mtbr member
    Nov 2007

New question here. Lake Wenatchee / Chikamin Conditions

Thinking of riding Chikamin and/or Minnow Ridge this weekend. Anyone out there have beta on snow and downed-trees conditions on teh 210 road and surrounding trails? The USFS page is pretty low on info right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Two weeks ago Minnow was totally clear, no downed trees all the way out lower Chiwawa to Goose Creek. 6210 was in great shape as well.

mtbr member
    Looks like that area got hammered with rain yesterday though....
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwallace View Post
    Thinking of riding Chikamin and/or Minnow Ridge this weekend. Anyone out there have beta on snow and downed-trees conditions on teh 210 road and surrounding trails? The USFS page is pretty low on info right now.
    Road 6210 was clear all the way to the top and passable by vehicles.

Chikamin tie from end of road to junction with Chikamin Creek and top of Minnow Ride was snow and blowdown free and rolling well with the usual assortment of moto rutted sections and loose waffle pavers.

Chikamin Creek was also rolling well end to end.

Ran into some other riders who did a loop from the Chikamin TH (near base of Minnow Ridge) down to main road, up Rock Creek, to summit of Basalt and then backtrack to basalt saddle and down to top of Minnow Ridge and return to TH via Minnow Ridge. Rock tie trail up to the saddle was very bushy with lots of down trees (sounds similar to last year's conditions). Basalt peak is closed and apparently pretty well burned up and not ready to ride. Basalt trail from saddle to FS 6210 was also brushy with a few downed trees that break up the flow. Minnow ridge was reported as clear.

Also found a bunch of horse trails, volunteer trails on the hill near the xc area near the intersection of chiwawa river and chiwawa loop roads. I think with some exploration, some fun loops could be linked up in there. It would be worth talking to the USFS about making a legit trail system in there. The terrain has a lot to offer and could provide some additional early-season riding in the area.

That's it for conditions as of last weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Minnow Ridge & Chikamin Tie Trails (MTB) | Freeheel Vegan

Here is a link to a trip report from 7-27-13. Too bad about basalt because I think that I have inadvertantly stumbled on to a great loop that includes Basalt...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    Too bad about basalt because I think that I have inadvertantly stumbled on to a great loop that includes Basalt...
    If were looking at maps of that area and noticed there was a way of looping up to the upper end of Basalt from one of the junctions you came upon during this ride you did, that's been done before but not publicized widely because it involves a section that's not technically open to bikes. You can still find a report or two on MTBR from several years back though, if you are curious.

Once Lake Wenatchee RD's upper trail system opens, most people start from Upper Chikamin Tie TH and go deeper into Mad Lake area. If you are into views, Klone Peak would be a nice destination.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the heads up Bruiser. Yes Klone Peak has some nice views.

Klone Peak (MTB) | Freeheel Vegan

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Or loop upper chikamin tie to 1409 through mad lakes/marble meadow and down alder ridge.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bumping this one as I'm looking for any local feedback on the best options.

Leading a small group effort in the Chikamin area Saturday.....and have some questions?

We are contemplating some form of Chikamin trail down, either by going up FS6210, or by combining some form of the basalt peak loop. Is Basalt still closed (fire damage?)

Or we may just get a bit of out and back at the top of Chikamin towards the mad lake area to make the chikamin loop a bit longer.

Is Chikamin moto trail hell this time of year? I read somewhere that Basalt ridge/peak is a non moto trail which put it in our cross hairs but if it's closed???

mtbr member
    Did Basalt Peak last month. It is open. The very top was burned pretty good in last year's fire. We rode it clockwise and took the most direct trail back down. I have two recommendations...
    1. We parked at the Trailhead at the bottom of the descent (Finner Creek). I'd park a little lower where the road towards Klone peak is (6210). I'd also take the road up to the trail (Rock Creek Trail). The trail that parallels the road was very overgrown.

2. I'd go down the back side of Basalt down to the road (trail 1530), climb up a couple miles and take either Trail 1524 or 1534 down. Your car should be close to where those 2 trails rejoin.

Obviously, looking at a map will help!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Slop I follow what you are saying exactly. I am thinking pretty hard about your number two option except that rather than coming down 1530, I was thinking go up and over Basalt and hit that 1539 down to the FS6210 area for the chikamin trails. You ever done that?

FS website is also showing that 1561 Chikamin Tie ORV trail is closed. Seems like people have been riding that this year so I'm confused. This trail being opened or closed is really critical to my trip ideas.....

mtbr member
    We went down the top part of 1539 and hung a right down to the road. The top part goes back and forth through the burn zone...dry, lots of small ruts from the water going across the trail. Just looks like going the other way (1530) might be outside the burn area and funner. I'd still go to the top of Basalt.
    I'd call the FS and ask about trail 1561.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Up Alder Ridge and down Chik Tie would be slightly more epic and with the right conditions, just about the best trail in the state IMHO. Not sure why it would be closed at all... or, Up the road to the Chik Tie TH and OAB on Tie and back down Chikamin Ridge or Minnow Ridge to the car. Basalt is good but very overgrown as of last report. There's always "Dnalrag" too... If you want a looong 5K descent.

mtbr member
    Never been up Alder Ridge, but when we did Klone Peak a few years ago Upper ChikTie was totally hammered by motos...really deep ruts, and we must have been passed by over 100 moros during the climb. I'd be leary of its condition this late in the season.

