Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Middle Fork Snoqualmie Double Odd Weekend Sat 8/31+ Sun 9/1

So I put rides on evergreen calendar Saturday for more speedy types and Sunday for slower yet competent and ready for anything types.

Camping could happen but TBD.

If you and your crew go too make us all proud cause as we saw in the movie: chicks dig it.

mtbr member
    The "blue moon" math on this is July and August are the two 31 day months between June and sept (trail closes Nov 1st) and there is a 1/7 chance for the 31st to fall on a Saturday so 1st is Sunday. Next time this happens is august 2019. There will be a solar eclipse between here and Portland in 2017 before then!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well it might be rare but it would be much more convenient for me if Monday was the odd day. Hope to see you up there in some form on Sunday (but definitely not on the road climb !)

Sawyer Gnome
    What route are you thinking of taking? Out and back full length from the MF trailhead?
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That's my route but Len will most likely be leading up the road.

mtbr member

Re: Middle Fork Snoqualmie Double Odd Weekend Sat 8/31+ Sun 9/1

The purpose of this is to show you the easiest way so you can came back and start tinkering with the options.

Its plenty of work at nearly 30 miles. We had a friend that had to pull out and ride the road back from dingford.

I ride this every couple of weeks and know what is around every turn and have cast out most of my demons with multiple visits.

This is to help those capable and generally confident on slightly rugged terrain to see how great this is about an hour from home.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I haven't done this ride and am considering going on Saturday. How does it compare to other rides in the area?

mtbr member
    Lots of rolling terrain and great views, not a 'climb then descend" type of ride at all. Quite a few sections of hiking err.... step thingies to either trials ride up and down or walk too. Highly recommended if you've never been, it's a great ride. The FS road to get there is long and in so so shape, so leave plenty of time for that.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

bro not pro
    there's a leaner tree on the RR section between Goldmeyer and Dingford that disturbs me ... a handsaw would be sufficient.
    G O N Z

mtbr member
    Saturday is shaping up to be the confident crew. Its on!

I have a couple of nibbles for Sunday to help get you intermediates a nice day in the magical forest.

mtbr member
    Add me as another nibble for Sunday. Still waiting to hear if I'm going to Portland this weekend or not...
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Sawyer Gnome
    I'm also toying with Sunday if I can possibly make it happen.
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Add me as another nibble for Sunday. Still waiting to hear if I'm going to Portland this weekend or not...
    Ditto (all of it)

mtbr member
    Thinking Saturday may be a go. Just don't want to hold the group up so may go solo. Comparisons to the Harris lake work party ride from last Saturday?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

mtbr member

Re: Middle Fork Snoqualmie Double Odd Weekend Sat 8/31+ Sun 9/1

Quote Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
    ... Comparisons to the Harris lake work party ride from last Saturday?
    (This is Len...)

No one gets left behind except maybe me so pick your day and let's go pedaling. Just plan for 5-7 hours being out. Sunday will be same route at about 6-8 hours so a little slower and more breaks... hope that helps.

Also here is the Evergreen trail wiki link to this trail with plenty of info. The advocacy section near the bottom underscores the great achievement BBTC/ EMBA did to regain access over nearly a decade.

http://trails.evergreenmtb.org/wiki/...oqualmie_River

Thanks KenO for showing us why that neighborhood road is closed and no I can't ride that rock but I ride every thing I can on this trail!

mtbr member
    Similar in that the elevation is deceptive. On the map it looks like about 1000 ft. But you end climbing close to 3000 with all the ups and downs.
    Similar in that the canyon/valley views are amazing. And make sure you go all the way. The last 4 miles of trail are one of my all time favs.
    (I was on the yeti Sat on Hansen).

EMBA Member
    Per my bike GPS, up the trail from the trailhead to Dingford Creek, then up the road to Dutch Miller horse camp, and back down the trail to the starting point, is 27.32 miles and 3,330 ft of climbing.

mtbr member
    About a half mile up from dingford a massive pair of 40" each cedars are down within the last 48 hours. While it smells like a giant pencil sharpener its a royal pain to get over.

The trail is a little slippery after Thursdays inch+ of rain especially the wood bridges.

Thanks old and new friends for a wonderful day.
    Last edited by paleo; 09-01-2013 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Day 2 theme touch of grey: I will get by/survive. What a lovely train wreck. Tiger tech apparently is not the same as mf . Who knew? So next time my interview will ask for near death come from behinds you didn't quit on. Everyone added this question's answer to their resume today. Oh and I lost my beloved under seat tool bag with my car key and eventually remembered I magnetized a key somewhere under the rig.

The marketer and accountant in me thinks the Best part of this weekend was I dared everyone to crush this trail with love and I'm so happy you carried through with your own plans.

Middle fork remains the domain of the humble enlightened.

Now you see it now you don't tree photos tomorrow / Monday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks Len - Yea verily let it be said -

U DA MAN !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo View Post
    Day 2 theme touch of grey: I will get by/survive. What a lovely train wreck. Tiger tech apparently is not the same as mf . Who knew? So next time my interview will ask for near death come from behinds you didn't quit on. Everyone added this question's answer to their resume today. Oh and I lost my beloved under seat tool bag with my car key and eventually remembered I magnetized a key somewhere under the rig.

The marketer and accountant in me thinks the Best part of this weekend was I dared everyone to crush this trail with love and I'm so happy you carried through with your own plans.

Middle fork remains the domain of the humble enlightened.

Given this description of a death march I am glad my wife talked me out of signing up for Sunday. I did do the 20 mile + version via Goldmyer Bridge. There was nothing left in the tank as I hit the lot. I must say that this trail is a must ride but it needs a bike that is comfortable to shoulder so you can scramble/climb with a free hand. It increase my confidence a little knowing that there was a group somewhere behind me on the trail.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by faceplant72 View Post
    Given this description of a death march I am glad my wife talked me out of signing up for Sunday. I did do the 20 mile + version via Goldmyer Bridge. There was nothing left in the tank as I hit the lot. I must say that this trail is a must ride but it needs a bike that is comfortable to shoulder so you can scramble/climb with a free hand. It increase my confidence a little knowing that there was a group somewhere behind me on the trail.
    The first time I rode this trail this year I went trail out and back to the hot springs. Second time, it was trail to Dingford Creek, then road to top and trail all the way back. IMO the two rides were equally strenuous even though the second was farther and more climbing. The upriver tech stuff between Dingford and the hot springs took a lot out of me. Hats off to people that ride trail all the way to Dutch Miller and back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo View Post
    Headmaster (20 hours)
    Middle Fork Snoqualmie Double Odd Weekend  Sat 8/31+ Sun 9/1-dscn0196.jpg
    Work in Progress
    Middle Fork Snoqualmie Double Odd Weekend  Sat 8/31+ Sun 9/1-dscn0202-3.jpg
    Graduation (40 hours Total)
    Middle Fork Snoqualmie Double Odd Weekend  Sat 8/31+ Sun 9/1-dscn0207.jpg
    Well done class!
    Middle Fork Snoqualmie Double Odd Weekend  Sat 8/31+ Sun 9/1-dscn0213.jpg
    Photos Courtesy of Headmaster Bill.
    Last edited by paleo; 09-05-2013 at 10:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Middle Fork Snoqualmie Double Odd Weekend Sat 8/31+ Sun 9/1

Awesome work! Those were some massive trees! The smell of fresh cedar was overwhelming. After hitting them Sat morn, we didn't even try to get over them with bikes and just spent the rest of the day fishing & riding back.

Thanks to the entire sawyer team for such fast work!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast