Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I5Troll

Modus Spring Trail Work Series at Duthie

It's Modus March Madness at Duthie... Lotsa schwag and big prizes from Fox and Shimano for the top volunteers in the series. Stay tuned for more detail. In the meantime, sign up on the Evergreen calendar. First one is this Sat: 1st Modus Spring Work Party.

Work parties are focused on and greening up construction areas beside new trails and beefing up Bootcamp and StepItUp with better drainage, flow and armoring. More info on Evergreen calendar: Evergreen MTB Calendar.
    Last edited by mwestra2; 03-15-2012 at 09:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Sounds awesome, Mike! Too bad they're all on days I have to work! I keep telling Tim I will be out one of these sundays for a workparty soon!

mtbr member
    Awesome idea. Does volunteering for other Duthie work parties count towards the Modus tally? Or, is it simply those posted days?

BTW, when are you (et al) going to finish the Gravy Train walk-up. Running into people hiking up the trail is getting tiresome If someone would cut the wood, I could help with the mini-boardwalk.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What's the deal with the antlers?
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    Does volunteering for other Duthie work parties count towards the Modus tally? Or, is it simply those posted days?
    The Modus schwag and prize deal is only for those 6 work parties posted on the calendar: Sat 3/17, Sat 3/24, Fri 3/30, Sun 4/1, Thu 4/5 and Sat 4/7. The work will be focused on beefing up the XC trails and greening up / cleaning up around the the clearing. That's where we really need the most help right now.

Hope to see you there!

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    BTW, when are you (et al) going to finish the Gravy Train walk-up. Running into people hiking up the trail is getting tiresome If someone would cut the wood, I could help with the mini-boardwalk.
    I'm leaning toward just bushwhacking a new path closer to the trail. I think it could be done in a day with big team of Gravy Train riders. Whutcha think, LgXtrCheeze? No uprooting vegetation or moving/upturning dirt... just clear a walkable path next to the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yah sounds good. Shouldn't be too bad. I'll be out next week to work on that and the problem spots with drainage and flow.

FM
    luxatio erecta

Just my .02c

IMO the main reason people are pushing up Gravy Train, is just to session the particular jumps they're having problems clearing. So even if there's a good walk-up, I suspect many won't use it, unless it allows them to work on "Sections" of the trail without riding the entire thing.

Not to mention.... seems to me, I could have ridden up the duthie hill trail (Boardwalk trail) in less time than it took to pedal up the walk-up. That's a pretty flat area, I'm not sure a walk-up is even required. That's my personal preference though, and I'm probably not the typical gravy train rider.

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    ...unless it allows them to work on "Sections" of the trail without riding the entire thing.
    Exchanged emails with the Cheeze... he's planning to make the walk-up right next to the trail so riders can session any part of the trail they want.

I'm seeing people session from 4 spots... the very top, top of the little hill, just before the 2 berms and just before the last 4 or so jumps. I'd like to clear a little space around those "entrances", too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just like on the HLC line. We routed it close for people to watch other riders coming down and to offer bailout points. Nobody likes the other walkup because of the length and mudspots. No biggie. I like to watch riders coming down while I'm heading back up. It makes sessioning it more fun and you may learn something by watching others flying by.

mtbr member
    Scotts post makes a good point. I agree, no way that walk-up will work, unless it offers some advantage. I've timed both the walkup and taking the trail (Step It Up). The walk up is about 10 seconds faster, averaged over 3 laps. If the bog wasnt there you could probably gain 20 sec. In mid summer (no mud) it will be even faster, but it is a moot point.

If I see Kevin out there this weekend, I'll be glad to help.

While we are fixing the muddy spots we should probably fix the third to the last jump. I land almost to flat, and then have a hard time cleaning the last two. I am sure you guys are aware and will keep fine tuning things. I love to throw dirt so I'll catch up with someone this weekend.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I didn't see it on the list but if anyone wants to walk Movin' On with a shovel and clear the pocket drains, it would be greatly appreciated. Until Kevin and Mike can get in and really open those suckers up. It's pretty dry now but there are a few trouble spots.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Good turn out today it was snowing then raining then it stopped. Lunch at the shelter was nice. We worked on the uphill part of Boot Camp adding berms and rollers for more flow and drainage.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Glad to hear turnout was good last weekend. Hopefully lots of people show up for this weekend's work party too. Should be much better weather.

I5Troll

Modus Work Party at Duthie on Sat

Yes! Saturday is looking nice...

Join us any time between 10am and 3pm as we build berms, rollers and drains on Bootcamp, and green up the clearing. Evergreen MTB Calendar

Great work party last Saturday... Thanks to James, Nate, Dave, Rob, Jerry, Mason/Renee, Max, Peter, Thomas, Mike, Vaughan and Cayden. Let me know if I forgot someone.

Schwag to be had, grill to be fired up, cooler to be opened... and score points for the final prizes...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Good turnout today, more berms on Boot Camp.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's so sad..... Let's get the beginners to learn how to ride berms so they fail miserably later on flat or off camber turns... Controversial. Maybe. Right? Yes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    That's so sad..... Let's get the beginners to learn how to ride berms so they fail miserably later on flat or off camber turns... Controversial. Maybe. Right? Yes.
    Berms and rollers on Bootcamp and StepItUp have less to do about promoting or not promoting rider skills; or promoting flow. It's largely the by-product of having to make a trail sustainable in an environment one would not normally build a bike trail in (i.e. soft soils + flat terrain + deciduous forest). This is especially true for heavily used trails like Bootcamp. Without some residual rock the trail tread breaks down if a puddle forms in the ride line and then hundreds of wheels ride thru it. Absent of rock or boardwalking/turnpiking, one is largely left with altering the terrain to get the water out of the ride line asap as well as assisting the rider in staying off the breaks.

The current work on Bootcamp alone is the 3rd major attempt to build/rebuild something sustainable in 2 years.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, those pesky berms!

Positive:
    Maximum corner exit speed
    More control
    Better drainage
    Super fun
    Look cool
    Dirt spraying off the tops
    Great photo ops
    Actually helps beginners learn how to corner properly.

Negative:
    Borneo

Yep, that about covers it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hehehe...

We should just pave it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i'm still not getting what the antler thing is about...
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

I5Troll

I don't like berms! I don't like flow! I want more puddles, roots, mud and erosion!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    C'mon Mike, you know the first two don't eliminate the last 4.

Yeah, what's the deal with the antlers? (Diverting this away from me...)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Don't forget the roots aren't the same for 16 and 20 inch wheels with no suspension.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    dang it, hate it when I have to agree with you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast