Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Middle Fork RR (6/1)

Guess I'll start this off, seeing as it looks like I got first tracks. I did my usual lollipop route, starting from the lower parking lot (up the trail to Dingford, cross over to the road, up the road to the top, then all the way down the trail). Left the car at 8, made it to top at 10, back at the car by 12:45. Didn't see anyone, hike or bike, until around the Snow Lakes cutoff on the way down. Top section is in great shape, but the brush is already taking over from just after the first bridge. I counted one lift-over blowdown, one squeeze-under, and 2-3 bunny-hoppers. Beautiful day! The last mile took forever because I had to chat with all the hikers on their way up - I had a bad case of the grins.

mtbr member

Re: Middle Fork RR (6/1)

Bunny hoppers are good. Remember we are mountain bikers ;-)

Gonz told me there were two 6"ers forcing dismounts on the middle section. Your first tracks report (we have a winner!) confirms those so congrats and thanks for grinning at the hikers.

I'm going to try to get those two with a handsaw Saturday.

Who hoo its open!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks much for the RR. What were your observations of the road situation driving up and back to the trailhead?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This was a Sunday, no road work going on that I could see. They are replacing one of the bridges, so there's a temporary one-lane Bailey bridge. The parking lot is being used to stage construction equipment - it's blocked off. You park on the road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    Thanks much for the RR. What were your observations of the road situation driving up and back to the trailhead?
    Check this website for road closure info and plan accordingly.
    WFL > Projects > Washington > Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Road
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

bro not pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sproqitman View Post
    Left the car at 8, made it to top at 10, back at the car by 12:45.
    wow - race pace ! 2 hours up, 2:45 down. a roadie would never understand.
    G O N Z

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonz View Post
    wow - race pace ! 2 hours up, 2:45 down. a roadie would never understand.
    Actually, I'm a recovering roadie. I can climb like nobody's business. Descending - I'm still learning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the report, and nice work getttin her done on opening day! Is that sketchy learner still there about 2 miles up from the lower trailhead? It was a squeeze under as of a few weeks ago. As for the brush, we (evergreen) will organize a work party soon to deal with that....and will need help. cheers, gt

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The leaner is still there. There's also the top half of a tree sitting upright on the trail a little farther up. One step-over log between Burnboot and Dingford. It's already in pieces, but completely water-logged. I tried to roll it, but it was too heavy for that.

Work party? I'm in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    With the road closure schedule, the next bike friendly weekend day I have for a work party is Sunday, June 29th. The brush will be thick by then, and although we will have to endure a few more weeks of it, that is a pretty good time to get after it. I will post a work party on the Evergreen Calendar for that day, and if we get a chance to get up there sooner for brushing, I will post that as well.
    cheers, gt

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here is a link to a june 29th work party; the more the merrier!
    Evergreen MTB Calendar
    gt

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by gturnage2002 View Post
    Here is a link to a june 29th work party; the more the merrier!
    Evergreen MTB Calendar
    gt

Game on.
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member

My vote would be we work on Saturday the 28th then camp and next morning we play on our recreational źdd day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Paleo, yea, camping sat night for sure!

Sawyer Gnome
    Camp at Dutch Miller...
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Does anyone know what time they start running the trucks and "working" during the week.
    Is it possible to ride in on CCC from North Bend, do CCC extension, and ride out via Middle Fork road before 8am and not run into trouble?

These guys can't possibly be running trucks and working 24 hrs. a day Monday to Friday. Anybody know if they have a published daily start time?

mtbr member

Noon Mondays is what they have posted. Tell us if you learn otherwise or helpful confirmation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Huge thanks to Paleo, mtbgonz, schuldt, Davis, Pete, Erik, Mic, Walker, Sherril, Molly, Erna for the brush out of Middle Fork! You guys rock, and now the entire trail has been brushed back to rideable, with the exception of about 3 miles, just below Dingford Creek. I am hoping the FS can tackle that remaining section. Of course, there is always more to do, but the bad areas are now clear.

Thanks again to you badass volunteers!
    cheers, gt

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    Does anyone know what time they start running the trucks and "working" during the week.
    Anybody know if they have a published daily start time?
    kellyc,
    You can find construction updates and schedules here: WFL > Projects > Washington > Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Road

Happy riding!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenStacy View Post
    kellyc,
    You can find construction updates and schedules here: WFL > Projects > Washington > Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Road

Happy riding!
    That clears it up. Good link. Bookmarked. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I second the thanks for all your work on the Middle Fork. Has anyone who has ridden the trail on the weekend experienced the "possible 60 minute delay in each direction" on the MF road, or have you been able drive directly to the MF trailhead. Thanks for any info.

mtbr member

I believe the 60 minute delay caveat is written for critical stages in the project.

For example My NB friend says the July 28th closure is about the bridge they are building a little upriver from the CCC trailhead and they seem to have a workaround to closing the road there as they are clearing inland and he has convinced me so im hopeful there will not be a need to close the road for this after July 28th.

At Goldmyer.org 15 spots of 20 still available on sat Aug 2nd if you want to camp.... Sunday aug 3rd 20 of 20 avail to soak and roll: Unprecedented on a weekend. Sign up ASAP!

So far I've only tried the one Friday at 4pm I reported earlier in this thread about a month ago and my experienced opinion is the contractors want the weekend off and it starts about 4pm Friday. That may change if there is a push to make make a project milestone....

This past weekend I went up at 9am Saturday drove out after 7pm. The Road was way more beat up than last weekend but no contractors or delays or even security guards all weekend like month ago.

Previous weekend: Both solstice and day after no way those construction dudes were gonna show up based on direct observation. If you read my earlier post I believe they are really doing the pilot cars and delays between noon and 4pm on Friday.

Prime conditions for folks from eastside to visit.

Cool clear water.
    Last edited by paleo; 06-30-2014 at 11:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Since I did not make it to the rolling cleanup yesterday, I did an out and back to the Middle Fork Trailhead via the CCC road and trail today (Monday) instead. Road construction vehicles and workers were hard at lumbering around and making a lot of racket but they seemed to take off between 4 and 5. It was weird being up there on a sunny warm day and nobody else around. I did see some scouts out doing a 30 mile backpack trip by using the CCC road to the campground and back, plus a couple more miles of hiking. They picked a nice couple of days for the trip!

As an aside, the CCC trail from the road to the campground could use some brushing out and there is one hanger tree about 5" in diameter at the 1 mile mark from the campground side. I had my handsaw with me but that was not gonna happen with me being solo.

I did make sure no traffic was close by as I scurried between the CCC road trail head on the MF road and the CCC trail about 100 yards apart.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    A couple of us Kitsaper's made it up today and did the full meal deal. A big thanks for all the brushing and tree removal.

mtbr member

Thanks for the post. Graham's steady Evergreen leadership and supporting volunteers did fruitful work to get it to what you enjoyed.

For the Rest of the state: its a great place on a hot day.
    Last edited by paleo; 07-13-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast