mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Moving to the Ferndale area

I read through most of the posts and looked at Evergreen's web page. It seems like a bulk of the XC trails are in the greater Seattle area. I am from SE PA and am used to rocks, roots and singletrack. I ride a SS 29er. Suggestions on areas and trails around Ferndale/Bellngham? I am assuming a FS geared bike is going to be needed.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    People ride everything everywhere around here, tho' different setups are optimal for different trails. Take a look at Anacortes Community Forest Lands. Not too many rocks, but plenty of roots. Come out and join us on Super Bowl Sunday!

Evergreen MTB Calendar

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Galbraith Mt, Blanchard Mt, Chuckanut Mt all in or near Bellingham, which is very close to Ferndale.

You will like it here. Lots of single speed 29ers around, lots of full suspension around as well, both 26ers and 29ers
    Last edited by bigE; 01-16-2012 at 06:58 PM.

mtbr member

i lived in seattle, live in b'ham for nine years...

...as a mountain-biker you are moving to the right place. The whole Bellingham/Ferndale area is awesome, and so close to Whistler I resent you already.

Lucky!
    I'll be along... eventually.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by msylvan View Post
    ...as a mountain-biker you are moving to the right place. The whole Bellingham/Ferndale area is awesome, and so close to Whistler I resent you already.

Lucky!
    LOL!

Yeah, you'll be fine with the 29'er setup as a SS. I wouldn't say our trails are ideal for singlespeeding, but I've done it on my 26'er for several years.

Depending on your fitness, you might need to change the gearing a bit. Maybe something like a 30 x 18 or 30 x 20. You'll be able to figure that out once you start riding our local trails.

If you like to live closer to where you recreate, then I'd probably live in B'ham. Nothing against Ferndale, but it's about 20 minutes from Galby, Chuckanut, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Living in Ferndale...i'm jealous. There is all sorts of riding within 20min...and you've got the NorthShore of Vancouver within an hour or two depending on traffic & the border...Whistler within 3-4. You my friend are going to want to have a whole stable of bikes to ride whats around you...sucks to be your wallet.... Great to be you :P

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    As a pa transplant myself (Bucks COunty and State College, PA) I can say first hand that the riding out here in Whatcom County is awesome. A 29" SS is perfect for Galby and running rigid works great if you're not too into the stunts. Buy trail maps or hook up with another rider and let them help you navigate the local trails. Some were meant for climbing, some for descending...having a mentor will save you tons of headaches.

Get in touch via email if you have questions

shuksancycles AT gmail dot com