Basalt was in pretty good shape. The trail that parallels the road below it was overgrown, but its easy to avoid by starting the ride climbing the road. Rock Creek trail does have some silly water bars on it that are annoying.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Borneo, I haven't ruled out Up Alder, down Chik tie like you are saying, but I'm trying to work out the logisitics of some partial shuttle and or a bail out option for anyone in my group who might not have the fitness for commitment like that. That is why I'm kind of dealing around FS6210 for some part of the journey.

Just got a call back from the FS and they confirmed website is out of date, Chik Tie 1561 is open so an OAB up Chik Tie might be a good option for us.....the debate continues with me and a few others in my clan

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm a big fan of Basalt Peak. No motos and a superb downhill

Basalt Peak Loop

mtbr member
    Never gone up Alder. Intimidated by topo map. Have shuttled Mad Lake to Chikamin Tie and that's a big day but the climb is low angle. Lots of Moto on mad lake.

Agree with Borneo that the full Chik Tie to Chik Creek decent is one of the best. Especially after rains to kill the dust. The bail out would be to ride down 6210 road.

Rock Creek is a cruiser and heavily treed/no views. Basalt Peak has amazing views of Glacier Peak that I would imagine are better post fire. And as rbwen said, no motos on that side of 6210.

An interesting route would be to climb Basalt via Rock Creek, up to the peak, exit the peak via one of the 6210 TH's (possible back-track if you don't want to climb), descend from end of road down lower Chik Tie, then Chik Creek to bottom of 6210. Multiple bail-outs but huge descent pay-off for work of getting to Basalt Peak for views. Could even do a mini-shuttle and leave a car at bottom of 6210 and start at Rock Creek.

Here's a video I posted in August of Lower Chik Tie and Creek descent. Chikamin Creek Trail Loop Video/RR

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Been a long time since I ran into you and your peeps on Chikamin Navigator. Lots of options indeed out there. No foolin', up Alder is a biotch in a big way. But, oh so worth it. Even dropping into Mad Lake fro that side is cool. But, upper Chik Tie where it's at this time of the year.

Edit: Apparently I still have no clue about how to add a picture. Or, delete one when it won't download....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lake Wenatchee / Chikamin Conditions-chik-tie.jpg  

mtbr member
    Ya, that was a random meeting in the woods. I'll try Alder before I get too old.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I rode the 1524/1534 loop on Saturday with a friend and the trail was in great condition. We're looking forward to riding up Alder to Mad Lake and down the Chikimin Tie trail in a few weeks. Can't go wrong with any trails in this area!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    We were out 9 strong Saturday morning as well. Parked at the intersection of 6200 and 6210 and made the road ride out to Rock Creek up to Basalt peak. Quite the grind. Trail was good, primitive, but all good generally. The lower rock creak section 1509 has some good horse damage but most of them seem not to have made the turn up 1538 to the basalt ridge. I was able to ride most all of it except a few techy spots. Others in my group had a long walk with their bike. I chose to ride, but frankly walking bikes was just about as fast. The trail basically required being stopped, or at redline if you chose to move either by foot or pedal.

After chilling at the peak, we started our decent down basalt and loved it. Made the turn on the connector trail 1539 down to FS RD 6210 at the top of Minnow ridge and finished down that to the car.

Probably the hardest 20 mile ride with 4K of vert I've ever done but a great one. It was one of those "special" days where we balanced just the right amount of pain, suffering, adversity, doubt, etc with good trails and a ripping decent that made us all forget it took 5 hours to reach the summit.

Coming down the way we did, it started with the burn area....loooooose surfing a rut, transitioned to nice high alpine woods, fast, primitive trail, transitioned again down 1539 to some newer sections, creek crossing etc with more lush brushes and foliage. Finally finishing down Minnow gave us the moto singletrack experience to get our full braaap on. Smiles all around was an understatement. Several different trail types and character are to be frank, awesome in one ride.

mtbr member
    You're making me jealous. Would you shuttle the road to rock creek next time. I just remember that being a lot longer than expected.

I bet some of those short steep climbs on Minnow had your legs screaming. That trail is mean...you think you're done climbing for the day, but wait there's more!

Post a GPS route if you can.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Minnow is funny that way. If you ride 'up' the trail, it's surprising how little climbing there is. Probably why it seems more uphill then downhill if coming down it at the end of a ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't think the road is worth a shuttle, it would have dropped a half hour of spinning off the ride but you don't save much or any of the vert....it's all along the river basically.

I saw this as the best "social" part of the ride and a good way to get people's motor started and up to operating temp before hitting the singletrack climb. Took us a half hour. Solo it probably would feel longer.

Some of the climbing on Minnow was a bit of a flow killer but that is a fun down.

Here it is on strava....I haven't sent it up to Garmin's site if that would be helpful let me know.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Basalt Peak, Smiles all around near Leavenworth | Times and Records | Strava