Thread: Miller Peak

Slothful dirt hippie

Miller Peak

Since I know a bunch of folks are eyeballing this one, thought I'd pass along the latest conditions report from Sahaptin Outfitters, as they were hiking it yesterday (5/26/13):

Official version: ...Miller is not as clear as we originally thought. Snow covers the majority of the last 1.5 miles of trail. Snow will continue to clear out over the next week or so and the trail should finally be snow free by the 2nd week of June...
    Nate's version: ...it poured rain for the majority of my hike. When I reached the last two legs up to the summit I could see maybe 20 feet in front of me and there were snow drifts with some wicked cornices that I had a hard time seeing. [eta: he was in a temporary whiteout] Fun stuff. Didn't get the full experience since I couldn't see anything but that one is done.

A bear was spotted on the trail as well, but that's kind of "news at 11" for Kittitas Co and it has plenty of other places to rummage around. Kinda doubt it will be a problem.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks! Looked better than that from the lower 'way last weekend.
    Usually by 4th of July, its a keeper. Same with Esmeralda...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    We rode up to the saddle on Iron Bear Sunday afternoon. The road is gated at Standup Creek, giving you a good warm up before hitting the trail. The trail surface is in great shape, just a few muddy patches. There was a lot of tree litter on the lower 2/3 - sticks, branches, a few small blow downs- so it was a slow ride up, stopping every 50 ft. to clear crud from the trail. We encountered several hikers, all of whom opted for trail braiding over trail clearing. Slackers. The descent was as fun as ever, I just wish it was about 5 times longer!

Don't forget bug juice! We got mobbed every time we stopped moving.

Cat Herder
    I think that I will hit Esmeralda this weekend. I assume those muddy patches are long gone by now. Have you been back since in May?
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

Slothful dirt hippie
    I haven't been up there at all this season. But based on weather and what I've seen around the 'hood, I'd expect it to be hot and dusty. Early start would be advisable. Maybe a lightning rod, lol...
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Cat Herder
    Hot and dusty shouldn't be a problem. I am hoping that the jeep jamboree is over!
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat