mtbr member

Miller peak rideable

Still quite a bit of snow though and we didn't even make it to the top. Mostly small patches but a couple big ones around the side ridges of the mountain. The creeks are pretty high too. It might take until the 4th of July for all of the snow to melt

Tons of hikers. I thought I was riding Blanchard mt again. Almost ran over one but he was cool. Didn't get mad at all. I guess once our moto friends take over, they'll force the hikers elsewhere. Until then, be careful around blind corners.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks! I should be getting some of that about then. Need to ask Art about the Jack Creek Trail coming down from the ridge as an option starting from 29 Pines at the end of the pavement.
    Though I much prefer finishing with Iron Creek. Fast and fun,

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Need to ask Art about the Jack Creek Trail coming down from the ridge as an option starting from 29 Pines at the end of the pavement.
    You've been talking about the Jack Creek trail for 3 years now. Ride it already!

I drew a quick track and it's 9 1/2 miles from 29 Pines to the bottom of the Jack Creek trail. Less than 5 from 29 Pines to the bottom of Iron/Bear. Doesn't sound like much of an option up. Jack Creek trail is only about 2 1/2 miles long. Going down and bombing the road might be, if it's steep enough and smooth enough.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hehehe. Yeah I know. Couldn't find the top the last attempt. Was thinking of riding up Iron Bear, OaB to Miller and then down Jack Creek/road...

Faster the Better!
    Apr 2005
    Oh...Miller.. All Pain and very little Gain!

Floyd

mtbr member
    May 2004

Riiiight.

You were digging the descent. Come clean now...

2 weeks?

mtbr member
    agreed, there was a time when i thought miller was fun but these days it holds no interest.........the actual miller peak trail is a great downhill rip but way too far out for a quick out and back. glad someone is still out there though representing for the mtb'ers

[QUOTE=Seattlechronic]Oh...Miller.. All Pain and very little Gain

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteric
    ....the actual miller peak trail is a great downhill rip but way too far out for a quick out and back.
    Quick OAB?

mtbr member
    i guess what i was trying to say is that the only way i'd do that ride anymore would be to push up from the bottom of the miller peak descent and possibly over to some of the traverse. but because its so damn far out there it and i live in seattle i doubt i'd ever do it in any fashion, well maybe when i'm 60 and rediscover my xc roots

meh....
    i guess what i was trying to say is that the only way i'd do that ride anymore would be to push up from the bottom of the miller peak descent and possibly over to some of the traverse. but because its so damn far out there it and i live in seattle i doubt i'd ever do it in any fashion, well maybe when i'm 60 and rediscover my xc roots
    Hmm, I drive from Bellingham and have done it every year for the last 3-4 years. Guess my XC roots are there.

mtbr member
    and thats cool for you. all i'm saying is i used to ride all the big rides in the teanaway and made up a few new ones along the way but these days for my money miller peak as a loop is not worth the effort. i prefer my rides to get the climbing done at the beginning (hopefully on a logging/service road) and bomb some trail back down. also a 50/50 split is ideal between the two. miller peak has a lot of up and down along the way and i just don't enjoy that so much anymore. i also dont think kachess ridge is worth it anymore either as a loop (10+miles of road for 6 miles of trail?) but thats a different thread......... do you ever explore futher up salmon las sac? there is an old 4x4 road that gets you way the hell up to the west side of engalls (sp?) pass and you can connect more trail and 4x4 road over to boulder creek or another west facing trail back down to salmon la sac.......can't remember all the names as its been a while but def. some fun stuff out there that at least in the late 90's not many people were riding. cheers

meh....
    do you ever explore futher up salmon las sac?
    No, never looked at it. I'll check it out.

meh....
    do you ever explore futher up salmon las sac? there is an old 4x4 road that gets you way the hell up to the west side of engalls (sp?) pass
    Van Epps Pass (B) maybe? I don't see any 4WD near Ingalls Pass(A). Link to mapper.acme.com map

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Monte, If scotteric is talking that area, it must be the Fortune Creek 4x4 road. (The one we briefly use from Esmeralda to Gallagher Head lake as Boulder is just past that on the right heading back down.) Or over into Middle Fork, up to Jolly and down perhaps?

Miller's not at the top of the list in that area but Iron Bear and Iron Creek are awesome both ways. Will be likely doing and out and back on the ridge from the 4 way from now on to Miller though. Old school Art style. Sitting atop Miller is pretty fine though. Other than the scree up heading back, it's definately all good.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Monte, If scotteric is talking that area, it must be the Fortune Creek 4x4 road. (The one we briefly use from Esmeralda to Gallagher Head lake as Boulder is just past that on the right heading back down.) Or over into Middle Fork, up to Jolly and down perhaps?

Miller's not at the top of the list in that area but Iron Bear and Iron Creek are awesome both ways. Will be likely doing and out and back on the ridge from the 4 way from now on to Miller though. Old school Art style. Sitting atop Miller is pretty fine though. Other than the scree up heading back, it's definately all good.
    Looking at some USGS topo's online I see the Fortune Creek 4x track we use. There are lots of "Pack" trails around there that might not be on GreenTrails maps, might have to explore a bit.

Miller might not be the "best", but it's high and it's open, that's part of what I like about it. I do think the whole ride is good, worth doing every year for me. I don't mind some pushing, obviously.

mtbr member
    i'll have to look at my green trails, its been a while but all the trails we rode were on green trails although one or two might not have been totally "legal" for bikes. i'll get back to you on this...........

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattlechronic
    Oh...Miller.. All Pain and very little Gain!

Floyd
    I agree with Floyd.

Ridden Miller Peak many times and as part of all kinds of loops.
    The scenery is great but the payback is just not there.

mtbr member
    i knew i couldn't be the only one who thought this and you are more "all mountain" than me, eh????

FM
    luxatio erecta
    do you ever explore futher up salmon las sac? there is an old 4x4 road that gets you way the hell up to the west side of engalls (sp?) pass and you can connect more trail and 4x4 road over to boulder creek or another west facing trail back down to salmon la sac.......can't remember all the names as its been a while but def. some fun stuff out there that at least in the late 90's not many people were riding. cheers
    Are you talking about the jeep road that climbs up against the creek, up to gallagherhead lake, and then you take the deroux trail back down? If so, yeah, Thats a rockin' good time. Gonna hit that this season.

That trail has some technical challenge.
    I think I may have rediscovered my XC roots this year
    But Miller peak is too lacking in technical challenge IMHO.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I agree with Floyd.

Ridden Miller Peak many times and as part of all kinds of loops.
    The scenery is great but the payback is just not there.
    I'm about as pure XC as you can get, but I'll vote with the AM guys on this one. It's not necessarily a bad ride, but if I'm going to the Teanaway, it's not at the top of my list.