mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Methow Valley Memorial Day Weekend

Any MTBR'ers going to be in the Methow/Winthrop/Twisp area Memorial Day weekend? Alternately, are there any locals riding that would be willing to let a outsider tag along?

I'm going to there with family and have free reign to ride. I've read on here that there is singletrack somewhere in the area, and I'm not really excited to go ride at Sun Mountain.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Won't be there but some of the Sun Mountain trails ain't all that bad.... Ride all the way down into town and up the other side to Pipestone Canyon for a start.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Heading over this weekend!! We camp down by Mazama. A couple of my "depart from camp" rides are the trails down by Early Winters (lots of double track but beautiful area) and the Rendezvous trails (Back side of Sun Mountain).

mtbr member
    I heard Sun Mountain is awesome. I will be riding over there in June.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Pipestone Canyon is a fun ride...ask Joe @ Methow Cycle and Sport about the snake activity at Pipestone before heading there. Last time I did it, the locals reported the snakes were still pretty mild and we still ran into 5-6 rattlers. Most we had to stop and wait for them to clear the trail. I did spook one that took a dive at my bike.
    Lots of other great trails over there.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with Sun Mountain, nice trails, views, and wild flowers. Methow Cycle has great maps of the entire valley for sale. Where are you camping? Lots of riding out there, I usually just pick something I can ride to from where ever I'm camping.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the replies! Honestly, I'm not even sure where we are camping this year, as my in-laws were responsible this year. I think that means camping-lite, lol. In years past we've stayed in Carlton a number of times, and at the motel in Twisp once too. I'll verify where and post up here. I'll probably just be driving to the trails regardless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Buck Mountain is open. Rendezvous Basin is open. Lightning Creek is open. The whole Bowen Mountain & Pipestone area is open (there's around 20 miles of trails in this area, but not well documented). Sun Mountain is of course open. Twisp River Trail should be open up to North Creek (out and back ride). Virginian Ridge trails are open (lots of miles, steep ups and downs, not well documented).

Stop and see the folks at Methow Cycle & Sport, or the new little shop in Mazama (North Cascades Cycle Works) to get info on those routes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anyone willing to share any recs on camp spots? First trip to the Methow and looking to throw down a tent somewhere with ride access to trails. Dispersed camping is fine and probably preferable. Any particular area mountain bikers tend to congregate? Thanks!