mtbr member
    May 2004

McCleary Decision

This could be a disaster for recreational funding from the state. I don't want to start a political argument here so look it up and stay informed.
    Lots has of ink has been spilled on this subject, so articles wont be hard to find.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Did the state constitution change? Last time I checked the paramount duty was to educate our children, not provide recreational opportunities.

The McCleary decision is the most recent in a long line of court decisions documenting the underfunding of education in this state. Your local district asks for levy dollars because the legislature is failing to live up to the state constitution. The budget update approved this session again failed to reduce class sizes (we continue to be 47th in the nation on this) - an issue the legislature's own commissioned independent research showed was vital to improving student learning. Additionally, the legislature again failed to fund the cost-of-living adjustment for your states' educators - an issue that the voters overwhelmingly approved in 2001. That means that most educators haven't seen a change in their pay since 2008, and will not see a possible change until 2015. So far, that racks up to over 15% less purchasing power.

Instead of balking that funding may be diverted away from areas like recreation (which I agree is important), why not search for a way to partner with education for greater recreational opportunities?

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    I agree. Washington State is generally 48th or 49th by some critical measures of school success, including whether or not high school students go to college; only Oregon and Alaska fare worse!

The lack of funding for the state colleges is almost as bad, but that statistic is just a farce given how well educated the adult population is.

HigherEdInfo.org: College-Going Rates of High School Graduates - Directly from High School
    Rolland