mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Legit and non-legit trail building in Black Diamond area

A couple of our guys found some unauthorized trail building at Summit Ridge on Saturday as they were flagging phase two of the Exodus face lift. Here is what they sent me.

"We discovered a rogue trail that was recently cut. It starts about where last years Exodus starts to drop and goes straight down the hill. About a 30" wide path. Looks like it was cut recently because there were very few leaves over the fresh dirt. I suspect the builders will be back out sometime soon." Brad

Another guy went and check it out today and sent me this. "I found the "trail" today. No idea what's going in there. I also found new pirate lines cutting right across the xc trails just on the other side of the suspension bridge. Looks like kids. Same crummy stick piles we've seen before."

So, some of you have noticed the new trails on the east side of the suspension bridge on the old Plum Creek land. It is is some teenager from Kent building it and a buddy and I talked to him about a month ago. It is really poor form to build a new trail right across our existing XC trails. I have no idea if the rogue trail near Exodus is the same kid or not but if you hear or see anyone building there please stop and talk with them tell them to stop. I will be glad to meet with them to understand their intentions but we are advocates for legitimate trail building (getting approval from the land owner first).

On the flip side we have two new legit trails at Henry's Ridge:
    1. Back 9 on the north side of Henry's is a new connector trail near Anaconda (Name derived from all the golf balls we found during the build..........)

2. Stinger is a new connector trail below the boulder trail head that connects Viper and Once Upon a Time.

3. We just got permission this week to start a new connector between Route 66 and Master Link on the north side of the RR trails. The Bike Masters race team and the Epic Racing team started roughing it in on Saturday. It will allow a new course for the second BuDu race at Henrys.

mtbr member
    I got info for you, I will shoot you an email.

I cant wait to checkout the new bridge on Stinger. Plowing thru that creek wasn't fun! Has the log skinny on that trail been finished yet?

I also heard the next phase of Exodus is underway!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Work party in our future to repair damage?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mr. CombiTool140, I don't think the rogue builders have done too much yet so don't think we need to fix any damage (I may try to get out and assess this week). But Jim and Brad should be scheduling a work party soon for Phase 2.

Mr. Lynch, the log is rideable if you dare! But, it is just your tires and a big wet slimy log right now....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I decommissioned the short unauthorized section yesterday. We also had a small work party that knocked out the next section of Exodus. Get out and giv'r a ride!!!

mtbr member
    we will head out wednesday night and give it a go!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mr. Lynch, watch out for new blow downs. I rode Henry's after work yesterday and found 3. I was able to clear 2 but a big old rotten pine will need some chainsaw love or a big beaver!!!