mtbr member
    Apr 2010

looking for beacon hill info?

I was thinking of riding beacon hill on saturday. but i have never been there. How do you get there? also is there anywhere where you can get a trail map?

thanks
    tim

mtbr member
    You can start from Camp Sekani which is at 6707 E Upriver Dr or at the Esmeralda Golf course. Mountain Gear has trail maps and I have trail maps at Sekani as well. I'll be working on the Rabid Rabbit on Saturday (the singletrack just above the dirt jumps in Sekani) so feel free to say hi.

-Peter

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks for the info. I will say hi

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Im gonna try and hit beacon tomorrow. I used to ride it daily about 14 years ago but I know its WAY different now. The last time I was up there was about 2002 and it was way different from 1998. I used to ride up on that road right by the park just south of esmeralda, i think it was an avista road..?? Cant wait to see whats up there. hopefully I can find some cool new trails.

mtbr member
    Nice. I started riding Beacon around 97. There's lots more singletrack options now. Since 2009 we've built 7 new trails which I'm going to GPS soon. If you get a chance, you should check out the Rabid Rabbit. I just finished re-routing a large section of the Rabid Rabbit which is pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    thanks Peter. Ill try and find it.

Wow! Beacon is awesome.. Can't believe the changes. It's like an official trail system now.. Fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Dude!! Peter,, I went back up to beacon again this afternoon with a buddy and we found Rabbid Rabbit.. Holy Smokes, It was fricken awesome.. Hopefully I can remember how to find it again. We ended up right at the start of it I believe.. where the marker/sign is.

Also hit the "Hollywood" section.. It was mental.. of course I bump checked the top of every tranny but more practice is in store..
    Last edited by Dirk77; 04-13-2013 at 09:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Awesome! I wish the first part of the new section of Rabid Rabbit with the grade reversals that can be jumped or pumped could go on and on and on. Luckily we have more trails planned at Beacon! Hollywood is pretty sweet too, we're going to eventually extend it so it starts up near the top and we're also going to build a new trail that's similar to Hollywood.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by indiemtbkr View Post
    Awesome! I wish the first part of the new section of Rabid Rabbit with the grade reversals that can be jumped or pumped could go on and on and on. Luckily we have more trails planned at Beacon! Hollywood is pretty sweet too, we're going to eventually extend it so it starts up near the top and we're also going to build a new trail that's similar to Hollywood.
    Sweet! Cant wait.. Let me know when the work party's are. I just got back from beacon and I was bummed, I zig'd when I should have zag'd and missed the Rabbid Rabbit.. I came out below it and was too lazy to climb back up, because I had came up over by Ezy's golf course. but I know where I should have zag'd..

sorry to hijack Tim

mtbr member
    Our next trail workday is on May 11 at 10AM. We're meeting at Shields park (where the climbing rocks are) and hiking most of the way up the hill from there. We're building a new climbing trail in some rocky terrain.

To stay up to date with all our trail workdays and other events follow us on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/evergreeneastMTB

You can also stay up to date with our newsletter if you become a new member : Become a Member

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Spent the weekend in Spokane going back and forth between "Get Lit" and Beacon. What a hoot! Beacon has changed a lot since the days of the WIM Series races. Nice work! I found Rapid Rabbit today and had to quit after my second time through- the grin on my face was starting to hurt

indiemtbkr- PM me. I'm involved in a similar project and would like to get your take on the RTCAP-NPS involvement in the Beacon project

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by warmonkey View Post
    Spent the weekend in Spokane going back and forth between "Get Lit"
    Glad you went to Get Lit! I was the graphic designer for them, hope you had fun.

I just rode beacon for the first time, we started at the parking lot by the dam (the one with the portapotties), and hiked up to the towers. Came down the same way, it was really fun. Plan on going again in a few days to scout out more runs, had no idea where we were half the time lol.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by wain View Post

I just rode beacon for the first time, we started at the parking lot by the dam (the one with the portapotties), and hiked up to the towers. Came down the same way, it was really fun. Plan on going again in a few days to scout out more runs, had no idea where we were half the time lol.
    From where you started (Shields Park) there is a maze of hiking trails so it can be challenging to find the best route if you've never ridden here. We'd like to improve this area and make a better climbing route but it may be a while before we're able to make that happen. I'd recommend starting at the Esmeralda Golf course or Camp Sekani in the meantime.

I'm not sure when we'll be done developing the network at Beacon but it will be pretty awesome when we are finished. More DH, Freeride and XC trails are planned!

warmonkey - I sent you a PM

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    We rode up from the Golf Course and came down on the single track, it was the end of the day and we were drop dead tired but still had a good time.

Planning on starting from Sekani this weekend, whats the best way to get to the camp?

mtbr member
    To get to Camp Sekani, just head east on Upriver Dr. It's about a mile from the dam and there is a speed limit sign near the entrance. If you're starting at Camp Sekani the best trail to begin on is Upchuck (the singletrack begins just on the other side of the gate).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    A friend said to check out a trail called the zipper out by the towers. Which one is that?

mtbr member
    The start of the Zipper is hard to find. It starts below the towers on the south facing slope. It is the most technical trail at Beacon. If you like lots of steep gnarly rock drops then you will like the Zipper.