mtbr member

Moving to Wenatchee....

Hey im moving to wenatchee in january to work at central washington hospital, and im coming from wisconsin, so if anyone has any advice or anything on good places to live, apartment complexes, or anything like that would be great. Also looking for people to ski/snowboard with and come spring do some riding!
    thanks guys
    scott

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You've hit the jackpot Scott. Lots of riding around there and lots of us to ride with. Come winter, a few of us are up at the pass and you can usually find me in Lot 3 at Alpental.
    Borrego Kid, Clutchman, etc are all locals though and can show you the goods. May be riding over at Roslyn next weekend if the weather holds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Heh

I grew up in that area and can say that Wenatchee is not too great a place to live. If you really want the jackpot, you will move 22 miles out of Wenatchee to Leavenworth. It's a small tourist town with a Bavarian theme that is remarkably beautiful and offers world class outdoor activities of every kind. It's like a different world really. Make your money in Wenatchee and spend the rest of the time in L-town. It's a paradise.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well, versus Wisconsin....

Mission is fun to ski/board and passes are dirt cheap comparatively speaking and there's Stevens and there is lots of biking within an hour.
    Leavenworth would be fun too but wouldn't the tourist trap thing get old?

squish is good
    Hey, theres something to be said for Bavarian Bike 'n Brews but Wenatchee ain't a bad town either. I would love to live on the doorstep of the Devils Gulch and Mission Ridge trailheds not even counting the skiing in the winter. Dude, you got it made, Wenatchee is a great base-camp for riding.

JRA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg07
    Hey im moving to wenatchee in january to work at central washington hospital, and im coming from wisconsin
    P-l-e-a-s-e, bring lots and LOTS of New Glarus beer over when you make the move.

Love the Belgium Red and can't get it over here on the Lost Coast.

Seriously, Wenatchee should make a good base. Good riding close by, skiing in the backyard, water sports and you'll be a lot closer to the good stuff in the Cascades than those of us who live under the grey duvet here in Seattle.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA
    P-l-e-a-s-e, bring lots and LOTS of New Glarus beer over when you make the move.
    yah im really gonna miss the fat squirrel and spotted cow! hadnt thought bout that yet... im getting pretty pumped to ride some real mountains- snowboarding is pretty weak in wisconsin but the mountainbiking scene is actually pretty decent around madison- but i dont have a whole lot to compare it to! anyone know how much a season pass at mission ridge is? im planning on being there almost every weekend, also any advice on places to live in wenatchee? ive been to leavenworth and it is beautiful but finding work there may pose a problem!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You can get your Mission Ridge info here. maybe 250 bucks?

www.missionridge.com

Check out the web cam, its already white up there! Mission is known for sunny days and killer spring skiing but when a good dump comes, follow Fat Happy's advice...

I for got about the water sports too. The river is huge for waterskiing and wakeboarding too.

If you have a set job in Wenatchee just soak it in. I believe the East side of the river can be cheaper but the neighborhoods there are wierd. Lots of lower income housing real close to more expensive "trendy" neighborhoods. Not sure how many local Wenatchee trollers there are here to help you with housing, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For apartment buildings, check out the Vradenburg (circa 1926) on Mission accross from City hall, nice old building and rent is cheap and the apartments are big. I lived in Wenatchee for 6 years and I can tell you it's a great place to live. It's good you have a job lined up, a good one can be hard to find.

There is so much riding and a ton of people to ride with trails everywhere. Many of the Doctors at the hospital are riders. Mission Ridge is great for snowboarding and has the highest base elevation in the State of Washington - 4500ft. and is only 15 minutes from town with bus service (used to be free, but not anymore). Lots of good Mexican food. Check out Taco Loco on Wenatchee Ave. The owner's brother has a resturant in Wisconson or Minnisota I think, good food.
    -Scott

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thread revival...

I swung an interview in Wenatchee, never been there, but I have ben in Ellensburg, Yakima, etc...

Can anyone compare Wentchee to Bend, ie temps, trail conditions "year round", etc...

I'm moving from the Southeast USA where I have lots of year round riding, so I hate to lose trail access in the Winter. Where do folks ride in the cold months?

In terms of living in Wenatchee, would you say it is "up and coming"? Is city planning progressive?

Would you consider Wenatchee a good choice if I found Bend to be overdeveloped and too " busy "?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    "Where do folks ride in the cold months?"

Here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving to Wenatchee....-wp_002271.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    See above for the riding or lack thereof during the winter months. Learn to ski or snowboard or buy a fat bike and ride in the snow... The local trail system is going gangbusters since 2007 though. "Bendish" in that you can ride Sage Hills right from town but way more blue collar than Bend which already is very service industry oriented. Both are probably about the same size in population but Wenatchee is much more agriculture oriented. Probably would pick Wenatchee over E-burg or Yakima though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bend population: 80,000
    Wenatchee population: 30,000 in the city, 75,000 in the whole valley
    In the winter there are some places to ride (Ancient Lakes in Quincy, forest service roads) but the Sage Hills trail system shuts down from Dec 1st to April 1st for mule deer habitat. But Mission Ridge is 20 minutes away and the skiing there is fantastic. Usually you can start to ride some of the "open" areas around town in February so you really only miss out on a few months of riding, which you would in Bend too.

Lots of trail development happening locally and if the projections are right (meaning some of the plans in the works come to fruition) then we will be more Bend-ish. The Twin Peaks area has a lot of development (about a trail a year) and Squilchuck Park is slated to be more Duthie-esque in the near future. I've been here 10 years and really have grown to love it. You can be on the trails on warm Saturday and not see another soul for hours. We're not Bend and definitely more blue collar but there are some great bike shops in town and a velo organization as well as fantastic climbing, mountaineering, boating, hiking, etc. Another great place to get info is

WenatcheeOutdoors Forum

or

http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    We live on the West side and have taken several vacations to Wenatchee in the past couple of years, it's gets pretty hot in the summer, my family likes it hot with a pool. We have been very surprised at how many good restaurants we have found in Wenatchee without trying very hard. The pizza at the public Market in downtown is awesome, I think it was the Blue Agave where we really like the Fajitas, -I ordered a Cadillac Marguerita for my wife, it was a fish tank! We also really liked the Wild Huckleberry for breakfast.