Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    73

    Moving to Seattle soon for new job - some questions and a call for general advice!

    Hello all, I recently got a job offer up in the Seattle area and it looks like I'll be moving there within the month. I'm interested in getting information about mountain biking in the area as well as any general information or advice about living in the area and taking advantage of the outdoor opportunities.

    1. What are the best locations near the Seattle metro area? I've heard Duthie is pretty nice. I'll be working in Bothell so looking to be pretty close to that location, hopefully rideable distance.

    2. Anyone involved with the Evergreen Trail Alliance? I saw some info and it looks like a cool group and a good resource.

    3. What's a good bike shop? I saw Kirkland has a shop that's associated with Evergreen which would be kind of near my area. I'm probably going to be upgrading this year so I'd like to build a relationship with a good shop.

    4. Any general advice on riding and dealing with weather around the area?

    5. Any general Seattle advice?

    Thanks all, looking forward to the grey!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,217
    "Best" is up to what type of riding you are looking for. We have it all. Bothell is actually closer to Paradise Valley and St Eds.

    Lots of us are involved with Evergreen. Great group.
    Bike shops? Completely personal preference around here. Bother has it's own shop in Bothell Ski and Bike. Woodinville is close too.

    Get used to riding in the rain or when it's wet. If you are coming from the Phoenix area, you are screwed.

    Seattle rules.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    73
    Currently in northern CA so there's a bit of rain but weather is much sunnier in general. I don't think it'll be a big deal for me to adjust - I'd prefer a little cooler to super hot weather in general.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,217
    Depending on where on Nor Cal you may like the trails out on the peninsula like Dungeness River and Gold Creek as they have more of the rain forest vibe. Central WA is more like Tahoe with all the Ponderosa pines. West side is the wet side and maybe a little more organics than Nor Cal. Most backcountry riders follow the snow line to get the goods and escape the heat and (at times) dry trail conditions in late summer.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    105
    I work in Bothell and live in Kirkland right by St Edwards. St Eds is a great 1-2 ride but doesn't have to many features or technical stuff, but i hear more of that is hopefully coming. It drains pretty well but some mud is inevitable this time of year. I go to Duthie a couple times a month from Kirkland and traffic can be pretty bad depending on what time of day you go, but it isn't that long of a drive out there. If you are venturing further out on weekends you can go to Bellingham or some of the other stuff along I-90, tiger mountain etc. I prefer living closer to work for less of a commute and am willing to drive a little further for rides, but at least I have St Eds 5 minutes from my house.

    As far as shops I have had great luck with Kirkland bike shop. They are pretty geared toward mountain biking and most of the people working there are up to date on the latest stuff like 1x10 drivetrain conversions, new bike technology and stuff like that. They have a pretty good stock of stuff although it isn't cheap. Bothell Bike and Ski is very good too and the people are super cool.

    Lots of awesome stuff to ride within a 2 hour radius of Seattle. I moved here from Arizona and figured out that riding in less than ideal weather is just something that you do and learn to enjoy or you won't be riding a whole lot in the winter. I like it now and have learned a lot more about bike maintenance. Hope that helps!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
    I work in Bothell and live in Kirkland right by St Edwards. St Eds is a great 1-2 ride but doesn't have to many features or technical stuff, but i hear more of that is hopefully coming. It drains pretty well but some mud is inevitable this time of year. I go to Duthie a couple times a month from Kirkland and traffic can be pretty bad depending on what time of day you go, but it isn't that long of a drive out there. If you are venturing further out on weekends you can go to Bellingham or some of the other stuff along I-90, tiger mountain etc. I prefer living closer to work for less of a commute and am willing to drive a little further for rides, but at least I have St Eds 5 minutes from my house.

    As far as shops I have had great luck with Kirkland bike shop. They are pretty geared toward mountain biking and most of the people working there are up to date on the latest stuff like 1x10 drivetrain conversions, new bike technology and stuff like that. They have a pretty good stock of stuff although it isn't cheap. Bothell Bike and Ski is very good too and the people are super cool.

    Lots of awesome stuff to ride within a 2 hour radius of Seattle. I moved here from Arizona and figured out that riding in less than ideal weather is just something that you do and learn to enjoy or you won't be riding a whole lot in the winter. I like it now and have learned a lot more about bike maintenance. Hope that helps!
    Good to know, it's nice to have something nearby when I don't have time for a 2-3 hour ride. I definitely need to get geared up for the cold and mud including getting a rack on my car. Right now I just put it in the back with a sheet and the seats down, but that's not going to go well when the mud's packed on.

  7. #7
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Skedasticity View Post
    Right now I just put it in the back with a sheet and the seats down, but that's not going to go well when the mud's packed on.
    I can honestly say I don't know a single outdoorsy person here with a clean car.


    I chimed in on your other thread...you'll dig it here. We get rainy weeks in the summer and dry weeks in the winter. One thing I'm pretty sold on, you can mostly avoid the wet conditions if you keep your schedule flexible and watch the forecast (I use probcast.com ). You're getting here just in time for a full season, ride as much as you can before October cause 50% of the trails shut down Between then and ~April.

    Locations are going to come down to your riding style. Paradise Vally will be close to you, and it's a good weekday fix when it's dry- and its getting better.

    Take a browse through my photo link below

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I can honestly say I don't know a single outdoorsy person here with a clean car.


    I chimed in on your other thread...you'll dig it here. We get rainy weeks in the summer and dry weeks in the winter. One thing I'm pretty sold on, you can mostly avoid the wet conditions if you keep your schedule flexible and watch the forecast (I use probcast.com ). You're getting here just in time for a full season, ride as much as you can before October cause 50% of the trails shut down Between then and ~April.

    Locations are going to come down to your riding style. Paradise Vally will be close to you, and it's a good weekday fix when it's dry- and its getting better.

    Take a browse through my photo link below
    Haha, yes I realize I must accept a bit of dirt if I want to have a good time. I have a lease right now so I don't want to get it too grimy. I'll probably look to get something a little more outdoors oriented in about a year when the lease is up.

    Nice albums you got there... really looking forward to seeing it for myself!

Similar Threads

  1. Possibly moving to Seattle...questions.
    By pdelbusto in forum Washington
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM
  2. Moving to Seattle - Apt Suggestions?
    By mayonays in forum Washington
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM
  3. Moving to Seattle
    By Hardtails Are Better in forum Washington
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM
  4. Moving to Wichita from Seattle. Tell me theres good news. Please!
    By Clutchman83 in forum Great Plains - OK, KS, NE, SD, ND
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 12:17 AM
  5. Moving to Flagstaff from Seattle
    By libtec in forum Arizona
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •