Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mount Baker Hill Climb and Crystal Mountain Hill Climb

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  borregokid 
#1 ·
Next Saturday is the Washington State Hill Climb Championship out at Crystal Mountain. For a xc racer it would seem to be a reasonable ride. Its only 1500 feet of elevation gain over six miles. The registration unfortunately is closed. However two weeks later the locals up in Bellingham have the Mount Baker Hill Climb. That race is 24.5 miles and has a 4300 foot elevation gain. The perfect race for all you expert xc riders. Heres the link for the the Mount Baker Hill Climb.

http://meyermemorial.org

Is it just my imagination or are the folks up in Bham just a little ultra-sport crazy. They cant just run a cross country or 10k road race, it has to be something like the the Chuckanut 50k. The folks in Seattle have a nice little hill climb so someone in Bellingham cooks up a race three to four times as hard. And how about Sea to Ski, isnt everyone just about dead after doing that. At least they dont have sailboats taking five hours to cross the bay in no wind anymore. Someone up there had a brain and figured that wasnt working! :)

#2 ·
Is it just my imagination or are the folks up in Bham just a little ultra-sport crazy. They cant just run a cross country or 10k road race said:
We had the Olympic Triathlon trials up here this summer (supposedly this course may become a world cup stop in the future). The bicycle course was six laps and each lap they had to ride up this uber hill that's 17% grade and 1 mile long. Completely hard core.

#3 ·
TB, I got signed up for the Crystal Race, which is timed at 30 second intervals for each racer. The Mount Baker Race has group starts. Thanks for the heads up on the Crystal. I am thinking of the Baker Race. I am guessing it will have a bigger turnout than last year. It looks like some of the Seattle area clubs have put it on their calendars. I dusted off my road bike and road to the top of Blewett Pass. If you can believe this it took almost as long to ride back down-it was really windy over here. How about it, are you going to do Baker?

#4 ·
borregokid said:
TB, I got signed up for the Crystal Race, which is timed at 30 second intervals for each racer. The Mount Baker Race has group starts. Thanks for the heads up on the Crystal. I am thinking of the Baker Race. I am guessing it will have a bigger turnout than last year. It looks like some of the Seattle area clubs have put it on their calendars. I dusted off my road bike and road to the top of Blewett Pass. If you can believe this it took almost as long to ride back down-it was really windy over here. How about it, are you going to do Baker?
I think I'm going to pass on the Baker hill climb. I'm freakin broke and don't get money until after school starts. Plus, I am going to focus on CX this fall. So I don't need to get my ass kicked the week before the first ECC race. I really want to do some hill climbs (and some road racing in general), but I don't have the resources. Have fun at Crystal! I'd rather do crystal than baker. Maybe next year! heh. :cool:

#5 ·
I know what you mean, I am married so I am kinda in the same position. Anyway I did the Crystal Hill Climb. It looked like about 120 riders, I didnt see anyone I knew from the WiMS races but there were probably a couple in the crowd. It was a time trial with riders starting every 30 seconds. One thing different about these roadies and the average mountain biker is weight. Sure there are a lot of skinny mountain bikers but not like roadies. At 183 pounds I might have been the second or third biggest guy there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.