mtbr member
    Jun 2012

More trails in Leavenworth in planning stage, your voice needs to be heard by the 16t

Let your voice be heard. Contacting the USFS and letting them know what you thinking works best on our lands can work, but it doesn't happen with only a few people.

Plan C is less of an impact on the land over all, gives more people the chance to enjoy more of the land and cost $125,000 less then there plan A. Review the plan, there is some good stuff in there.

Dirt pirate, (or any other eastsiders) What do you know about this?

Leavenworth Ski Hill Trails Public Comment
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

NW MTBER

done!

letter sent! thanks!
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Help Get New Leavenworth Trails Open to Mountain Bikes - Comments needed by THIS Sat!

Hey Folks,

Here are a bunch more details on what's going on over in Leavenworth, and how you can help get more new trails open for biking...

Please Take Action Now - Public Comment Period Ends at End of Day THIS Saturday (2/16/13)!

We're excited to report that the Forest Service is completing an Environmental Assessment for new biking and hiking trails at Ski Hill and Freund Canyon (Tumwater Mountain), and is requesting public comments.

Unfortunately their Proposed Action (meaning their preferred option) is Alternative A which would result in only 5.1 miles of trail open to mountain bikes in the study area! New trail open only to hikers would be over 3.7 miles, this despite the fact that the Forest Service noted in their own assessment that at Scoping (12/1/08) and Public Meeting (6/30/09) there was "virtually no support for hiker only trails".

The proposal appears to include hiker-only trail based upon the 15 year old Tumwater Mountain Trail Plan which, because of the explosive growth of mountain biking, clearly does not reflect the current non-motorized trail needs of the area. Given the close proximity of hiker-only trails in the Icicle Creek Canyon there is no compelling need for hiker-only trails.

Instead of Alternative A, we believe the best course of action is a modification of Alternative C with Adaptive Management (see below for details). Help ensure more new trails around Leavenworth are open to mountain bikes by sending an email supporting Alternative C with Adaptive Management.

You voice needs to be heard by THIS Saturday, so please email your comments now to:

Jeff Rivera (U.S. Forest Service deciding official)
    At: comments-pacificnorthwest-wenatchee-wrrd@fs.fed.us
    Subject Line: Ski Hill EA Public Comments

Be sure to include your name and address.

Here is a summary of issues we think are important to comment on, but please comment in your own words!!

1. There is a huge demand for new, well-built, trails open to mountain biking and you wholeheartedly support this effort.

2. An appropriate network of new trails will result in you visiting Leavenworth more often.

3. The network of only 5.1 miles of trails open to bikes under the Proposed Action (Alternative A) would not come close to meeting the enormous demand for our low-impact recreation and would leave the identified "Need for Action" unsatisfied.

4. You support Alternative C with Adaptive Management with the following changes:

a) All trails should be open to mountain bikes. There is no identified need or community support for hiking-only trails.
    b) Addition of a connector trail from FR 7701-000 to replace decommissioned UB-5.

5. This trail network will be primarily a cross-country style riding opportunity. However, if your riding style includes technically challenging riding then tell the Forest Service you would like them to be open to the inclusion of technical trail options during the design and construction of appropriate trails.

Learn more about the Environmental Assessment and the Alternatives here: USDA Forest Service - Wenatchee River Ranger District NEPA Projects - Ski Hill/Freund Trails (formerly Tumwater Mountain Trails)

Thanks for supporting the cause!
    Stacy
    Last edited by EvergreenStacy; 02-14-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the additional info Stacy. Levy could use some good xc riding that I could actually bring my kids on (small/easy loops) as well as more xc close to town than just the Freund loop. Will send a letter off before it's too late.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey Folks,
    Remember, we need your comments to go out to the Forest Service by end of day Saturday if we want to see more new bike trails in Leavenworth.

Please read my full post above and take action ASAP.

Thanks so much!

Justin Vander Pol
    Thanks for the reminder, I just sent my comments in. A good xc addition to Freund really would be awesome! Too bad their preferred alternative A is a bit weak.

Get those comments in, Alt C would be really great for us!
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Letter sent. NOt as long or eloquent as my 90's masterpieces, but these things are more about quantity than quality.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for sending those emails y'all!