mtbr member

Looking for help planning a San Juan Islands bike tour

I am bringing my family up to Washington State and want to plan a San Juan Islands bike tour. We plan to carry clothes and gear, (panniers for me and my wife, and light packs for the kids. I will be the main mule) but do not plan to carry tents and camp, but rather stay in hostels/inns that are economical. I have a line on a couple on Orcas, one near East Sound and one up near Moran State park and Olga. Will access Orcas from Anacortes via ferry, then cycle to East Sound that first day, then over to Moran and Doe Bay the next day, then back to catch the ferry over somewhere else the next day. At least that is the plan at this point unless a better one comes up. Looking for something on Lopez, and any other ideas.

Anyone have any experience or advice to share?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Things fill fast, secure your reservations and enjoy the ride. Some friends and I did something similar 25 yrs ago. We were camping and no space available, so we had to be sneaky and put our sleeping bag down in some sketchy places. Good fun.

mtbr member

Looking for help planning a San Juan Islands bike tour

Okay I am revising the plan already. I plan on taking the ferry from Anacortes then doing a day tour of Lopez Island concluding with a ferry ride over to Friday Harbor to stay that night and the next night in Friday Harbor, with a day trip on that island during the next day. Then over to Orcas Island and Eastsound for a day or so, then back on the ferry to Anacortes. Any leads on good inexpensive places for a family of five on bikes to stay would be appreciated.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 05-12-2014 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    I rented a house out in July. I am wondering if people can suggest the "most ride trails" in the area.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How old are your kids? Lopez, San Juan & Shaw are best for small kids. Would strongly suggest September if you can do it. Trail in Moran are closed to bikes in the summer.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    16, 14, and 11. Strong kids, on the nordic ski team. This is our only window of time this year, though September would be great otherwise. The cycling will be on the road this time, and we may duck into Moran on one of the days of our stay on Orcas, but would likely just ride the park roads. and yeah, I was planning a warm up day on Lopez, then some cycling from Friday Harbor on San Juan, then the third day over to Orcas and the 9 mile trip into East Sound, then maybe a trip over to Moran, maybe not. Depending on how we are all feeling at that point. Even if hilly, I think the kids can handle the 9 mile in to Eastsound from the Orcas ferry dock, plus maybe some more biking or poking around. Or once there, we may just beach it and not worry about Moran this time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Lopez Hill has a great trail network, fun with decent elevation gain, tight and twisty, moderately techy in spots. It's just shy of 400 acres so you can spend a good chunk of a day playing with different combo's and directions of the loops. I've stayed at Lopez Farm Cottages a few times, clean and nice. They're also across the street from a winery

mtbr member
    Ok, dialed in a couple spots. Golden Tree Hostel on Orcas (Eastsound) for a couple days, then this place in Friday harbor. The Cabin ? Juniper Lane Guest House

I looked at and was tempted by Doe Bay (and did find a suitable cabin available) but thought with it being our first real unsupported bike tour that requiring cycling all the way around the island to get there, it being the most hilly island, and them remote from town, was too aggressive a move for this family trip. Here is the place we chose on Orcas in Eastsound. the proprietor is a nice guy, and they have a new room coming online that will suit us just fine. Golden Tree hostel is a budget hotel accommodation with affordable rooms on orcas island.

I wanted to do it in reverse with warm up cycling on Lopez concluding in Friday Harbor, then Orcas after that. But the accommodation dates did not match up so we are going in reverse. But the first day into Eastsound on Orcas won't be too bad, and the hills over toward Moran will be option for our family trip. Again, the kids are 16, 14, and 11 so I want to have a fun exploration of the islands, but not burn them out on too long a trudge. We will want time to explore the beach and etc. too. We plan on a sea kayak trip also. Looking forward to it!

EDIT: FYI, Lopez Cottages and Glamping is not family friendly if you have younger kids, and their accommodations, though very nice looking, will not hold our family of 5.