I5Troll

Long Message: A little Duthie History + New Milestone

On 11/21/2008 I received an email titled "The Model to Follow for Duthie" containing only the names of a few trails in Bend and a link to this video:

AllRide Edit of Whoops Trail in Bend, Or from Kirt Voreis on Vimeo.

The formation of the Duthie Oversight Committee in April'08, the Duthie survey in May, the BBTC on-site VIP meeting in June and tons of research set the Duthie project charter and high level objectives in motion. But that video really allowed us to communicate how Duthie was going to be different than the existing local trails at that time.

How did I get onto this topic?

I was digging through old email folders to count how many sponsored work parties like this Modus/Fox/Shimano/Contour series we've had at Duthie. Over 20. The 1st was REI on 9/27/2008 to clear & brush Bootcamp and the ol' River Runs Through It trail (now the site of Deuces Wild). ~50 people showed up. REI gave out some food, drinks and those awesome red "get dirty" volunteer shirts. Schweeeet. Since then we've had Seattle Works, IMBA, Project529, Microsoft, Starbucks, PopCap, Pacific Bikes, United Way, Diamondback, Indiana Univ, Gerk's and many others! Huge thanks for your support!

One particular email chain caught my eye. Shortly after that first REI WP, one of the attending volunteers starting scouting around and flagging an area for another Duthie trail. Shortly after that I received the video link. BTW, Skooks, you were on the distribution list for that email.

It took almost 6 months from that first REI WP before we got the OK to start benching trail! The first real shovels in the dirt were on Bootcamp's first climbing switchbacks in March. Goal: make 'em easy enough for absolute beginners to pedal through. The next big sponsored WP was in Apr 2009 – REI again -- back on Bootcamp to bench the line the last WP cleared.

Well, tomorrow marks another milestone in Duthie's history. That's the last official day we're allowed to build new trail or new features. There's still some frantic last minute building going on but by Monday we'll have only a few exceptions (will follow up)!

April & May are for Green-up, Tune-up, Fix-up, Clean-up, Open-up and Pack-up!!

*Open up the trails and let the traffic tell us if we need to make any adjustments.
    *Transplant transplant transplant. The next 2 weeks are key for ferns... them fiddle-heads are ready to pop! We've had 200 ferns delivered from King County's plant salvage program.
    *Dial in those berms, lips & landings.
    *Fix drainage problems, pot-holes, brake bumps, flow-killers, erosion spots (still a LOT of work to do here -- will lap all the XC trails).
    *Spread organics, logs, branches, etc beside trails, jumps and features to promote re-vegetation… those rotting log stacks look nasty, but organic matter next to them will green up fast!
    *Clean-up – pick up scrap lumber, garbage, tools, flags, etc.
    *Final clearing landscaping and construction.
    *Signage.

Then June 9 is the Evergreen Mt Bike Festival: Evergreen MTB Calendar

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    This may be a dumb question but why does all new trail building have to stop?
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice work Mr. Westra!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Curler View Post
    There's only 120 acres so we're about out of room. Besides we have other projects like Tiger and Hansen ridge.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Curler View Post
    Building a skills building park is in fact acts like a real bona-fide construction job. When you see a big building go up you will see a big general contractor like Turner hang their signs and put their job shacks all over the work site, cranes, etc with their own keys and locks. They effectively temporarily take ownership of the work site in order to do construction.

This would be the role that Evergreen is implementing. With major differences in that Evergreen is a not-for-profit. So King County says yah let's build a mt. bike park, we'll pay you such and such to do it paid with park grants. Evergreen you can also do more fundraising to get more done at the park etc.

Now usually in a real world construction scenario, Turner is going to hire skilled labor through sub-contractors. Crazy amount of machinery, logistics, engineering, AND they are looking to turn a profit. Lot's of money goin on here.

Evergreen is a non-profit but are working on a really small budget. So they hire staff paid by the grant and work to bring in volunteers which would act like sub-contractors in a real world scenario. They will also buy build materials and tools to get the job done.

Now volunteers who own larger projects bring in builders-friends-or go back to Evergreen and try to recruit more help through the resources Evergreen provides. The collective groups have a certain amount of creative control which is key to motivation, after all there is absolutely no money to be made. In fact it personally costs volunteers alot of money and time.

