Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Middlefork "Opener" 6/1

6/1 (Sat.) is opening day for bicycles on this trail annually.

Graham has surveyed the lower section and there are four trees down across the trail on the first 6 or is it 7 miles of trail.

Our North Bend friend has produced a map of the middle section and marked 20 trees from thunder creek down to wildcat creek. This 5 mile long section of the trail is upriver from Dingford Creek parking lot up to Goldmyer.

From dutch miller down to Goldmyer there are no down trees except one which we will bypass by Saturday. Up top we need light help with vine maple face-slappers with small loppers and handsaws.

Evergreen volunteers will take on the few down trees and do a little brushing to truly "open" the trail.

Two basic options include a 10 mile loop or a 30 mile version with bailouts to the truck staged for the 10 mile loop.

What we are asking of volunteers this Saturday is a pack with just a little room for a small amount of a sawyers load or perhaps a lopper, handsaw, or mini madock we may offer. Oh yeah and toss off the rounds from the saws. Safety glasses, Earmuffs, earplugs, and long fingered working gloves are recommended.

Those helping on upriver from Dingford will tackle the worst of the blowdowns. If your time or energy is limited this is a great option for you to help.

Those willing to pedal 15 miles of road plus 15 miles trail will finish clearing this major route and get in a full day's ride.

http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/c...event_id=11098

We will have a couple of water filters on the trail and BBQ and more fluid refreshments at the trailhead.

One day trail passes will be provided.

1st generation boonies hydroelectric generator at Goldmyer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Middlefork "Opener" 6/1-uploadfromtaptalk1369720431610.jpg  

Last edited by Len.Francies; 06-08-2013 at 08:04 PM.

bro not pro
    a great video of a Middle Fork work party made by Brian Paulter a coupleyears ago

G O N Z

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    That video makes me smile every time I watch it

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Indeed! Len loves his saw.... Got the same one after seeing it in work and know now why he loves it so... Will have to get Mid Fork on the list this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm working at tiger that day, but I may swing up with cold beers for you guys around 3:30ish, self service, cuz I'm going to go ride the freshies and try to help out on the back end of things.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member

Re: Middlefork "Opener" 6/1

Thanks Bob but this is about the MF and Jen Lesher having backroom meetings with friendly hiking groups for years so we could show USFS we could work out our own squabbles.

Its about about a fine young man Brian Paulter from Tampa Florida coming here for one year, getting his chainsaw cert, then looking for a copilot he found Mr. Davis and those two sawed over 20 days two years ago both on Middlefork and the white river. Brian told us he learned so much from Bill and I kept that vital connection he had established.

Its about now we have 8 new USFS certs from USFS snoqualmie district (and they will be the sawyers of record) and a light winters worth of trees to saw such that we cyclists can clear the 15 mile trail Jen, Brian Jones and many of you worked for for over 10 years to regain access to in ONE DAY.

Next year these newly certified sawyers will be recognized as journeymen so when we get a bad winter (like our friends east of the cascades) we will have a fleet not one or two broken-backed old guys.

mtbr member

(Map of trees down removed per request)

mtbr member
    I've been aquainted with Bill for a few years. He knows the area like the back of his hand and is an invaulable friend and NB area resource. Thanks for all you do Bill!
    2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29'r
    2009 Roubaix Comp
    that's all my wife will let me have......

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_H View Post
    I've been aquainted with Bill for a few years. He knows the area like the back of his hand ....
    He also feeds switchbacks.com owner moun10bike gps tracks of his trail data for the area.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Should be a good time!
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

I5Troll
    You might have 2 more on Saturday... trying to talk Julie into joining the WP, BBQ and ride. Sounds like a blast! And yes, awesome history behind that trail. Thanks all!

mtbr member

Hope to see you and Julie Mike.

If anyone is sitting on the fence this is more like a fair to epic sized ride and just enough work time to fill in all important time sheets. Its not bad at all out there and this is a gravy run so come celebrate the opening of this wild and scenic trail with your brothers and sisters.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    I'd love to go Len, but while I got released from the DL list yesterday (hernia surgery two weeks ago tomorrow!) I'm thinking even 10 miles might be much. But I dunno. I can lop and probably even bend over to pick stuff up.
    Rolland

mtbr member

Before and after shots just above Goldmyer this evening.

