mtbr member

The Lumberyard - Indoor bike park in Portland - ride report/review

We were getting tired of wet weather riding so 5 of us took a trip to "The Lumberyard" in Portland to see what indoor riding was all about.

None of us had every rode a dirt jump bike and we aren't big into pumptracks or jumps so we didn't have high expectations when we arrived. We were hoping to get 3 or 4 hours of decent entertainment and mark it off our "places we have ridden" list.

Since we all have 5-6" travel trailbikes, we all decided to rent. It was a smart move. They have a bunch of bikes and you can switch between them if you want. I stuck with a KHS dirtjump bike, and I brought my SPD pedals because I prefer to be clipped in. I now understand why dirt jump bikes are so heavy and solid, they take a beating!

The Lumberyard's riding area was a lot smaller than I expected, with 4 main areas: A small jumpline, a big jumpline, a wooden pumptrack and an "XC" course that loops thru the area. My first thought was "2 hours and I'll be bored". After a few laps thru the pumptrack and both jumplines and all those thoughts went out the window. I wasnt going to leave when I got bored, I was going to leave when I was too tired ride!

Riding wood ramps is intimidating as first, but once you learn to trust the tires you can rail turns harder then you ever could on dirt. It was a lot of fun. The small jumpline got boring quickly, but the big jumpline held our interest all day. We spend a majority of our time there. Learning to get the line correct and clear the tables was very challenging and riding with 4 friends added to the experience. Seeing who could clear something first and trying to one up each other was really cool.

While there we also did several laps on the XC course which was well laid out for the limited space and had some fun challenges. The Pumptrack was also great fun to ride and we played in it several times throughout our time there. I think I enjoyed it more than any dirt pumptrack I've rode!

Another great feature of the park was the "Pub". It was nice to take a break and enjoyed a cold one while watching and cheering on our buddies on the big jumpline.

After 3.5 hours of riding we were all dead tired and had way more fun and got way more of a workout than I would have ever guessed! Overall it was well worth the drive from Seattle and even though my group is a bunch of mid 30s trail riders we had all had a great time and plan on going back again!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

I5Troll
    Great RR! Thanks! We go down south through Portlandia quite a bit (Julie's parents live in Mt Angel) and I've been tempted to stop by the 'Yard. But this weekend we checked out Silver Falls on Sun and Stub Stewart State Park on Mon instead. Maybe next time... After I heal a little more.

mtbr member
    If you go I highly recommend renting a bike. Any full suspension is overkill, and it would be easy to destroy a regular wheelset.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    What were rental and riding prices like?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Pricing/Hours - LUMBERYARD MTB

It's normally $30 for admission and $10 for bike rental and $5 for pad rental. You can do a group thing that saves a bunch of money though. I bought a 5 person "party pack" at the Evergreen Winter Stoke party/silent auction, so it was only $24 per person for admission/rentals and a private table. Well worth it.

Next time I go I'll do a group thing again. It saves a bunch of money.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member

Re: The Lumberyard - Indoor bike park in Portland - ride report/review

Man, I really thought you were gonna come back thinking it was a bit of a joke, not worth the trip. I'm inspired! I did not seed that coming!
    Now I want to go down there and check it out! Did you get any video? I know what you guys like and I totally trust your judgment! I'm only worried about my cardio, but that's getting better and better.

Thanks for the report!

Jeff

mtbr member
    I was surprised by how much fun we all had. I had my gopro but the copy protection tab snapped off when I was putting it in the camera and it was stuck in "locked" mode. I later found out a piece of tape over the open would have fixed it. I was pretty disappointed I didnt get any footage, but that just means I'll have to go back again!

One of my buddies broke his hand at Duthie a few weeks ago, so once he is able to ride and jump again we will be going back. Probably in April, and I'll try to get a group together so we can all save money.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    I just spent about two hours there this afternoon. I've been working in Portland quite a bit lately and for some reason until I read this RR It never even occurred to me to check it out. I had read about it on PB when it opened last spring. Its pretty cool. Like mentioned above in the OP I've never really liked pump tracks either but the one there is a blast. It must be riding a dirt jumper that does it, because 6" of squish makes them kinda lame when you don't really know how to ride them. The beginner jump line was pretty fun and the advanced one was a little too big for my limited time riding them but its all roll-able and was still fun to try out. Might have to go back Thursday!
    Its pretty cool how they have the bar right out side the bigger features too so you can watch all the rippers killing it on BMX's while drinking a beer and having something to eat.
    One of the employees was even telling me how they've plans to open one up in our neck of the woods all though they don't really have a time frame yet.
    I doubt I would drive 3 hours to check it out but if your in the area or live a ways south of Seattle it's definitely worth it and a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    They had hourly rates now which I think was 10$ for the first hour and after the first hour 2.50$ each 15 minutes up to 25$ which is all day and it wouldn't go past that price. I cant remember what the bike rental was but I think I only spent 28 or 29$ for the rental and almost two hours of riding.
    The renting was great, they had Santa Cruz Jackals, Deity DJ bikes, Haro's, Giants, and KHS DJ bikes as well as both kids size and adult size BMX's to choose from. Just go to the rack and grab whatever and repeat as needed. pretty cool way to try out a variety of frames which was great considering I've never ridden a DJ bike before. I really liked the Deity.