So during this time there are goals of what the park is going to look like. So goals and standards are set through this. One of the goals that was set was the talk of flowy trails.

Just like any construction, the job has to be finished so the original owner can start moving forward with full responsibility. That's why i've said before, Duthie Hill Park has never officially been a completed park, it's just always been a park that's been open during construction. So now soon the keys are going to get handed back over from Evergreen to King County.

Does that mean Evergreen goes away? No, Evergreen and the volunteer/builders will retain a new stewardship role. Which in construction would be like a maintenance role. To keep what was created in good shape will take alot of work in the future. There are already alot of trails, so there will still be a TON of work to just keep the existing trails dialed.

This is a simplified version of how this whole thing works. There are other layers and reasons, but i hope this version works for ya?
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well put. I know I had pretty much forgotten that King County was the owner of Duthie!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    There's only 120 acres so we're about out of room. Besides we have other projects like Tiger and Hansen ridge.
    Has there been any thought (I am sure there has) to expanding the size of the park. Please note the blue (#1) and puke green colors (#3a, b, c) are currently undeveloped.

Are these zoned residential. I was driving up that area, and there was a sign that said 'cleveland forest' or something. I forget the name, but it was down on IFC rd.

PS: feel free to ph34r my paint skilz
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    Has there been any thought (I am sure there has) to expanding the size of the park. Please note the blue (#1) and puke green colors (#3a, b, c) are currently undeveloped.
    The owner of the blue land (I think its a pension fund for the Seattle Teachers) was approached regarding that subject. They were not interested in a sale/transfer to KC.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    Between me, you, the tree, and the intrawebbe. We are damn lucky to have gotten Duthie, damn lucky to have gotten done what we were able to at Duthie, and you probably will never see it replicated in the near future.

What i'm trying to say is Duthie was the perfect storm, alot of things had to go right to get what we got.

Me personally i look at Colonnade and think there is more that could be done, more that should be done there. i look at Duthie, the cloverleaf design, the future parking, what exists, and i say, enough. More would not be better.

And even if myself and many others didn't feel that way, there is no chance Duthie is going to expand in the foreseeable future. But yah it's cooked, soon ready to pop out of the oven, ding!

Done.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Last word is all yours...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    i look at Duthie, the cloverleaf design, the future parking, what exists, and i say, enough. More would not be better.
    ^^^ This.

There are so many other possibilities to pursue that are well-timed following the success of Duthie.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Henry's Ridge another KC Park

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    And we have Henry's Ridge with 360 (plus) acres to complete for King County and Black Diamond Natural Area too! Plenty of trails to build for those who want to build.

I5Troll
    Both of the parcels to the east of Duthie (blue and first green) are managed by Seattle Public Schools and make up the Cleveland Memorial Forest. We tried to work with them at the very beginning to expand Duthie's trails, but they would like to minimize public use and keep the forest as a memorial and for their own events and activities only. See: cle_for_history.

The green parcels to the far east are King County Parks and the Cascade Land Conservancy. KC Parks has approached Seattle Schools in the past about co-managing all of that land for public use, but they're not interested. See the bottom of: cle_for_history.

I5Troll
    Summarizing...

New trails at South Fork Snoqualmie (Hansen Ridge), Tiger Mt, Henry's Ridge, Black Diamond Natural Area, and I hear Paradise and Tolt, too... all in the works.

Potential in the future at: Lord Hill, Raging River, Snoqualmie Recreation Corridor, Swan Creek (Tacoma), Reiter Recreation Area, others.

Lots of trail maintenance to do in the backcountry and frontcountry this summer and beyond.

Duthie has reached maximum trail density. Even though there still is quite a bit of open space to the east of Deuces Wild, inside Braveheart and on the east side near Gravy Train and the StepItUp extension... most agree that more would not be better at Duthie.

All of that says it's time to Green-up, Tune-up, Fix-up, Clean-up, Open-up and Pack-up at Duthie. As Skooks says, though, we won't pack-up entirely... Evergreen will be leading ongoing maintenance.

mtbr member
    I agree that the trails are pretty perfect. The jump trails are close together as they should be, and the XC trails are more sparse, as it should be.
    PS: Mike check your evergreen email when you get a chance. (RE: parking)
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~