mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Moving to Wenatchee: Where to live?

So, you all helped me find a new home town, now I need help finding a home place.

We want to rent, then find a lot to build our "dream house, so we have been scouring the ads looking for house rentals, but pickings are slim, so our second choice is to buy a house, and carry two mortgages

My wife wants to live in the trees, so we 're looking at wooded areas up Mission Ridge, established neighborhoods in Wenatchee, and some wooded areas near Cashmere and Dryden.

We don't want to live in Leavenworth, it's not our thing. Cashmere is very cute, but the choices are few and the trees are pretty skimpy, so really it's looking like we are either up the hill toward Mission Ridge or in an older neighborhood.

What we want: 1/2 acre or more, single story, not a fixer upper, under 300k, the closer to town the better.

Questions:

At what "elevation" does the snow accumulation become significant enough that a FWD car would be impractical?
    Is driving from Leavenworth "better" than driving up and down Mission Ridge?
    Are there any locales adjacent to riding that would be "ideal" if we could find a house or land for sale?
    Anyone know a good realtor?

Moist and Delicious
    I'd go for this area, north of Leavenworth, if you can.... awesome and centralized.

http://goo.gl/maps/NQovt
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by nasai View Post
    I'd go for this area, north of Leavenworth, if you can.... awesome and centralized.
    Yeah, but 4wd required for that commute I'd guess.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, but 4wd required for that commute I'd guess.
    Yeah, and that would be North of Leavenworth, so even further away.

Okay, how about no further than fifteen miles from Wenatchee

I guess my biggest question is whether driving from the developments on Mission Ridge (Forest Ridge, etc...) are driveable with 2wd most of the Winter, i.e. what's the snow depth at ~3000-3500'.

Also, any rider/realtors on the forum? I met a rider on the trail who is a realtor, he was supposed to contact me, but he must not have had my email correct.

Any thoughts on house rentals? There are so few house rentals it makes me wonder whether I'm missing something. We looked on Craigs List, local paper, etc...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

When are you moving to town? I know a place that will be coming up for rent soon.

A lady at work lives in Forest Ridge, she drives a 2wd car with studs and doesn't seem to have a problem. One of the biggest complaints I hear about Forest Ridge is lack of sunshine. I don't think it sees any sun or at least very little during the winter. And if you like riding from home then every ride ends with a long climb.

My dream house here would be close to the river/ loop trail in E. Wenatchee.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wenatchee WA Real Estate Listings, Homes, Properties, and Lots

Scott is a ski buddy of mine. He should be able to answer any questions you have.

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Yeah, and that would be North of Leavenworth, so even further away.

Okay, how about no further than fifteen miles from Wenatchee

I guess my biggest question is whether driving from the developments on Mission Ridge (Forest Ridge, etc...) are driveable with 2wd most of the Winter, i.e. what's the snow depth at ~3000-3500'.

Also, any rider/realtors on the forum? I met a rider on the trail who is a realtor, he was supposed to contact me, but he must not have had my email correct.

Any thoughts on house rentals? There are so few house rentals it makes me wonder whether I'm missing something. We looked on Craigs List, local paper, etc...
    I PM'd you.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Moist and Delicious

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nasai View Post
    Your dog seems to have a death wish.

Moist and Delicious
    Not mine.... I don't ride that slow

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    bump...

My wife are considering moving to Wenatchee from SLC by way of Philadelphia. She's in the final stages of interviewing with the hospital group in town. We like that Wenatchee is near the mountains, but not too wet, and should have decent skiing nearby.

Where's the best place to look for rentals? CL selection is very slim. (We have a dog.)

Also what area of town should we look in? Ideally somewhere with good bike-ability (road, mtn, commute into town) and convenient commute to the hospital for her.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The entire Wenatchee valley is short on rentals and even harder for people with dogs.
    I'll ask mom if she knows as she is a realtor. What is the rental price range for you?

If you find anything cheap in south Wenatchee avoid it. That area is still being cleaned up and not as safe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah, being a dog owner has it's ups and downs and finding rentals is one of the downs.

We're flexible on our range. We'd like to stay under $1000 in order to get to know the area and save up a down payment to buy a place after the first year. It's just the two of us, so we can live in small spaces 1-2 bedrooms would be ideal.

Can you outline where South Wenatchee starts/ends? Does it extend east of the river?

Thanks for the help. We're flying up tonight to meet with the hospital group. I'll have a rental car so I can wander around Thurs and Fri while my wife's in interviews.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    We live in Wenatchee and there are pretty good designated bike routes throughout town. See the map below.

http://goo.gl/2OsbYa

Can't help you with rentals but can help you get oriented as to what part of town to look in to get what you want. There are some nice neighborhoods on both sides of Western Ave. We live just east of Western and we're a five minute ride to the trails. If your wife will be working at the hospital then she could commute on the canal which basically runs parallel to Western and then ducks south and goes right next to the hospital. South Wenatchee is poorer and more run down so avoid areas but across the river on the east side is East Wenatchee, a separate town and county. I'm not as familiar with EW but know there are some nicer house the more north and east you get from the Grant Rd. strip. Head up Eastmont and the houses get better the further you drive, but then you're contending with (relative) bridge traffic every day to get to the hospital.

If I were in your position I would go up 5th St. above Western Ave and start hitting the side streets around there. Broadview is at the north end of town and very nice and a bit costlier as it's on the hill and has great views with big houses. Sunnyslope is the north part of town and you're more likely to get acreage out there and views and nice houses but expect to probably pay more than $300k.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM with questions.

Ray

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Oh what about those new apartments on river front. The paper said that they haven't all pre leased/sold.
    It will be tough to find that price. But yeah western Ave is a good spot. Or look at the end of Miller street.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Packing our bags to head out early tomorrow. Wenatchee was good to us. If the job offer comes through, we'll likely be here sometime in July.

The rental market sucks. I guess it's time to become a homeowner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

As a side note if you are in Wenatchee tomorrow. https://www.evergreenmtb.org/calenda...wenatchee-ride
    If you are interested in a realtor I can give you my moms contact. She has done this for over 20 years and knows a lot. Message me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk