Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moving to Washington, but where?

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  OldHouseMan 
#1 ·
I'm moving to Washington this Summer but have not decided on where yet. I'm moving from Fort Collins, Colorado and looking to live somewhat close to downhill and freeride trails.

Any suggestions?

#4 ·
Where are you going to be working? Do you need to live near Seattle?

Regardless, in my completely biased opinion, anywhere along I-90 between Seattle and North Bend will get you pretty close to Colonadde, Duthie Hill, Tokul East, and the others. Other option is to head north to Bellingham or somewhere closer to Highway 2 and hope Stevens Pass gets the go-ahead to finally build the lift-served DH stuff.

#7 ·
I'm in agreement. Get to Bellevue or further East, or get north of Lynnwood up to Bellingham. Either way, you'll be very happy. Everything else, with a few exceptions, is within a 90 minute drive.

#11 ·
bikecruz, what I'd really do is dig a bit through the more prominent posters here, and PM them, asking to do a few rides when you get up this way. You certainly don't have to pick a final destination until after you've been here awhile. I certainly wouldn't move to a new area, and just plant myself without having been there to get a feel for it.

Good luck!

#12 ·
I rode Galbraith a few day ago. we parked at Whatcom falls park. from there we rode North to the Ridge trail (entrance to Galby) right at the entrance on the left is a brand new home. If i was you, I would put an offer on that house RIGHT NOW!

good luck. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Jimba said:
I rode Galbraith a few day ago. we parked at Whatcom falls park. from there we rode North to the Ridge trail (entrance to Galby) right at the entrance on the left is a brand new home. If i was you, I would put an offer on that house RIGHT NOW!

good luck. :thumbsup:
I agree with this recommendation. We really need a biker living in that house.

#14 ·
living

You do not want to live there, only joking! Bellingham is one sweet place to live and that particular development is hard to beat as far as access to Galby is concerned. It is called Hannah Creek; if you do a little research there should be a great deal of information. Good luck, smann

#16 ·
I personally wouldn't want to live in the Seattle metro area, it's just a little to big for my taste, but they definitely have some pretty good stuff to ride, and adding more to the inventory.

I'd suggest...

Bellingham - Good stuff in Galby and close to B.C.
Wenatchee - Not a lot of FR/DH but some very nice trails.
Spokane - Nice FR/DH trail system at Beacon Hill and close to Rossland BC, but the economy in Spokane itself is a little depressed.
Port Angeles - I really like the town and surrounding area, the riding at Dry Hill doesn't get much better than this, but Port Angeles is kinda isolated.
Olympia - Capitol Forest rocks, but not a really FR/DH area. I believe they are working on building new FR/DH trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.