the developments on Mission Ridge (Forest Ridge, etc...) are driveable with 2wd most of the Winter, i.e. what's the snow depth at ~3000-3500'.

Also, any rider/realtors on the forum? I met a rider on the trail who is a realtor, he was supposed to contact me, but he must not have had my email correct.

Any thoughts on house rentals? There are so few house rentals it makes me wonder whether I'm missing something. We looked on Craigs List, local paper, etc...
    I PM'd you.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Moist and Delicious

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nasai View Post
    Your dog seems to have a death wish.

Moist and Delicious
    Not mine.... I don't ride that slow