mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Looking for rides east of Chinook Pass

I rode Little Bald Mtn earlier this week for the first time and was stoked about the area. Dry eastside conditions but much closer to me than going up to Devil's Gulch and other rides around Wenatche.

So, I have been researching to find out about other big rides in the area (specifically, the area along the Naches River between Chinook Pass and the town of Naches) but have not found much yet. http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/confused.gif Anyone have local knowledge that you can share? I have the desire to explore as much as possible there before the snows come.

Please fill me in!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Head up to the Little Naches area. You'll find Quartz Creek, Fife's Ridge, Raven's Roost and a few others there. Zilly's book outlines most of these. These are moto trails too, so they're a little rutted out this time a year but still pretty fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    cool, thanks for the feedback. Makes sense to just get the book, which is now on my short list. Cheers, Timmy

squish is good
    There is a trail that is not easily accessed that is one of my favorite shuttle runs on the planet right across the street from the Little Bald Mt. access road. I can't remember the name of the road but the trail is Milk Creek trail if you can find a map that will show it, I'm pretty sure the green trails maps have it. You can ride up the road if there is no shuttle but the directions are a little convoluted, not sure I could get you to the top by writing it... If you'd like to give it a shot I can see if I can make it down there to show you but you'd need to give me a couple days to organize it as I'm working weekends. I'm sure it's gonna be getting snow at the top soon though. As far as I know there is only a group of about 15 or so bike guys who use it and the occasional hiker, it's not a commonly used bike trail but it is one of the best rides on the 410 route.
    Bike good, work bad.

Paper Street
    Which Green Trails mapsheet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Clutchman, thanks for the tip. There are two of us planning to ride somewhere out that way on Wednesday of this week. We would be up for riding up instead of shuttling and would be stoked to have you show us the route. Let me know if Weds works for you, forecast is sunshine.

NW MTBER
    Clutchman~Is it Bad Mt.? Across the street from Little Baldy? Thanks.
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

squish is good
    Okay, can't remember which green trails map it is, I only looked at a friend of mines copy once but I believe the road's name is Milk Lake Rd. It should be immediately across from the Halfway flat campground on the left if you are heading eastbound on 410. I'm looking at an ORV map right now to try and figure out directions. If you go up that road it will hit a fork at Milk Pond and there is a parking area, this is where I would leave the car if you are climbing. Head up the left fork which should be FS road 1708000 according to my map. It will switchback a bunch of times over about 2 miles before you will start to come to some big dirt piles in the road. I believe this is intended to be a 4x4 route only so a local club set up some obstacles to keep regular cars out. You will also pass a few big washouts where landslides took the road out but there are cutouts to allow traffic to go through. Now this is when my directions get a little sketchy, there are a bunch of logging roads that branch off and you need to find the right one, I think it is the second road on the right but I'm not super certain, could be the first, I haven't been up there in about a year. What you want to do is find Milk Lake at the top. There is a spot where people camp and the trail starts right there on the right hand side going across the creek that runs out of the lake. It's a little tricky to find so you might need to look around a little. The trail goes about 50 yards through the forest and then climbs really steep for a short 20 foot gain and then dives down the hill into what we like to call "the bowl". You'll know your at the right place if you find that. The best part of the trail IMO is about halfway down you start riding across landslide deposits, you can see the spot on the hill above where they came down from and it must have been a huge slide! You will pop out onto a dirt road, just hang a right and follow the road back to the car. The trail is only about 5 miles long but it is very steep in sections and makes for a really fun ride. It's not an epic which is why we usually shuttle it 5 or 6 times when we go out there but I've ridden it twice in a day pedaling before and really enjoyed it that way too.

I'm not sure I'll be able to make it on Wednesday, I have all my classes and I'm supposed to work from 6pm till late, plus I need a ride because my car is out of commission right now. I'll try and post a ghetto paint map I made later, my internet is acting up and I can't get into any of my online photo accounts for some reason.
    Last edited by Clutchman83; 10-21-2008 at 10:36 AM.
    Bike good, work bad.

squish is good
    Here's the ghett-o map for y'all.

Bike good, work bad.

NW MTBER
    Does anybody ride or have you ridden the Crow Creek loop as described in the Zilly book? Worth doing?
    How about West Quartz Creek and Fifes Ridge? Is there a reason why you wouldn't loop these 2 trails? Most of the books talk about one or the other or they say to ride the road up twice and drop both individually. I assume it might not be very rideable going up Quartz Creek? Anyone with some local knowledge of the area want to chime in? Maybe there are better trails in the immediate area (besides Little Baldy)? Thanks.
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You wouldn't want to ride up either of these. Fairly loose, steep and rutted in many places. Enjoy the mellow fire road up (twice) and do them both. Quartz creek is a quick ride. You may have to ford the creek in one spot...the bridge was out a month or two ago. Raven's Roost is good if you want a longer ride. Again, fire road up and single track down. Have fun and don't forget to don some blaze orange--wouldn't want to be mistaken for a deer!