endorphin addict
    Aug 2007

Moving to Olympia?

I think I've got a good shot at a job there in Olympia with the Olympic NF. Anyone on here living in Olympia and loving it? It looks like my office would be on the sw side and would hope to live near work. Hows the riding around there? Is there an active trail crew?

I'd be coming from norcal and enjoy all mountain / trail riding and some light freeride. Also just the outdoors in general. Seems like a progressive town, which suits me fine. I've read about the wet weather and gloomy skies, but these days I tend to enjoy winter weather, and also do some snowshoeing and snowboarding. Sounds like hitting the slopes at Crystal Mtn could be a good way to get some sunshine in now and then.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My brother lives there and we enjoy visiting every summer. It seem like a nice place as far as I can tell. There is some good riding in Capitol Forrest that I hit. The trails aren't too difficult but there are some long down hills with loads AF flowy fun. There is a new super d trail that was great as well. You can put together a great epic ride or just a quick rip. Mud can be quite sticky in places but there are ridable trails in the winter.

http://friendsofcapitolforest.org

Capitol Forest Washington Capital Forest Washington Mountain Biking Equestrian Horse Back Riding Trail Running ATV Motorcycle Department of Natural Resources
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I'm in Oregon, but I'd give just about anything to have something like Capitol Forest in my backyard. I usually make the trip up a couple times a year to ride CF.

And as far as Washington Ski areas go, it's tough to beat Crystal Mountain.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Olympia is a bit wet for me to lust over too much. Nonetheless compared to this mountain biking desert Oly looks pretty good.

mtbr member
    Wet doesn't describe it. Damp dark and cold. My sister has moss growing on her car. Today was a typical winter day. Rain so fine it is mist. All day. Gets in everything. And 38 degrees. Damp sucking the heat right out. It can be like this for months. I think the record is 90 continuous days of overcast

I'm visiting from Albuquerque where I live now but I grew up here. Don't think I could move back because of the weather.

That being said, it is a nice pleasant town with a couple good micro brews some decent food and an interesting culture. Outdoors is right there with plenty of places to MTB. My friends who live here hit capitol forest a few times a week year round. Plenty of other places reasonably close too. The Arid east side of the mountains is just an hour and a half away, so you can drive to sun.

Still, the winters would be tough if I ever moved back. Summers are absolutely incredible though ( in the years they have one)

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    "My sister has moss growing on her car." Haha that's a good one. Thanks for the replies. It could be a good opportunity for me, but maybe not a permanent move depending how I do with the moss. Looking forward to seeing some bald eagles and orcas and some of them endangered tree octopuses : )

mtbr member

Re: Moving to Olympia?

Hope you get that job at Olympic nf!

http://www.fs.usda.gov/olympic/

mtbr member
    It is actually true. There is moss on the white top of my FJ Cruiser. Moss grows on the concrete sidewalks, if there isn't enough traffic it will be a beautiful green carpet.

Re: Olympia it was just ok for MTB. I have found about 10x as much of the riding I want to do around Seattle in comparison to Olympia. At cap forrest I had to stop these guys with an AR-15 from shooting the "no shooting sign" since they were shooting right over the GL6 trail. That kinda stuff gets tiring.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

mtbr member
    It takes a little getting used to riding in the wet....all the time, but when it dries up it's like we have all new trails. The hole area up here is filled with great trails. You'll like it.
    2012 Trek Remedy 9.8...Yep, the one with the little wheels.

mtbr member
    As long as you take this motto to heart:

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing."

You'll be just fine up here. I'd pit Northwest singletrack against any state in the union. Plus, year-round riding *and* skiing (as long as you like volcanos). And Olympia, as opposed to Seattle, is a place were you can reach great trails with minimal time, effort, and traffic. Of course, unlike Seattle, it's a challenge to find a restaurant open past 10pm, and we have hipsters that can out-hipster Portlandia any day of the week (to wit: highest ratio of tattoo parlors per household than any community in Washington).

If you do wind up in Oly Town, be sure to look up Friends of Capitol Forest. Best of luck!

-Kelly

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    Awesome pics on that blog! Thanks

K3N
    Certified slacker
    I moved here (Olympia) from AZ in April, absolutly loved summer! Capitol forest is a huge place. I read it has approx 150 miles of trails, been there about every weeknd & not tired of it yet. If you move here, let me know & we will ride!
    My other bike is a bike