Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dude

Leavenworth Area Trail Conditions/Info?

Going to be camping Memorial day weekend out on HW2 - wanted to ride Xanadu or some other trails in the area. Anyone have trail info and conditions on Xanadu? Are things mostly thawed out?

-Joe

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I hit some snow on Chumstick starting around 5200' on northern facing areas, and the summit road to Chumstick at 5700' was still bank to bank snow, but other than that, the stuff east of Leavenworth is wide open.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Been good for a while.... taken weeks ago...

Untitled by emailsucks98, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Those flowers are probably already dead

mtbr member
    I'm heading up there also. Any suggestions besides Fruend, Xanadu, and Lake Wenatchee area?

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteric View Post
    Those flowers are probably already dead
    I ran them over...Enduro Style!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'd be curious to hear about other options as well. What are the lake Wenatchee trails?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dromond View Post
    I'd be curious to hear about other options as well. What are the lake Wenatchee trails?
    I always check out the Wenatchee trail page here: Guide Book: Mountain Biking as it has lots of trails in the area. Look for Chickamin for one. Another place to look is here: Mountain Routes | Bike Leavenworth
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Rode Tres Hombres on May 11th (right next to Xanadu) and it was perfect...almost too dry if you had a big group. Guys in the rear were sucking dust.

Only snow I saw was at Stevens.

mtbr member
    A buddy and I are planning on coming to Leavenworth this weekend to ride, and we definitely want to ride Xanadu. Any other suggestions for a trail we could hit the same day? We like going down more than climbing, so forest road ascents are fine with us.

What about places to camp, any places to avoid or prefer? Thanks!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Eagle Pond may be too mellow for you, but it is more fun for me than Freund is. That could be because it is narrower and slower . It is a road ascent and then a single-track on old roadbed to the entrance of the DH part. There are some other trails further up Chumstick that are steep DH plunge stuff too. I can point you to or send you a map if you want to see where it is.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Sure, any info would be great!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

11worth Conditions

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There is dispersed camping available at the Sand Creek TH which is right near the Devil's Gulch TH (DG is not open though). Lots of great paid spots in Icicle Canyon.

mtbr member
    Thanks very much!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Last weekend in Plain, light rain continued. Chiwawa was nasty, a report from KTM'r. Chikimin and minnow are snowed still. The Wenatchee outdoors site is great for info and the blog for biking. I rode sage on Monday and that was fine till light rain hit. You don't want to do that when it is wet. USFS site showed devils was impassible, and I image that has not changed. Plain, Natipok Mtn, is open, but that is adventure riding and no maps. Find FSR 6602 off river rd and head up. Take a st on the left way up and prepare for fun, and some pushin.

mtbr member
    Thanks very much! Lack of time this week to really plan out something more comprehensive means we're likely doing the more popular and shorter trails it looks like. Xanadu and Freund, maybe the Eagle Creek DH if we have time. Hopefully I can get back on that side of the pass again in the future and explore a bit more.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Tarekith - your lack of planning means it makes a huge amount of sense to stop in at DasRadHaus ask for some localz beta. You never know where they'll send you.

mtbr member
    We were planning on it. Drove past that shop a few times last weekend, wanted to stop and check it out anyway.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Oh, and I think bike n brew is this weeekend so take into consideration dasRadhaus will probably be dasMADhaus. If you're looking for a party I'm told there's beer and bands at the bike race for $12? and free? camping in the meadow.

mtbr member
    Oh I fogot about that, thanks for the reminder!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Then you have to lap Freund and drink a beer every lap.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Yeah, I didn't realize that Freund was where the race was being held. Guess we will have to do it some other time. Hmm, maybe a night ride tonight....
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    $15 will get you in the beer garden after the race. It is always a blast, race Freund, then drink beer at the bottom!

mtbr member
    Made it out there Friday and had set up camp (beautiful sites everywhere btw) so we decided to see what was going on at Freund. Realized the trails was wide open and really not many people were there, so we managed to get in a ride well before it got dark. WOW! I can see how it would get old for the locals, but holy cow is that a fun trail. Screaming downhill, just serious speed for miles. We had perfect dirt for most of it too, tacky but hard and fast. That alone was worth the drive over the pass.

Beautiful scenery with the sun going down too. Actually, everywhere we went was just jaw dropping. First time I've been up where when the sun's out

Got up this AM and hit Xanadu. It was already a bit warm, but the sun and mixed clouds made for a great way to take your mind off the (admittedly relatively easy) climb. Shot of the start of the trail:

Leavenworth Area Trail Conditions/Info?-img0413p.jpg

That trail is just crazy. I mean that in the best way, so many awesome tech sections, and serious drops to both sides for most of it. My buddy almost T-boned a deer that ran across the trail at the worst time, got it on video, I'll post it later. Not used to riding on loose rock like at the start, that was a nice little jolt of adrenaline to start things off! Anyway, really enjoyed this one, and I'd do it again for sure.

Stopped in at Der Rad Hous for my buddy to get some new gloves, chatted with those guys for a bit, then decided to hit Chikimin/Minnow Ridge on the way back to Seattle. Nice little climb and quick twisty descend that reminded us both of the stuff you find in Phil's trails Bend. All in all a great way to spend 24 hours. Mosquitos were some of the worst I've seen since my Wisconsin days though.

I knew that Leavenworth had some nice trails, but I had no idea how MANY really nice trails there are there. Talking to other riders and seeing some good maps of the area now, that's like a playground of trails in relatively huge amount of land. Given how easy and cheap it was to get a camping site close by, I can't wait to spend a lot more time out there.
    Tarekith.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast