mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Make Your Voice Heard - Teanaway Community Forest Kick-Off Meeting Jan 15

> When: January 15 from 7 to 9 p.m.

> Where: Teanaway Grange
    1361 W. Ballard Hill Road
    Cle Elum, WA 98922

> What: The Washington State departments of Natural Resources (DNR) and Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) are hosting a kick-off meeting in Cle Elum about the public involvement process as they develop a management plan for the Teanaway Community Forest in Kittitas County.

The two agencies are seeking significant public input to help them develop an inclusive and robust management plan. At the meeting, the agencies will present information on the management plan process, how the public can contribute, and how people can apply for membership on the citizen-based Teanaway Community Forest Advisory Committee.

If you’ve ever ridden in the Teanaway, you know this dry, sunny area on the east side of the mountains already has some terrific trails, and the potential for many more miles of stellar singletrack. To ensure mountain bikers needs are addressed in the planning process, we need riders to make their voices heard.

Please attend this and future meetings. And if you’re interested in being on the Teanaway Community Forest Advisory Committee please email glenn (at) evergreenmtb.org.

> About Washington's first state-managed community forest

The Teanaway acquisition in 2013 was the largest single land transaction in Washington State in 45 years and reflects more than a decade of collaboration involving many organizations and individuals. The property is Washington's first state-managed community forest under the terms of legislation enacted in 2011. That law established a model for managing state trust lands that empowers communities to partner with DNR to purchase forests that support local economies and public recreation.

Acquisition of the property was a key step in implementing the Yakima Basin Integrated Plan, an initiative developed by a coalition of public and private organizations to safeguard the basin's water supply, restore fisheries, conserve habitat, preserve working lands, and enhance recreational opportunities.

The forest will be managed through a partnership between DNR and WDFW, with input from the local community and interested stakeholders.

Thanks for supporting the cause!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Here's to hoping some wet siders can make it and a good bunch from the Ellensburg/Cle Elum area. LOTs of great riding in this basin and plenty more great potential.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Make Your Voice Heard - Teanaway Community Forest Kick-Off Meeting Jan 15

Maybe an Evergreen car/vanpool could be organized up?? Troop deployment!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I am planning on attending.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I got room for 3 in my truck, could meet at grand ridge trail head on sunset at 5:30 to make the drive over!
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Awesome Ty, Brian. I'm up for joining in.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I'll see you guys there. My wife and I are planning to go over earlier in the day to poke around on our property over there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    Awesome Ty, Brian. I'm up for joining in.
    Sounds good!
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

I5Troll
    That is some most-awesome terrain! Here's the DNR map showing the forest: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/amp_teanaway_map.pdf.

Here are a few rough maps showing the size relative to some of Borneo's rides. Click for larger map. Cross-hatched parcels are private. Some of this is other DNR lands not part of the 50K acre community forest.

I'm pretty sure the red lines are my tracks from the May 2011 campout Fri & Sat rides. Saw the huge elk herd to the north of the Teanaway Campground (I think) -- lower right corner of the zoom in map.

Make Your Voice Heard - Teanaway Community Forest Kick-Off Meeting Jan 15-teancommforest0109zoomoutlow.jpg

Make Your Voice Heard - Teanaway Community Forest Kick-Off Meeting Jan 15-teancommforest0109zoominlow.jpg

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

Report on the Public Meeting

Tyler, Peter and I attended from the West side. It was a full house and my informal headcount was in the neighborhood of 180-200 people.

The meeting started with a joint presentation by representatives from the DNR and WDFW covering the purchase and planning process for the Teanaway Community forest. The forest objectives laid out in the enabling legislation include conservation, maintaining existing (and expanding when possible) recreation uses, cattle grazing and limited revenue generation through logging. The representatives described the advisory committee that will be tasked with developing the forest plan. All interested parties are asked to submit applications if they want to be considered (the reps warned that the committee will be a BIG time commitment). They emphasized that the forest plan will be a transparent public process and that input from all stakeholder groups will be considered but that the final plan must fit within the framework of the Yakima Basin Integrated Water Management Plan.

At this point in the meeting the plan was for DNR and WDFW staff to man four "listening stations" where questions could be asked and input from participants could be recorded for future consideration.

Before that could happen a gentleman (I did not catch his name) who had apparently worked for a long time on creating the community forest stood up and stated that he had a few questions for the DNR and WDFW that he thought everyone in the room should hear. His questions involved proposed uses of the forest, who was going to be on the advisory committee and how the committee would be selected. I think it was safe to say that he was skeptical of the transparency claims, distrustful of the proposed process and thought that the DNR and WDFW had already made many of the decisions and were just going through the public process because they had to.

Once the listening stations were up and going I stopped in, asked a couple of questions and listened to some of the other questions being asked and the discussions that followed. Most questions involved specific uses of the property and the answer I heard most often from staff was "we just don't know yet" or "it will be up to the committee working with staff to figure that out".

While the meeting was interesting, there was not a lot of substance around how mountain biking will or will not be impacted and what our future opportunities are. The details will be decided by the Advisory Committee and by the specific sub-committees that will also form to help the advisory committee do their work. We will all need to stay engaged, vigilant and make sure that our voices are heard.

You can read more about the Teanaway Community Forest here.

There is also now a link up to apply for the Advisory Committee. I'm going to go ahead and apply, but it looks like it will be super competitive (and likely political) to be selected and I don't expect much. I'll also try to get onto a recreational sub-committee as a fallback.
    Last edited by woodway; 01-17-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    ....There is also now a link up to apply for the Advisory Committee. I'm going to go ahead and apply, but it looks like it will be super competitive (and likely political) to be selected and I don't expect much. I'll also try to get onto a recreational sub-committee as a fallback.
    THANK YOU for even applying to take this on. We will certainly need a voice, and given that I can't even keep up with the laundry at home that person is clearly not me. I will, however, bring booze by your place as/when needed to keep you going should you wind up part of it all (it's a service I have also provided warmonkey when he's been ready to tear his hair out with the local sausage-making).
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What Verslo said.... Thanks Woodway and everyone else that could make it. I have a feeling I may have to "no-limit" this year's May in the 'way just to allow more to see what a great and unique opportunity this can be for mountain bikers. I hear there is no Discover pass required this year which is sort of a bummer since I think it would likely change the dynamic for the camping "experience".

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Huge THANK YOU to everyone who attended and to Woodway for his willingness to throw his hat in the ring. Hopefully if enough riders apply, one will make it on the advisory committee.

Woodway, if you haven't already, please do get in touch with Glenn and let him know you're applying glenn (at) evergreenmtb.org. I believe he has some pertinent info to share with interested applicants.
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey folks, I have been involved in the acquisition of the Teanaway and I am thrilled that this 50,000 acre parcel is now in public ownership. Now, its up to all citizens who care about the property to get involved and do everything they can to ensure that the property is managed appropriately. The property's primary purpose is conservation. It was logged very hard and open range grazing practices have caused all kinds of water quality problems. The Teanaway River could and should be a huge salmon producer and future uses of the property should be carefully managed to ensure consistency with salmon restoration.

But, all that said, the Teanaway has absolutely amazing recreational potential. It could easily equal the best riding experiences in the western US. I strongly suggest that we push land managers to visit Bend, Oregon and see first hand how a world class trail system can be created and maintained to avoid use conflict and environmental damage. A system that separates motorized from non-motorized and dedicates certain trails to certain uses. And hopefully, we can develop a dedicated, trail making crew that knows how to build and maintain excellent mountain bike trails. There's enough room out there, especially with the adjoining forest service lands to build not only the best mountain bike trail system in the state, but one of the best in the country.

We will need to work with other interests and respect the conservation priority, but that should be easy. Let's do this right and get ready to enjoy some awesome riding in some beautiful country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    While your last name is susupicious your message is good. Question for you - why do the trails in this area need to be separated for moto/non-moto?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I also was suspicious and actually checked Jay's 2 other posts in the last 6 years on mtbr. (Sorry jay..) But, both were good comments about awesome bikes. "Conservation as a priority" will always make MTBrs on edge. I have not seen a huge sediment issue in the past 25 years going there despite indeed a lot of logging, especially in the past 6-7 years and the small seasonal free range herd of cattle doesn't seem to be doing that much damage. Is there a push to stop the cattle movement? yeah, Cle Elum/Roslyn could be the next Bend but I don't ever see that happening with the vocal locals not wanting any wet side money. The booming Suncadia business would verify that. Either way, grandfathering in the vast array of trails and overgrown doubletracks would be a good start. But, Bend isn't really a good model because there is ample water in the 'way that there isn't in the Phil's trails section for example, which effectively keeps the equestrians out anyways. The local bikers, hikers, hunters, moto peeps and equestrians seem to all get along pretty well already in the valley so I don't see any reason to divide and conquer.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I assume you are the ex-state ecology director Jay Manning? Great work on the Teanaway Community Forest.

If all parties can approach the conservation vs. recreation balance with an open mind something extraordinary can happen. Past history has had Mountain Bikers shut out of these types of conversations. I know that Glenn/Evergreen are engaged in this process and we are hopeful that something great will result.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes, I am that Jay Manning. I'm an avid mountain biker, a proud owner of a new 27.5 Turner Burner (its so awesome) and a lover of the Teanaway too. I'm confident that all users can continue to work together and get along. I really believe the "conservation first" approach should have very little impact on mountain biking. As long as we are careful about stream crossings and erosion (to which we contribute very little), we should be fine.

I am an advocate for separating motorized from non motorized where there is room to do it. I ride Capital Forest a lot and the trails have now been separated. It has worked well for us mountain bikers, as our trails are less muddy and in better overall shape. I think we have room in the Teanaway to separate the systems, but I'm not dogmatic about it.

I'm so excited about what's possible up there. The low gradient in the lower basin should make for some super flowy trails. And the scenery just can't be beat.

Glenn and Evergreen are indeed involved. I am meeting with Glenn on Monday to discuss this great opportunity. I will do everything I can to make sure that we have a seat at the table and that our interests are taken seriously.

I may have a "suspicious name", but I hope we all get a chance to ride the Teanaway together on great trails and then head down to a booming Cle Elum for a cold one.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jay manning View Post
    I may have a "suspicious name", but I hope we all get a chance to ride the Teanaway together on great trails and then head down to a booming Cle Elum for a cold one.
    It's only suspicious because it's close to "Peyton".

Agree with all your points regarding the forest.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've thought about changing my name several times over the last several weeks.

GO HAWKS!

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    It's only suspicious because it's close to "Peyton".

Agree with all your points regarding the forest.
    That one never occurred to me, I was thinking "harvey".

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    That one never occurred to me, I was thinking "harvey".
    Come on Anthony, on Super Bowl Sunday?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Woodway, I was thinking Harvey all along too. Don't know who that other Manning is....