mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Long Distance Rail Trails?

Hey Guys,
    I'm looking for some long rail trail type rides for training purposes. Does anybody know of any good ones in the area? I've read a little about the John Wayne Trail but the internet tells me that a lot of the tunnels have been closed on that route. Any bikepacking routes that you recommend in washington are welcome also!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Define long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm looking for 50 plus miles. My goal is to eventually tour the great divide route when I finish school.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    John Wayne /Iron Horse trail, or find the route for The Thrilla and do loops

mtbr member
    Snoquahmie valley trail,
    http://www.duvallwa.gov/appsformspub...eyTrailMap.pdf
    It connects to the John wayne and with a couple of miles of road to the thriller.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sweet those all sound perfect! Thanks for the info guys. I pulled my kissing the trail guide off the shelf but I wasn't sure if any of them were still in commission or not.

JRA
    mtbr member
    Depending on where you start, you can use the Tolt Pipeline - Sammamish River Trail - Snoqualmie Valley Trail - East Lake Samammish Trail to connect various local riding spots like Thrilla, Cherry Valley, Moss Lake, Tolt, Tokul, Soaring Eagle, Duthie, Grand Ridge.

For instance, starting at Woodinville, ride SRT to Tolt Pipeline to SVT (small bit of road) to Tolt. Do a lap thru Tolt then return and it's easy to put in a 50 mile day.

I rode cross-state (Kennewick to Seattle) in 1998 using the John Wayne (aka Iron Horse) and other rail trails. I've heard the tunnels east of Ellensburg on the John Wayne are closed. I also rode much of the rail trail between Cheney & Ice Harbor Dam near Pasco.

A friend used the John Wayne to ride over to do the Kachess Trail. He did it as an overnighter. Quite a few options available.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by galbraithrider View Post
    I've read a little about the John Wayne Trail but the internet tells me that a lot of the tunnels have been closed on that route.
    The Snoqualmie Tunnel at the pass is open. The two tunnels between the pass and Easton are signed closed, but there are detours provided. The two tunnels in the upper canyon between Cle Elum and Thorp are also signed closed but not blocked off (at least they were not last summer when I was there). Of course they are closed so I would never ride through them. Never.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    The Snoqualmie Tunnel at the pass is open. The two tunnels between the pass and Easton are signed closed, but there are detours provided. The two tunnels in the upper canyon between Cle Elum and Thorp are also signed closed but not blocked off (at least they were not last summer when I was there). Of course they are closed so I would never ride through them. Never.
    I've also heard that the Boyleston tunnel is closed. It's not hard to improvise around that one if need be - there is a road over the top. The army might not be very happy with you, but that is another story. The stretch of trail from the Renslow trestle (just east of Kittitas) down to the Columbia is a nice downhill ride which can get you warmed up to ride back on the Vantage highway.

It's easy to tie into Taneum/Teanaway and other areas from the Iron Horse trail. If you had a few days you could ride over, ride around and camp in the Taneum/Cle Elum/Roslyn/Teanaway areas, then ride back. See "Kent's Bike Blog" for examples of such trips and others, starting from Issaquah. Wenas, Naches, Quilomene, Manastash, Table Mountain, you could simulate a week or two of divide riding pretty easily out here.