Bill sawed and Graham and I clawed at the underside of the rootball so its very rideable.

Erna supervised.

Now we get to ride the whole trail Saturday just behind the saws.

I need to clarify there will be at least two to four brushing parties in the weeks ahead. At this moment there's barely any issues. A couple of years ago Glenn and Peter Partel and I brought weedwhackers up about 6/1 and there was barely anything to whack. This week is just some vine maple branches in your face and we will be fine with what we have signed up. Just winking that if you haven't had major surgery and want a good roll now is going to be much less brushy than two weeks from now.

Glad to hear you are on the mend SS. When you are ready the MF will be waiting with open trail.

For folks looking to help: Tiger has a great National Trails Day event as well.
    (Sat. 6/1 is NTD)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Middlefork "Opener" 6/1-uploadfromtaptalk1369981171666.jpg  

Middlefork "Opener" 6/1-uploadfromtaptalk1369981148819.jpg  

mtbr member

Yep its open and cleared.

Sawyers of record Gonz/PeteP 3 tanks of gas, Woodway/BrianCr 2 tanks and Graham leadership, brushing, last 4 trees and more! Seriously this was fun and we got some work done.

"Hey get out of my video!"
    Fun with Woodway across Burnt Boot.

So again we want you to ride it asap in the next week or two (on odd numbered calendar days) as the sun will close it off with green growth until we come back to brush about or after the solstice.

One more tree and midriver for Gonz!

Art eventually got three nice big ones centered up.

Great to share "opening day" with so many old and new friends.

Clink :beer:
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 06-02-2013 at 12:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks Len, Peter, Brian & Graham for running the saws and feeding us yummy burgers!

Trail was in amazingly nice condition today for this early in the season, particularly the top section between DMG and Goldmyer. As Graham and Len said, it will turn into a jungle in a few weeks and another brushing party have to be organized, I'm sure. If you can get out there this week while sunny, you should be golden.

Middlefork "Opener" 6/1-img_0263.jpg

Middlefork "Opener" 6/1-img_0264.jpg

Middlefork "Opener" 6/1-img_0267-xl.jpg
    Last edited by Bruiser; 06-02-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Here are a few snippets of video I shot yesterday. Someday I'll learn how to actually use my camera.

Super fun day yesterday. Thanks Len for being the better half of our saw team!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Was a good time! No pictures my camera is busted.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Looks great! Heading up there tomorrow to check out your work! Old and slow if any one wants to join me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here's the money shot of Garfield Mt.
    Middlefork "Opener" 6/1-middle-fork-snoqualmie-ride-017.jpg

And the obligatory Middle Fork Bridge picture. It is a shapely bridge.
    Middlefork "Opener" 6/1-middle-fork-snoqualmie-ride-019-1800x1350-.jpg
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

bro not pro
    Lovely movie Brian. cool music, great editing, and that pole thing really works ! What software do you use ? -Peter
    G O N Z

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks Peter! I used good old Windows Movie Maker. It's easy to use and the price is right..,

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Dang -- Sorry I missed it.

Len, I could have should have gone. The test road ride on the bike on the way home went without a hitch and I spent all day Sunday throwing stuff about the yard.

The guilt spigot is open from here on out if I don't show up for any more work parties.
    Rolland

Just roll it......
    Thank you just doesn't cut it, but that's all I got for you folks today.

Lemme know when you guys ride Galby next time and I'll have some tasty malted beverages stashed for you in a creek.

EB

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hello. Planning to ride Middle Fork tomorrow going up the road to DMG TH then down the trail all the way back. Is this the "easiest" way do this?

Is the bit bewtween DMG and the hot springs worth the extra effort? Looks like it to me but my group may not think so aft 10 miles on the road.

Planning on about 6 hours leisurely pace round-trip. Tried riding it about 7-8 years ago when wet and made it up to Dingford on the trail then was done and needed a serious jungle wacker. Normally mountain bike but been training for the STP and need to ride some dirt but keep up with the training.

Thank you for any info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast